Most Athletic Rookie TE

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Most Athletic Rookie TE

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am To the OP who is worried about Njoku running the "slowest 40". Njoku is still REALLY fast for a tight end.
Didn't want this to get lost in the mix.

If any of these three were the only TE in their class, the only discussion we'd be having is who is the #2 TE prospect.

Sorry Maxx Williams.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:44 am

FFFAN wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:33 am
nabright wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:03 am
FFFAN wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:12 am Howard is extremely overrated. He survived because he played on a dominant Alabama team that constantly had big leads which lead to great play action opportunities. If you watch his highlight package you'll see many of his grabs come against helpless linebackers who pinched up expecting a run due to their team being behind by 30+.

Engram is easily the best pass catching TE in this class and if you watch his film you'll realize the nightmare he'll present to defenses.

1 . Engram
2. Njoku
3. Everett
4. kittle
5. Howard

When you factor in draft pedigree
1 . Engram
2. Njoku
3. Howard
4. Everett
5. Kittle
You can't be serious. Howard behind Everett and Kittle? I guess the NFL scouts have no idea what they are doing. How OJ got his yards at Bama is irrelevant. If you watched Alabama play, you'd know that he was severely underused. They were terrible at designing plays to get him the ball. He still showed good route-running ability when he was out there. He is going to be a matchup nightmare in the NFL. He is 6'6, ran a 4.5, and is a big TE. Not to mention he was graded as the best run-blocker in the draft class. I can understand wanting Engram over Howard because of his college production and obvious pass-catching ability. However, I think he will take the longest to get the targets needed to be fantasy relevant. He is behind OBJ, Marshall, and Shepard. With him not being able to block, he is going to get limited touches in his first year. Howard will be out there starting from day one.
What a silly counter argument. How much did those same scouts know when Jermaine Gresham went 21st overall bypassing Rob Gronkowski (42nd) and Jimmy Graham (95th)? Heck, let's throw in Aaron Hernandez and Dennis Pitta at 113 and 114.

Howard is a big fast guy but he's a product of the Alabama system for reasons I mentioned in my original response. Ironically enough, I think he'll have a career that rivals Jermaine Gresham's
This is nonsense. Gronk was coming off a serious back surgery after missing his junior year, otherwise he would of been drafted much earlier. Graham was still very much an unknown quantity converting from basketball which was more of a novelty at that time. Aaron Hernandez had huge off the field character concerns....

You state that Howard is a product of the Alabama system, ironically that is true, but for completely different reasons than you believe. Alabama was dominant and their offense was not predicated on the pass while the TE was virtually nonexistent. The Alabama passing offense finished #87 in the country for ypg. Given that Alabama essentially had an NFL defense and a very good run game, this makes sense however it resulted in Howard being completely misused and underused. I think it is telling that you mention Howard's highlight footage, my guess is that is all you have ever seen. Howard was fed the ball predominantly underneath and he routinely turned nothing into 5 -10 yard gains. Regarding the highlight plays that you dismiss, it needs to be pointed out that it was both LBs and DBs that Howard torched. If a LB takes even one false step, Howard is gone. I am not going to repeat all the positives on Howard, but it is quite possible he is the best TE prospect to enter the league since Gronk and he has gone to team with a coach who is very, very good at using the TE. It would not surprise me if Howard is in discussion for the TE1 3-5 years from now.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:58 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 amPeople keep comparing Engram to Jordan Reed. Engram's measurables are closer to Julio Jones than Jordan Reed. Howard himself is bigger, faster, and more agile than Mike Evans, but Engram is a freak. TEs usually have a rough transition to the NFL but no one should be surprised if these two light up the league.
The Reed comp is about his size and projected role in an NFL offense (i.e. not playing in-line or being required to block), NOTHING to do with comparing his athleticism. It's been quite rare that an NFL offense will feature a player like that. If they aren't a featured part of the offense they aren't going to be fantasy relevant because they will only be playing on passing downs.

My point is that, maybe I'm just slow to the party...but I'm still nervous about investing highly in that type of player. I still prefer to target a more traditional in-line blocking tight end that has the best chance to play every down and ALSO has the athletic upside like Howard & Njoku.
Last edited by btv802 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:59 am

Goirish374 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am
Tsunami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am To the OP who is worried about Njoku running the "slowest 40". Njoku is still REALLY fast for a tight end.
Didn't want this to get lost in the mix.

If any of these three were the only TE in their class, the only discussion we'd be having is who is the #2 TE prospect.

Sorry Maxx Williams.
Hey I wrote that :dance:
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am Hey I wrote that :dance:

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Ack--I gorked up the quotes!

Apologies to both!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 am

dm1129 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:44 am
This is nonsense. Gronk was coming off a serious back surgery after missing his junior year, otherwise he would of been drafted much earlier. Graham was still very much an unknown quantity converting from basketball which was more of a novelty at that time. Aaron Hernandez had huge off the field character concerns....

You state that Howard is a product of the Alabama system, ironically that is true, but for completely different reasons than you believe. Alabama was dominant and their offense was not predicated on the pass while the TE was virtually nonexistent. The Alabama passing offense finished #87 in the country for ypg. Given that Alabama essentially had an NFL defense and a very good run game, this makes sense however it resulted in Howard being completely misused and underused. I think it is telling that you mention Howard's highlight footage, my guess is that is all you have ever seen. Howard was fed the ball predominantly underneath and he routinely turned nothing into 5 -10 yard gains. Regarding the highlight plays that you dismiss, it needs to be pointed out that it was both LBs and DBs that Howard torched. If a LB takes even one false step, Howard is gone. I am not going to repeat all the positives on Howard, but it is quite possible he is the best TE prospect to enter the league since Gronk and he has gone to team with a coach who is very, very good at using the TE. It would not surprise me if Howard is in discussion for the TE1 3-5 years from now.
Well said :clap:
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

I'm kind of surprised at the hate for OJ Howard in this thread...here are my counter-arguments to a few common statements that I've been seeing in this thread and online in general:

1. "Howard is a better NFL TE than fantasy TE because he will be on the field to block more."
Of course there are TEs who are more pure receivers than blockers who do well in fantasy like a Jimmy Graham or Jordan Reed. However, some of the elite fantasy TEs are also great blockers, a couple of examples being Rob Gronkowski and Greg Olsen. Being on the field more will only increase Howard's target opportunities, especially for bigger play action receptions if the defense is expecting the TE to be run-blocking on a play.

2. "There are too many other mouths to feed in TB."
This is the perfect example of a statement that can be an argument for both sides depending on how you want to interpret it. The flip side of the coin is, an opposing defense has to focus on Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson on the outside, leaving Howard mismatched on a LB or slot CB up the seam and over the middle of the field. Similarly, Howard won't see as many double teams in the red zone with Evans there and if they establish a strong running game.

3. "Howard is going to split time with Cameron Brate."
Absolutely. Howard has a lot to learn transitioning from college to the NFL, as any player or rookie TE would. Brate is a reliable TE, but he won't be the starter for long if Howard develops well. Howard is a far more athletic target for Jameis Winston (who loves to target the TE by the way) and will start as soon as he demonstrates knowledge of the plays and rapport with Winston. Also, Brate's current contract ends at the end of 2017. No one is projecting Howard to put up elite TE1 production in his rookie year.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FFFAN
Starter
Starter

Postby FFFAN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm

6 weeks in Howard looks like the blocking back and Brate looks like the better pass catcher. Howard = Jermaine Gresham. Sell him while you still can.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 pm

FFFAN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm 6 weeks in Howard looks like the blocking back and Brate looks like the better pass catcher. Howard = Jermaine Gresham. Sell him while you still can.
That'd be a panic move. Tight ends generally take time to develop.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

FFFAN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm 6 weeks in Howard looks like the blocking back and Brate looks like the better pass catcher. Howard = Jermaine Gresham. Sell him while you still can.
Wish you were the Howard owner in my league lol.

FFFAN
Starter
Starter

Postby FFFAN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Bot101 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm
Howard 5 for 107 and a score. Let's throw out the uncovered 58 hard touchdown he scored because that's not something you get every year. 4 catches 49 years on 11 targets. He doesn't gain separation with his routes, he doesn't find the soft spot in defenses. Brate who's only 26 and has shown chemistry with every qb Tampa throws in has caught 21 of 30 targets and excels in the red zone.

He's not a great pass catching te. He's a solid football player but he's no te1.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

FFFAN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm
Bot101 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm
Howard 5 for 107 and a score. Let's throw out the uncovered 58 hard touchdown he scored because that's not something you get every year. 4 catches 49 years on 11 targets. He doesn't gain separation with his routes, he doesn't find the soft spot in defenses. Brate who's only 26 and has shown chemistry with every qb Tampa throws in has caught 21 of 30 targets and excels in the red zone.

He's not a great pass catching te. He's a solid football player but he's no te1.

Wish you were the Howard owner in my league...

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 am

Jake Butt has begun practicing... hope he can come back well from his surgery and have a great career.

He may not be the most athletic, but once he gets fit I feel like he could be in the mix with the all the guys being discussed on this thread as top TE from this draft class
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 am

btv802 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:58 am
Tsunami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 amPeople keep comparing Engram to Jordan Reed. Engram's measurables are closer to Julio Jones than Jordan Reed. Howard himself is bigger, faster, and more agile than Mike Evans, but Engram is a freak. TEs usually have a rough transition to the NFL but no one should be surprised if these two light up the league.
The Reed comp is about his size and projected role in an NFL offense (i.e. not playing in-line or being required to block), NOTHING to do with comparing his athleticism. It's been quite rare that an NFL offense will feature a player like that. If they aren't a featured part of the offense they aren't going to be fantasy relevant because they will only be playing on passing downs.

My point is that, maybe I'm just slow to the party...but I'm still nervous about investing highly in that type of player. I still prefer to target a more traditional in-line blocking tight end that has the best chance to play every down and ALSO has the athletic upside like Howard & Njoku.
Ummmmm....looks like I was wrong about Engram, but I do still like Njoku a lot.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS