Sell me on this Best Ball League...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Sell me on this Best Ball League...

Postby keebs3 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 pm

So we have a group of owners that are in several leagues together, including standard, auction w/2 keepers, and full dynasty (in Sig).

I brought up the desire to add another Dynasty league with either a Superflex or 2QB option. Also considering a Rookie only Taxi squad.
A couple of the owners are suggesting using the Best Ball league along with the settings above. I'm not sold on the idea- to me it seems like a Fan Duel league that you have to keep all year- Have a draft and good luck. Part of me thinks this takes the fun out of it, while I understand when we are in multiple leagues it might be too much.
We also have some new people to dynasty potentially in this league. Our original goal was to start a league with highly committed players. That seems counterintuitive when doing a best Ball league.. However, Dynasty has taken over my priority and would like to own at least two teams.

So convince me. Is this a good idea? How can this league work? What settings would you like to see?

Keebs
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Sell me on this Best Ball League...

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:37 am

Ya know that feeling when you can't decide between starting Dez or DT and then DeSean Jackson outperforms them both? Best ball leagues reward depth and don't require prestidigitation. The owner who should win, wins. They don't lose because they picked the wrong kicker.

And drafting is the fun part after all. Just count it as a mock and join another league if you want more.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:08 pm

What he said. Plus you can customize the payouts differently.

Obviously a payout for the Champion, but you can also pay out for 2nd & 3rd place, or You could have a payout for highest weekly result, or best QB performance or best 4 week period.

I dont pay less attention to my best ball leagues, I just dont have to worry about whether or not I missed out on any of my lineups.

You can still have waivers weekly if you want, or bi-weekly, or monthly. So there are means to keep the interest going.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Good points, well taken.
Thanks for the feedback!

Keebs
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

I LOVE best-ball leagues for the reasons listed above. For me, fantasy football is about roster construction and not about setting weekly line-ups. I set them because I have to, but I think that the real skill is in building rosters. As such, I prefer best-ball leagues -- and I'm fine with weekly add/drops and trades, of course... It doesn't change how much attention I pay, but it does save some time (and frees up Sunday mornings!!).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 pm

I have tried to get one of my leagues to go to best ball, but there isn't any support for it. I think it helps prevent having zeros in the lineup due to in-game injury and late scratches. Nothing more frustrating to see a player end up not playing in a 3:00 Sunday game, when it's too late to make a line-up change. I think best-ball helps ensure the better team wins more often than not versus whoever guesses better on who to start.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 am

Best ball also adds some value to the boom-bust flier types, which can be fun. Those end of bench guys you like will never see your regular league starting lineups, but might have a big game and help you out in best ball.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:52 am

It also does the same thing that removing kickers and defenses does: it allows you to play more fantasy football because you are doing less busy work.

I can do more startups, participate in more leagues and play more fantasy football when some of them are best ball leagues, MFL10s, leagues with no weekly kicker add drop juggle, etc.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:26 am

I want to join a best ball dynasty badly. Like others said though, still allow waivers and trading during the season I just don't want to worry about starting lineups.

KenAndTonic
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KenAndTonic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am

I love the dynasty leagues I am in and have recently got into best ball, which i also like. That said, i really don't understand the appeal of combining the two. The fun of best ball is drafting, which is substantially reduced once you get past the start up. And by not being able to trade, that really impairs an owner's ability to improve their team, which is a large part of the fun in a dynasty league. I imagine there has to be a high amount of ownership churn from year to year in such a format.
Team #1 (co-owned), 1QB
QB - Joe Burrow, Jared Goff, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, James White, JK Dobbins, Nyheim Hines
WR - AJ Brown, Dionae Johnson, AJ Green, Curtis Samuel, Brandin Cooks, Michael Pittman
TE - Austin Hooper, OJ Howard

Team #2, Superflex
QB - Desean Watson, Carson Wentz, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, JK Dobbins, JD McKissic, Tarik Cohen
WR - DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Tyler Lockett, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders
TE - Junno Smith, Evan Engram

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:38 am

KenAndTonic wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am I love the dynasty leagues I am in and have recently got into best ball, which i also like. That said, i really don't understand the appeal of combining the two. The fun of best ball is drafting, which is substantially reduced once you get past the start up. And by not being able to trade, that really impairs an owner's ability to improve their team, which is a large part of the fun in a dynasty league. I imagine there has to be a high amount of ownership churn from year to year in such a format.
I think that you're confusing two things. Best ball doesn't mean no transactions; best ball means that, when the week's games end, the website automatically sets your line-up for the completed week with the line-up that would score the most points.

You can still have waivers, trades, etc. in a best ball league.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am

KenAndTonic wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 amby not being able to trade
Yeah, don't confuse best ball with fire and forget things like MFL10s.

Best Ball strictly only means how you determine which players on a team score. That's it. It doesn't mean total points instead of head to head, or no waivers, etc.

You can do or not do all those other things as well.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC