Dynasty Start Up Question

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Dynasty Start Up Question

Postby bucsrule » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:36 am

Hey guys. I've started a new Dynasty and I need some advice.

My plan was to have a vet draft followed by a rook draft. the rook order would be reverse to the vet. I thought that sounded good. To a few owners....not so much.

So the only options I can see are:

Combined draft.

Slotting Rook picks into the draft. (if you don't like the player at 1.12, you can take the 1.1 pick in the rook draft (not a rookie player. just the pick)

Two seperate draft orders for the vet and rook having nothing to do with each other.

My lack of understanding comes with the Slotting Rook picks. If you're going to take a pick, why not just take the rookie? Isn't that basically what slotting picks comes down too?

I commish a Redraft and a Keeper. This is my first Dynasty. Would appreciate any help. I mean...what is the standard idea for drafts in a Dynasty. I've only been in 1 actual Dynasty draft and my memory is failing as to how that went down.

Thank you for any forthcoming advice.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Dynasty Start Up Question

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 am

Include rookies in the startup the same as any player and then do your first rookie draft in 2018.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 am

The value difference between rookie 1.1 and 1.12 is not the same as the value difference between startup 1.1 and 1.12. That's why people don't want to go with the first suggestion.

Allowing people to draft picks allows you to do the startup draft now and a rookie draft a bit later in the offseason. That's a common approach when you want to get the league started but feel it's still too early in the offseason to draft rookies. It also allows an excuse for having two drafts, and drafts are fun. There might also be a lot of trading that goes down before the rookie draft, which could be interesting.

This late into the offseason, most dynasty leagues have probably already had their rookie draft, so there's less of a point in drafting picks. I'd just throw the rookies into the startup draft at this point, but there's nothing wrong with drafting picks and then having another rookie draft.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 am

In my startups so far Fournette and Davis are going in the 2nd round, McCaffrey and Mixon in the 3rd, Cook and Williams usually go around the 5th. You're basically giving the owner with the 12th pick a free 2nd or 3rd rounder. I would have ZERO interest in a startup league with a separate rookie draft, put them together and have the first rookie draft in 2018.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 am

Yeah...in february/March/April you can do rookie picks instead of players in the startup but now after everything is settled it should all be players.
There is 0 reason to have a separate rookie draft at this point of the off-season.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am

I think reversing the order for the rookie draft makes sense. 1.1 is inherently more valuable than 1.12. There may be more difference in the rookie pick values than the startup values, but it's still more fair than doing nothing. Would you trade OBJ for Hopkins and Corey Davis? For Hilton and Fournette? It's not as bad as people think. Reversing the order after the 2nd round is probably better, though.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:13 am

Tsunami wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am I think reversing the order for the rookie draft makes sense. 1.1 is inherently more valuable than 1.12. There may be more difference in the rookie pick values than the startup values, but it's still more fair than doing nothing. Would you trade OBJ for Hopkins and Corey Davis? For Hilton and Fournette? It's not as bad as people think. Reversing the order after the 2nd round is probably better, though.
In a startup I would absolutely NOT do either of those trades, and it's not even close. Sure in an established league if you have a stacked team you can make a move like that for OBJ, but in a startup that really sets you back.

I agree with the others, have every player in the pool including rookies.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 am

pokerface40 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:13 am
Tsunami wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am I think reversing the order for the rookie draft makes sense. 1.1 is inherently more valuable than 1.12. There may be more difference in the rookie pick values than the startup values, but it's still more fair than doing nothing. Would you trade OBJ for Hopkins and Corey Davis? For Hilton and Fournette? It's not as bad as people think. Reversing the order after the 2nd round is probably better, though.
In a startup I would absolutely NOT do either of those trades, and it's not even close. Sure in an established league if you have a stacked team you can make a move like that for OBJ, but in a startup that really sets you back.

I agree with the others, have every player in the pool including rookies.
The startup draft will be a snake I'm assuming?

1.1/2.24 = 1.12/2.1.

If I was in a startup draft that did a snake draft and then afterwards did a rookie draft with reverse order......

........I would leave the league at lightning speed.

Good on you for asking about it here on the forum before implementing. Guppy death trap has been avoided! Just do 1 big draft with rookies & vets.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:14 pm

bucsrule wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:36 am Hey guys. I've started a new Dynasty and I need some advice.

My plan was to have a vet draft followed by a rook draft. the rook order would be reverse to the vet. I thought that sounded good. To a few owners....not so much.

So the only options I can see are:

Combined draft.

Slotting Rook picks into the draft. (if you don't like the player at 1.12, you can take the 1.1 pick in the rook draft (not a rookie player. just the pick)

Two seperate draft orders for the vet and rook having nothing to do with each other.

My lack of understanding comes with the Slotting Rook picks. If you're going to take a pick, why not just take the rookie? Isn't that basically what slotting picks comes down too?

I commish a Redraft and a Keeper. This is my first Dynasty. Would appreciate any help. I mean...what is the standard idea for drafts in a Dynasty. I've only been in 1 actual Dynasty draft and my memory is failing as to how that went down.

Thank you for any forthcoming advice.
Hey Bucsrule--welcome to dynasty! I think you'll shortly come to appreciate why so many people shift predominantly to dynasty once they get well and truly into it.

Conducting the rookie draft in the reverse order of the start up is one of those ideas that seems to make reasonable sense at first but is a bit disastrous when you dive deeper into it. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, it impacts your ability to fill your league with the best owners as most (but not all) serious owners will avoid leagues that start this way in favor of:

-including the rookies themselves in the start up
-including the rookie picks in the startup and having a separate rookie draft after
-including a slot of rookie picks in the start up draft (so, you are taking the "1" slot which gives you 1.01, 2.01, 3.01, etc., or the 4 slot which gives you the 1.04, 2.04, 3.04, etc.

Five or so years ago option #3 was more common than it is now, when the first two seem to dominate the start up scene. There are pros and cons to each approach, but they mostly boil down to personal preference. For example, i favor the first bc it allows for a whole additional drafting experience and generates additional trade able commodities.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm

jordanzs wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 am

1.1/2.24 = 1.12/2.1.

If I was in a startup draft that did a snake draft and then afterwards did a rookie draft with reverse order......

Good on you for asking about it here on the forum before implementing. Guppy death trap has been avoided! Just do 1 big draft with rookies & vets.
This is nonsense. Nobody would trade 1.1/2.12 for 1.12/2.1. It's about a 10% loss in value the way I figure it. And you have that same loss in round 3/4, again in 5/6, etc. It accumulates to be more than the difference between rookie 1.1 and 1.12 most years. You can also snake the rookie draft to make up for some of that.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

The most fair is to include the rookies in your start up and hold your 1st rookie draft in 2018. Just piling on here, but I could never understand how it should be any other way.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm
jordanzs wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 am

1.1/2.24 = 1.12/2.1.

This is nonsense. Nobody would trade 1.1/2.12 for 1.12/2.1. It's about a 10% loss in value the way I figure it. And you have that same loss in round 3/4, again in 5/6, etc. It accumulates to be more than the difference between rookie 1.1 and 1.12 most years. You can also snake the rookie draft to make up for some of that.
Your reply is nonsense. But that's expected.

I've done lots of dynasty startups, and in the redrafters that I'm in, we do a random draft order generator to pick your draft slot.

I've seen savy owners take the 12 spot oftentimes before they take the 1spot.

Look at startup drafts from years past. You'll see many times that the 1.12/2.1 wrap came out better than the 1.1/2.12 wrap.

In my last startup draft (2015):

1.1: Dez Bryant
1.12: Mike Evans
2.1: AJ green
2.12: Brandon cooks.

If i had the 1.1 draft slot, would i trade the 1/1/2.12 straight up for the 1.12/2.1? Maybe but probably not. I would be a capitalist and ask for something more. But there's some years where I would.

BUT:

If I could get the 1.12/2.1 along with the 1.1 rookie pick, I would be all over that with lightning speed. Even if the rookie draft was a snake. That would be an unfair advantage. The only people who would disagree with this are guppies.

dlf4lyfe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dlf4lyfe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:43 pm

In our startup a few years back we did one big combined draft. 10 teams, 10 keepers. So not a true dynasty. Our subsequent drafts have been the same, combined draft with rookies & veterans. It has helped keep people interested and has made for some crazy drafts. We do reverse order from the previous season's standings and do not do snake. It has worked out well thus far. Hope that helps!
10 team | 10 Keepers | .5 ppr | QB | RBx2 | WRx2 | RB/WR/TE | WR/TE | K | D/ST

QB: Burrow | Prescott
RB: Chubb | Dobbins | Sanders | Edwards-Helaire | Patterson | Edmonds | Henderson | Edwards | Benjamin
WR/TE: Moore | London | Kelce | Cooks | Lockett | Lazard | Parker | Jones

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 pm

I've seen it done in a number of ways, and in leagues where the rookie draft order was inverse to the start-up, I've selected to go last each time (2x, but one was a 3RR, which made it even better). In those two rookie drafts I landed Amari and Zeke, and went to the finals (and sadly, lost) in year one in each league. Now, I obviously had to draft well, make solid moves along the way and have some luck to get where I got, but I do think that it's a viable approach to a league and despite what others say, didn't chase owners away (each team is a 32 team league).

That being said, I do think the optimal approach is to include rookies in the start-up, or, if you want to have two drafts, include the individual picks. Adding slots is just a lazy way to do it. Let people decide between 1.1 and Gurley (for example) on the clock. It will lead to more trading activity too during the startup.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

If your startup draft occurs before the actual NFL draft (February to the end of April), there is another good way to do it:

You do a startup draft and include rookie placeholder picks in the draft. So let's say you're on the clock at 2.10, instead of taking Jay Ajayi, let's say, you could take the 1.1 rookie pick.

Then once the NFL draft occurs, you'll have that rookie draft.

This way is totally fair but it does benefit savy owners over newbies.