Why is Perine being taken a round before Foreman?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Why is Perine being taken a round before Foreman?

Postby Vcize » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am I don't think people understand the RB position or the NFL. If any team, including Washington, thought Perone was a foundation type back that would command the ball because he is so unbelievably talented, they would have drafted him higher than round 4. Why would any NFL team pass on that type of back? Perine could develop into a nice rotational RB, but he will always just be a guy rather than be a stud RB.
I'm huge on Foreman (own him in all 3 of my leagues) and not particularly big on Perine (own him in 0 leagues) but this argument doesn't really make sense. For starters you could just as easily replace "round 4" with "round 3" and apply it to Foreman. But more importantly you're totally ignoring just how many teams HAVE gone out and found their feature back in round 4 or later. Quite a few of the current top 10-15 dynasty RBs were drafted in round 4 or later. Freeman, Ajayi, Howard, Miller.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:17 am
jdomer2403 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am 6 carries in a PRESEASON game and his future is determined. I love this forum. Buy at discount.
Perine going as high as 1.6 and Freeman routinely discussed as late 2nd round pick.
I don't get why this is still being thrown around like it means anything. Clearly both players have supporters ardent enough to spend draft capital higher than others. These two players have had statistically overlapping draft ranges all summer and are literally being drafted within a few spots of each other according to ADP and positional ranking.

I don't own either player but again warn people against projecting their own biases and hopes on miniscule sample sizes. There's a ton of football to be played and injuries/news to humble even the surest of GM's. I've been around here for a long-bleep time and it happens every year. It's never as black and white as people think.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 pm

jdomer2403 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am 6 carries in a PRESEASON game and his future is determined. I love this forum. Buy at discount.
If the discount cost a 2nd draft pick, wasn't that his true price all along? His early draft stock was highly inflated and never justified.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

remedy29 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 pm
If the discount cost a mid 2nd draft pick, wasn't that his true price all along? His early draft stock was highly inflated and never justified.

21TD
Role Player
Role Player

Postby 21TD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I took perine at 1.11 over njoku and others and would it again. He will get an opportunity at some point.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

After the 1st round of preseason games I'd be gritting my teeth a little if I owned Perine I must admit .. Ugly, ugly fumble, kind that puts you on the bench (see Matt Jones as an example)
@PlankMelody

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Wasn't just the fumble, dropped a critical 3rd-down pass with nobody around him and got crushed on a blitz pick up, apparently he's been struggling in pass pro all camp
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 am last night
Fortunately, as with every 2017 rookie, there are a bunch of other nights remaining. Almost all of them, in fact.

But i get it: its a quick drum to bang. Foreman good. Perine bad. Troll some.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:28 pm

He isn't being taken whole round earlier. But Perine has more college production 3 years vs just 1 and a better situation
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

rithkhmer
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby rithkhmer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

thank you so much for your sharing this nice article,
I really like to reading your blog !

pirates of the caribbean 5

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Vcize wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am
remedy29 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am I don't think people understand the RB position or the NFL. If any team, including Washington, thought Perone was a foundation type back that would command the ball because he is so unbelievably talented, they would have drafted him higher than round 4. Why would any NFL team pass on that type of back? Perine could develop into a nice rotational RB, but he will always just be a guy rather than be a stud RB.
I'm huge on Foreman (own him in all 3 of my leagues) and not particularly big on Perine (own him in 0 leagues) but this argument doesn't really make sense. For starters you could just as easily replace "round 4" with "round 3" and apply it to Foreman. But more importantly you're totally ignoring just how many teams HAVE gone out and found their feature back in round 4 or later. Quite a few of the current top 10-15 dynasty RBs were drafted in round 4 or later. Freeman, Ajayi, Howard, Miller.
So...we are drafting Perine in front of Dalvin Cook bc NFL draft round means nothing? Ok. But that is dumb. You may not think so, but being drafted in the 3rd round says something for the team drafting a RB. They didn't draft Foreman to cover punts on special teams, they drafted him to be the number 2 RB right away with the potential to start down the road.
Perine and Foreman aren't being drafted at 2.02 and 2.03, they are being drafted at 1.06 and 2.07 range. That is a huge disparrity, hence this post.
The question is, why? Foreman has the draft pedigree, has the athletic profile, has size, has speed, has college production and was drafted to a run first team vs Washington who only runs to keep a defense honest. Why was Perine ever drafted a whole round in front of Foreman? It never made sense.
Was the reason because Perine was the assumed week 1 stater I 2017? That was a pipe dream, you need a better reason.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:42 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 pm
If the discount cost a 2nd draft pick, wasn't that his true price all along? His early draft stock was highly inflated and never justified.
This was the problem. He should have never elevated up that high to begin with. Some people will be kicking themselves due to overdrafting based off situation or pushing Foreman down way too far. Far too many drafts had Foreman falling to the 3rd round.

Nobody is saying hey sell Perine now for cheap that's silly. But if Perine doesn't beat out Kelley this year there will be a ton of his owners stuck who drafted him solely for immediate production vs overall talent.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

TheGoat21
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheGoat21 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I took Foreman with the 11th pick and the owner with the 12th pick (a Texans fan) took Perine.

I just accepted a trade with him where I gave up Foreman and a projected late 2019 3rd for Perine, a projected early 2018 2nd and a projected middle 2019 2nd. I'm not high on Perine so I then spun him for a projected another projected early 2018 2nd. Shows everyone values players differently and depends on league owners.

I was high on Foreman and didn't want to trade him, but everyone has a price. I think a total of 3 2nds (most projected early) for him and a 3rd paid off. Thoughts?
12 Team Superflex .5ppr / .8ppr for TE
Start: QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, 2 Flex, SFlex

QB: Dak, Fields, Dobbs, Bagent
RB: JT, Bijan, Gibbs, Dobbins, Jackson, Vaughn
WR: Jefferson, Chase, Diontae, JSN, QJ, Flowers, Elijah, Downs, Nacua, Boutte, Phillips, Ross, Palmer, Tolbert
TE: Pitts, Fant, Ferguson, Likely, Turner, Albert O

2x 2025 1st

10 team .5ppr
Start QB,2RB,3WR,TE, 2 Flex

QB: Fields, Dak
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, Akers, Zeke
WR: JJeff, CD, JSN, Downs, Elijah, Mooney, Meyers, Doubs, Reed
TE: Kittle, Njoku, Musgrave, Albert O, Kmet

2024 1st, 2x 2025 1st

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:36 pm

TheGoat21 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm I took Foreman with the 11th pick and the owner with the 12th pick (a Texans fan) took Perine.

I just accepted a trade with him where I gave up Foreman and a projected late 2019 3rd for Perine, a projected early 2018 2nd and a projected middle 2019 2nd. I'm not high on Perine so I then spun him for a projected another projected early 2018 2nd. Shows everyone values players differently and depends on league owners.

I was high on Foreman and didn't want to trade him, but everyone has a price. I think a total of 3 2nds (most projected early) for him and a 3rd paid off. Thoughts?
If you take the names out of the equation you basically traded 2 late firsts and a late 2019 3rd this year for 2 early 2018 2nds and a mid 2019 2nd, considering how deep this rookie class supposedly is with talent compared to others I'd say this years picks had more value even if they were the same round, let alone later ones (also projecting any picks 2 years out is a bit foolish).

I think Foreman has the chance to be a solid contributor over the next few years at least and I'm not especially high on Perine but I still find it very hard to see how you won either of these trades given what a dart throw picks tend to be after the 1st round in rookie drafts and I'm pretty sure you lost out unless you can nail a couple sleepers over the next couple years (statistically unlikely that they'd all hit though).
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

TheGoat21
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheGoat21 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:36 pm
TheGoat21 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm I took Foreman with the 11th pick and the owner with the 12th pick (a Texans fan) took Perine.

If you take the names out of the equation you basically traded 2 late firsts and a late 2019 3rd this year for 2 early 2018 2nds and a mid 2019 2nd, considering how deep this rookie class supposedly is with talent compared to others I'd say this years picks had more value even if they were the same round, let alone later ones (also projecting any picks 2 years out is a bit foolish).

I think Foreman has the chance to be a solid contributor over the next few years at least and I'm not especially high on Perine but I still find it very hard to see how you won either of these trades given what a dart throw picks tend to be after the 1st round in rookie drafts and I'm pretty sure you lost out unless you can nail a couple sleepers over the next couple years (statistically unlikely that they'd all hit though).
All I started with was Foreman. So I traded Foreman and a 2019 3rd for a net of two early 2018 2nds and a 2019 2nd. It is also only a 10 person league so the 11th and 12th picks were early 2nds.

Perine was something I got in the original Foreman trade. I didn't trade both Perine and Foreman for the net haul if that makes sense. This clarification makes a major difference in the value of the trade.

So taking the names out of the equation I traded an early 2017 2nd and a 2019 3rd for two early 2018 2nds and a 2019 2nd (no longer projecting).
12 Team Superflex .5ppr / .8ppr for TE
Start: QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, 2 Flex, SFlex

QB: Dak, Fields, Dobbs, Bagent
RB: JT, Bijan, Gibbs, Dobbins, Jackson, Vaughn
WR: Jefferson, Chase, Diontae, JSN, QJ, Flowers, Elijah, Downs, Nacua, Boutte, Phillips, Ross, Palmer, Tolbert
TE: Pitts, Fant, Ferguson, Likely, Turner, Albert O

2x 2025 1st

10 team .5ppr
Start QB,2RB,3WR,TE, 2 Flex

QB: Fields, Dak
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, Akers, Zeke
WR: JJeff, CD, JSN, Downs, Elijah, Mooney, Meyers, Doubs, Reed
TE: Kittle, Njoku, Musgrave, Albert O, Kmet

2024 1st, 2x 2025 1st