Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 am
Tsunami wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pmDifferent owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid. The idea is to get as much value as you can, which means finding which other owner has the highest valuation for your player and getting as close to that as you can.
Yes, it's generally wise to get the most value out of your player or pick in a trade. However, I will trade the 2017 1.01 for Jamison Crowder if that's who I really want, and the Crowder owner will accept nothing less. Yes, I "lose" the trade on value, but I get the player I want, and that's all I care about. The other owners can go screw themselves because I'm building my team how I want, and there is absolutely zero cheating or collusion going on.
I did say there is a justification if the two biggest Crowder fans in the world happen to be in the same league. But usually a better solution to that situation is to find someone else they prefer to Crowder and do a 3-way trade. If the Crowder owner will take Moncrief instead of 1.1 you can still come out ahead.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm

I think he under-sold. I also think that the deal he took is no worse than the deal you offered.

Gronk makes no sense for a team in rebuild. I like Perkins, but seem to be on my own in that regard. So he has your 2018 1st, a guy most think is a JAG and a high-risk TE. Meanwhile Snead and Brown, as I suspect you well know, are both candidates to jump in value and both have a shot at top 25 WR value.

Or, he gives up two guys he may well not believe in and gets a first, the 1.07 a valuable handcuff RB and alright, I can't defend Caroo. I also can't defend his valuation of Thomas and A Rob, but you can't control another owner's position.

I don't think he should have taken either offer, but if you wanted the 1.01 from an inexperienced owner, you shouldn't have tried to nab Snead and Brown along with it. Basically, I think you got greedy and now you're bummed you missed out.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Factory of Sadness wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm I think he under-sold. I also think that the deal he took is no worse than the deal you offered.

Gronk makes no sense for a team in rebuild. I like Perkins, but seem to be on my own in that regard. So he has your 2018 1st, a guy most think is a JAG and a high-risk TE. Meanwhile Snead and Brown, as I suspect you well know, are both candidates to jump in value and both have a shot at top 25 WR value.

Or, he gives up two guys he may well not believe in and gets a first, the 1.07 a valuable handcuff RB and alright, I can't defend Caroo. I also can't defend his valuation of Thomas and A Rob, but you can't control another owner's position.

I don't think he should have taken either offer, but if you wanted the 1.01 from an inexperienced owner, you shouldn't have tried to nab Snead and Brown along with it. Basically, I think you got greedy and now you're bummed you missed out.

Wrong, if you read what I wrote, first of all, I did not know he was rebuilding until after he told me in response to that trade, I did not know he was an inexperienced owner, this was my first interaction with him. I offered him that trade because he had that name of Gronk in his team name. I also offered him 2 1st round picks with Gronk so it was not Snead, Brown, plus 1.1 for Gronk alone.

I got ticked at him because he gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't give him A-Rob or Thomas plus the 2 1st round picks for the 1.1, he wouldn't discuss it further...then proceeded to accept a trade for value far, far less than the value of the deal that he gave me the ultimatum on. Even after I responded to him that I have 2 17 1sts and 2 18 1sts (and was in process of acquiring more) available that I was willing to work out with him for for the 1.1, he never responded to that and took far less that that.

This was his "take it or leave it" deal: A-Rob/Thomas and 2 1sts for 1.1
This was what he accepted: J-Will, Carroo, 2 1sts for Perriman, Agholor, 1.1
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Just to be clear, this is what you posted-
"and I offer him Gronk, Perkins and my 2018 1st for 1.1, John Brown and Willie Snead."
If you offered him two additional firsts, then of course he's a loon for rejecting that and taking the deal he took. If so though, why did you post what I quote here?

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I put in the trade comments that if he preferred a late 17 1st or another 18 1st I would put that in for perkins. I think I put that in another post somewhere.

But again, I didn't care about the counter. It was the difference between his bottom line that he wouldn't discuss versus what he accepted
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Having good people skills and building rapport comes into play here..I would just started conversation about his team and who he was looking at to take at 1.01 if he were to use it..just being nice and making conversation to build rapport...and probably stated after he drew his line in the sand that Id be willing to negotiate and make something work if ur gonna make a move involving 1.01..Ending things on a good note with a decent relationship goes a long way if ur goal is to make trades happen for yourself...He might of came back or still made the trade, but at least u know u tried ur best

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm

SCYCPA wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 pm
Factory of Sadness wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm I think he under-sold. I also think that the deal he took is no worse than the deal you offered.

Wrong, if you read what I wrote, first of all, I did not know he was rebuilding until after he told me in response to that trade, I did not know he was an inexperienced owner, this was my first interaction with him. I offered him that trade because he had that name of Gronk in his team name. I also offered him 2 1st round picks with Gronk so it was not Snead, Brown, plus 1.1 for Gronk alone.

I got ticked at him because he gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't give him A-Rob or Thomas plus the 2 1st round picks for the 1.1, he wouldn't discuss it further
...then proceeded to accept a trade for value far, far less than the value of the deal that he gave me the ultimatum on. Even after I responded to him that I have 2 17 1sts and 2 18 1sts (and was in process of acquiring more) available that I was willing to work out with him for for the 1.1, he never responded to that and took far less that that.

This was his "take it or leave it" deal: A-Rob/Thomas and 2 1sts for 1.1
This was what he accepted: J-Will, Carroo, 2 1sts for Perriman, Agholor, 1.1
So you got mad because he told you who and what he wanted for his pick to save the time and hassle of sending pointless offers? Sounds like you need better people skills or just stop trying to back people into a corner in deals. If I attempt to acquire a pick I'm only asking what they want, when they respond that is 100% up to them who they want. If it's too much I say I appreciate the response and move on. Not get pissed off or call it an ultimatum. It's his team, he can move it for what he sees fit, or not move it.

To be honest through this whole exchange he may be newer to dynasty but you seem like the ultra aggressive type nobody wants to deal with. I'm still not even sure why you're still upset or complaining. A deal was made right? So why are you still so ticked and insist on calling the other owner multiple names which you've done?
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 am

You should have offered what you did for just the 1.1 without Snead and Smoky Brown.. You were greedy and he moved on and he got fleeced in the end and now your crying in your soup!
Seems to me you have a lot to learn if your on here crying about it..
Standard 10 man
QB Rogers - Big Ben- Jackson-
RB Gurley- Bell- Mixon - Conner- M Brown - Burkhead, Warren, Ballage
WR OBJ , Julio- AJG- Kupp- Sanders- John Brown- Allison- MVS- Hogan - T Williams- Humphries
TE- Ertz - Reed-