Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 am

SCYCPA wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am
Igwebuike 4 Prez wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am You sound more upset that he didn't take your counter offer (which is less value than the offer he accepted) than concerned he is going to undermine the league.
I don't care about the counter offer. I felt it was a reasonable effort (not knowing he was rebuilding) but he drew a hard line in the sand that I was going to grossly overpay him for the pick that I told him three times I really wasn't all that interested in.
I'm more confused about him asking for the universe in a deal and then refusing to discuss it at all...then turning around and accepting an offer that was worth less than half of the deal that he said was an absolute "take it or leave it" deal and he refused to move off.
Sounds like to me the owner that ended up doing the deal had more dialogue with the new owner. My guess is they chatted over email or text and rapport was created between the two and a deal got done. Sometimes it's building a relationship that gets deals done. Could be your dealings with him helped the other owner get a deal done. I have seen this happen a lot and lesson has been learned. Any offer no matter how ridiculous is a jumping off point.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:18 am

I would say the accepted trade was much less than what he was asking from you but I could see him taking it over the one you offered, especially given that he is likely in the mindset of trying to make this team his and get players he believes in on his team if he believes in Howard more than gronk. I definitely agree, though, he took way less than what he said he would need from you
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 am

The trade he ended up taking was a bad move for him but your entire first paragraph makes no sense. The trade he offered you to kick things off was fair. In fact, I would take 1.1/Rodgers over Arob/2018 1st/1.11 pretty easily personally.

The trade you countered with was also fair, but I could see how he would prefer to keep his side. Again, I would personally prefer his side with the 1.1 in that deal, even though it is close (a lot of people are pretty down on Gronk right now, and he seems to be one of them).

Given that you think deal 1 was not close, deal 2 should have been an easy accept for him, and the angry/name calling rhetoric you're using in describing him because of it, I think it's fairly obvious why he ended up taking a lesser deal from another owner. It sounds like you're probably a chore to work with, value your own players too highly, get bitey and snappy in your replies. It's not uncommon for someone, especially a new owner, to just move on from someone they're not enjoying discussing a trade with even if it means taking less from someone they have a better rapport with.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 am

Vcize wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 am The trade he ended up taking was a bad move for him but your entire first paragraph makes no sense. The trade he offered you to kick things off was fair. In fact, I would take 1.1/Rodgers over Arob/2018 1st/1.11 pretty easily personally.

The trade you countered with was also fair, but I could see how he would prefer to keep his side. Again, I would personally prefer his side with the 1.1 in that deal, even though it is close (a lot of people are pretty down on Gronk right now, and he seems to be one of them).

Given that you think deal 1 was not close, deal 2 should have been an easy accept for him, and the angry/name calling rhetoric you're using in describing him because of it, I think it's fairly obvious why he ended up taking a lesser deal from another owner. It sounds like you're probably a chore to work with, value your own players too highly, get bitey and snappy in your replies. It's not uncommon for someone, especially a new owner, to just move on from someone they're not enjoying discussing a trade with even if it means taking less from someone they have a better rapport with.
You misread the first offer it was I give A-Rob, A-Rod, 1.11 and 2018 1st for 2017 1.1. I give 4 assets for the 1.1.
I countered trying to bring it to something more reasonable and he shot back at me in an email how much he hates Gronk (even though his team is named after Gronk) and that the only trade he would do was A-Rob or Thomas, 1.11 and 2018 1st for 1.1 (even though I told him I viewed A-Rob and Thomas both as more valuable than 1.1)
I also did not get bitey or snappy in my replies to him, what I said in the post was what I thought...not what I replied to him
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 am

SCYCPA wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 am
Vcize wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 am The trade he ended up taking was a bad move for him but your entire first paragraph makes no sense. The trade he offered you to kick things off was fair. In fact, I would take 1.1/Rodgers over Arob/2018 1st/1.11 pretty easily personally.

You misread the first offer it was I give A-Rob, A-Rod, 1.11 and 2018 1st for 2017 1.1. I give 4 assets for the 1.1.
I also did not get bitey or snappy in my replies to him, what I said in the post was what I thought...not what I replied to him
You're right, I did misread that. Yeah, that is a horrible initial offer he made, and while I still prefer his side slightly in your counter offer it was a lot more fair than his initial offer.

Carry on then, I see where you're coming from. I have this in one of my leagues too. This guy is always accepting awful trades where people are ripping him off, even after he's rejected what I think are pretty fair offers for those same assets.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:38 am

Igwebuike 4 Prez wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am You sound more upset that he didn't take your counter offer (which is less value than the offer he accepted) than concerned he is going to undermine the league.
You would trade Gronk and Snead for 1.7, Carroo, and Jonathan Williams?

The DLF ADP of Gronk is 24 which is the lowest since 2014. The ADP of rookie #7 is 71. This is crazy talk to defend this. That isn't even a good trade for Snead without Gronk.

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:38 am
You would trade Gronk and Snead for 1.7, Carroo, and Jonathan Williams?

The DLF ADP of Gronk is 24 which is the lowest since 2014. The ADP of rookie #7 is 71. This is crazy talk to defend this. That isn't even a good trade for Snead without Gronk.
What are you talking about?

Go Bucks
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Go Bucks » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Most of OP's posts are of the same variety : Nobody will trade with me, I only receive lowballs, I have no patience for these morons. If the hobby is only aggravating you, it might be time to abandon FF and find a more suitable hobby. Another thing to consider is that typically if an owner is being sent lowballs by multiple owners, it's often in response to your offers which could be deemed to be lowballs. What % of your offers get accepted ? If it's below 20%, then you should look in the mirror instead of deflecting blame.
Not trying to be a jerk here, just an observation.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm

I'd just hope this "asshole", "peckerhead" owner who's new to the league and making "dumbass" trades isn't a lurker or participant on the forums if I were you. It's one thing to ask the community's opinion about what went down in your league. Another to denigrate the other owner over it in a public forum where it could come back to bite you down the road.

This trade didn't go down, and you might not have much luck in the future with him if he's reading how you're characterizing your negotiations. Food for thought.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Mako
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Mako » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Go Bucks wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 pm 1) Most of OP's posts are of the same variety : Nobody will trade with me, I only receive lowballs, I have no patience for these morons. If the hobby is only aggravating you, it might be time to abandon FF and find a more suitable hobby.

2) Another thing to consider is that typically if an owner is being sent lowballs by multiple owners, it's often in response to your offers which could be deemed to be lowballs. What % of your offers get accepted ? If it's below 20%, then you should look in the mirror instead of deflecting blame.
Not trying to be a jerk here, just an observation.
1) I agree with the first point. It might be time for the OP to step away from dynasty and try a best ball league. Draft a roster and don't worry about waivers or trades. Perhaps a year or 2 away could help. A hobby shouldn't be this frustrating.

2) Or it's one of those leagues where multiple owners think that you're foolish enough to accept 20 cents for 1 dollar. I've been playing fantasy sports for almost 30 years, and there is almost always an owner or 2 in every league. My experience says that for every 1 owner that you can negotiate with and eventually get a favourable deal from them, there are many more who will only trade if they completely rip you off. Then there's the third group who is so bad that you wonder if they're colluding.

OP got a bad offer, tried a counter which was rejected, and then watched him make an even worse deal with someone else. That isn't the OP's fault.

It reminds me of a league where in 2012, I offered a 2013 1st for his 34 year old Reggie Wayne around Week 12 to a team already eliminated from playoff contention. That owner rejected the offer, then traded his 2013 1.02 for Jermaine Gresham. Like the OP, it was a WTF is he doing trade.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 am

the trade accepted was poor for the new owner in my opinion, this thread however is played out monthly(or perhaps weekly) on the forum . I didn't get a deal done and the other owner is an idiot for not letting me have a great deal. I have seen and even done it myself - an owner trying to trade an asset to several owners and have no success for whatever reason - just finally get tired of shopping and take the next deal that hits the in box . Every new owner will make mistakes and must get his values aligned with the values of certain players or assets in a given league . one reason trade spammers spam is because every once in awhile they get a steal of a deal from someone that is worn down .
Best to just keep a mental or file index of owners tendencies and put that to use when dealing with them and not get frustrated by other owners transactions as it will only put you off your own game.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 am

my guess is, the owner felt he could get arob from you and any counter with him (that was realistic)...he was accepting...you just never sent anything involving him (assuming he's not a peckerhead> lol). you then cut off talks because your "only desireable's" with his 1.1 were arob and thomas (asshole for asking for guys valued close to 1.1)...both of which you told him that you werent moving. there really was no reason for him to continue negotiations. likely in his mind, because you wanted 1.1 with the 2 wr's (that we all build around)....your counter just didnt interest him. perhaps gronk for 1.1 would have gotten it done, but he had no interest if you wanted his wr's. (he would have had noone left) he either moved on or was already chatting with someone else......not much you can do here.

the accepted trade itself is not a bad trade imo. not 1 i would make without knowing some things...but perhaps this new owner is planning on selling everything...sounds like he may have some guys worth a future 1st or 2nd....and then a few guys he may sell in season...i would not worry for the time being...if you are worried about this newbie ruining the league. it may very well be all your leagumates "fault" for low balling him. that may be the best offer that he's received (in his opinion). do you trust your commish to bring in good owners?

there are alot of ways to build a team...i'll always give a new owner the benefit of the doubt unless anything gets out of hand. the purest example i can give, i left a few teams last year...but followed my immediate departure...all of them were looking to make changes immediately. i saw a few deals that went down....and the new owner certainly saw things differently than i had..... im not here to argue which way is right...but simply point to the fact that two sets of eye's can look at the exact same thing....and have differing opinions of which direction is best for a team. another example that comes to mind, is the new guy comming to the league....and having two nice offers sitting there.....and choosing the other....and as things played out...i coulda really used that player or pick. (perhaps i should have just met his demands if you will...)

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:05 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm I'd just hope this "asshole", "peckerhead" owner who's new to the league and making "dumbass" trades isn't a lurker or participant on the forums if I were you. It's one thing to ask the community's opinion about what went down in your league. Another to denigrate the other owner over it in a public forum where it could come back to bite you down the road.

This trade didn't go down, and you might not have much luck in the future with him if he's reading how you're characterizing your negotiations. Food for thought.
I agree
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:48 am

I don't see the harm in coming to a fantasy football forum to blow off some steam about fantasy football. Who cares in the end. If the dude is around and sees it them w/e. It doesn't seem he was getting a deal done anyway. If dude feels he needs to complain a little about a inexperienced owner then he should be much more welcome to do it here than blowing up in league chat and actually hurting the league.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:31 am

I don't get the "who cares" attitude when someone makes a stupid trade. I care. You're giving good players to a competitor which gives him an unfair advantage. I don't want my fantasy leagues to devolve into a contest to see who can trade rape the new owner first. The balance of the league requires that all owners be competent. Players like this ruin the game. I guess you might not mind if he just gives you his money every year, but if you aren't his trading partner he might be giving your money to someone else along with his.