Your luckiest Dynasty move ever

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Your luckiest Dynasty move ever

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 pm

So we have a "best dynasty move" and "worst dynasty move" thread. I say Hell, work is slow. It's late June. We still have weeks until TC. Let's share the luckiest move we ever made in dynasty.

What is that one move you made that turned out amazingly, through absolutely no real knowledge or effort from you? You deserve no credit, you just road the coattails of pure, dumb luck.

For me, it was deciding to trade Calvin Johnson... on January 4th, 2016.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Re: Your luckiest Dynasty move ever

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Probably picking up Dak after week 2 of the preseason last year, had no clue who he was just thought that he seemed pretty good even though it was preseason and Romo was pretty injury prone so why not? Then Romo got hurt the next week and the rest is history
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Paul Crewe
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Paul Crewe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Trade earlier this offseason. I went back and forth for weeks in attempts to acquire TY Hilton and Gurley. I offered several packages that he wasn't interested in and started to wonder whether a deal involving both would be possible. Then one morning I woke up to this counter...

Hilton/Gurley for Diggs/Tate/Forte/Powell

It was far worse than several I had previously offered him, but that's what he wanted. Outside of patience and persistence in keeping the conversation going, it was just pure dumb luck. All I had to do is click accept.
10-team PPR Superflex; 30-man roster + 2 IR
QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R/T Q/W/R/T K DEF

Mean Machine
QB: D.Prescott, M.Ryan -or- D.Brees, J.Brissett
WR: M.Thomas, J.Jones, O.Beckham -or- J.Landry, D.Johnson, B.Perriman, T.Smith, A.Tate, S.Sims Jr., A.Isabella, J.Arcega-Whiteside
RB: S.Barkley, Dv.Johnson -or- Dm.Williams, A.Mattison, B.Scott, J.Richard, D.Washington, P.Barber, T.Homer
TE: T.Kelce, C.Herndon IV, D.Walker, D.Knox
K: <stream>
DEF: San Francisco, Pittsburgh

2012: 2nd, 2013: 3rd, 2014: 2nd, 2015: 3rd
2016: 5th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 2nd, 2019: 1st

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 am

No one making me an offer when I'm put OBJ on the block when he didn't play at the beginning of 2014. I had a good start and was prepping for a tilt at the title so would've sold for current year production .... Fortunately no offers came and OBJ then won me the league!
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 am

I'd think most Antonio brown owners can chime in here

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 am

sloth8u wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 am I'd think most Antonio brown owners can chime in here
Yep. He caught my attention when he had a few catches + punt return yards early in 2011. I took a stab & nabbed him in free agency.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:39 am

Now this didn't help very long term as I parted with him about a season and a half later but picking up post prison Michael Vick in 2010 is easily my luckiest break ever. I rolled into that year with Big Ben suspended first four games and was gonna give Kevin Kolb a try to start the season. I happen to be watching the GB v Phi game week 1 when Kolb gets injured early in the game if I remember correctly. Vick came in and looked pretty darn good so I said screw it and picked him up. Of course he played out of his mind all season and was damn near solely responsible for my championship that season for an otherwise below average roster. If I hadn't had Kolb rostered then injured I'm guessing I would have not even considered going after Vick.

So despite me being a dog lover, Ron Mexico will always hold a special place in that fantasy football portion of my heart.

mratlanta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mratlanta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 am

I would say it was my first dynasty league, first dynasty season, in 2006. I took over a pretty bad team and after the draft I still had a lot of terrible players to drop and replace. I read a blurb somewhere about some undrafted rookie named Colston doing good things in New Orleans OTAs. I had no idea who he was but decided to take a chance.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Mahomes, Cam, Tannehill
RB: LeVeon, Jordan Howard, Latavius, Bryce Love, Ty Johnson
WR: OBJ, Antonio Brown, Corey Davis, Robby Anderson, Anthony Miller, Arcega-Whiteside,
Diontae Johnson, Hakeem Butler, DJ Chark, Darius Slayton
TE: OJ Howard, Evan Engram, Gerald Everett
K: Zuerlein
DEF: KC

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:26 am

My college roommates and I started playing Dynasty FF back in 2014 and none of us had really done our homework on when to select rookies in a startup draft. I ended up getting Allen Robinson in the 21st round and I wasn't really sure who I was investing in. Looking back at the draft is hilarious now, we drafted more like a redraft than dynasty since that was what we were all used to at the time.

Other notable rookie draft selections from our inaugural season include:
Sammy Watkins in the 5th
Kelvin Benjamin in the 6th
Brandin Cooks in the 6th
Mike Evans in the 7th
Odell Beckham in the 13th
Devante Adams in the 16th
Jordan Matthews in the 19th
Moncrief/ARob in the 21st
Jarvis Landry in the 23rd

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 am

Grabbing Gronk and Cruz off of waivers in a 3 week span.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 am

Some of my luckiest moves come in the form of what is NOT accepted in trade offers... back before they hit it big coming off some late season performances that were decent I offered:

Matt Ryan, Arian Foster, and Mike Wallace for Randy Moss.... I was making a push to ensure a championship in a shallow roster league... But the offer was declined.

Randy Moss followed it up with a horrible season and then retired..... The three I offered went on to dominate. the next season. I went on to finish 1st or 2nd for 4 straight years.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:27 am

Luckiest -- traded Karlos Williams straight up for Allen Robinson when Williams was on a TD streak and Robinson was playing poorly. In hindsight it seems obviously one sided, but at the time I was going back and forth about it.

Unluckiest-- traded for David Wilson right before he retired. Gave up a 1st and 2nd in the belief that he would be cleared soon.

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:22 am

Having an owner insist on giving me Demarco Murray instead of Delone Carter in a deal during their rookie year.

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:42 am

In fact my most lucky moove was to trade lynch during the 2014 season cause i had the feelings it was time to sell him for a late first and a mid third round pick (yeah i should have sell him more but ok). The next year with the 1.10 pick i choose a rb named david johnson. I was hot on him but i never think he would be as good and finally my trade was save :lol:
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 am

Drafting Dak in the 4th round of my 2QB rookie draft.