Superflex Start-Up Strategy?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Superflex Start-Up Strategy?

Postby Storm_Fox » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm a fantasy football veteran but I'll be participating in my first dynasty start-up soon and I was wondering how I should approach it. The thing I'm having the toughest time figuring out is how to value QBs in a 10 team superflex.

Our scoring is the following:

.5 PPR
6 pt passing TDs
2 pt bonus for 300 passing yards / 4 pt bonus for 400 passing yards (do not stack)
3 pt bonus for 100 rushing yards / 6 pt bonus for 200 rushing yards (do not stack)
3 pt bonus for 100 receiving yards / 6 pt bonus for 200 receiving yards (do not stack)

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, Flex, Superflex, K

With only 10 teams it sort of seems like maybe I shouldn't put quite as much emphasis on the QB position as the 12 and 14 team superflex start ups I see, but at the same time I can't help but want a guy like Winston or Mariota right away who could be an elite option for years to come. The 6 pt passing TDs and relatively attainable yardage bonuses probably make them even more valuable.

I'm picking 9th in the draft and in my head right now I'm thinking I take Mariota/Winston (assuming Luck and Rodgers are gone) in the first and then at 12 assess how I think QBs will be approached in the 2nd/3rd and either take another one there or get whatever stud RB/WR is still on the board. I was also thinking I probably want 3 QBs in the first 4-5 rounds as even in a 10 team league good starting QBs will still be at a premium and the advantage of having 2 great starters every single week as well as being able play matchups is worth a slight downgrade at RB/WR (whatever you're theoretically pushing back a round to get that 3rd QB). Does that make sense? Or am I approaching this the wrong way? I'm honestly just afraid of passing on a franchise QB early only to see 10+ go off the board before my 3rd round pick and I'm left without a true stud at the position that I can count on for years to come.

Based on some other start-ups I've seen my ideal team might look something like...

1.09 - Marcus Mariota
2.02 - Todd Gurley
3.09 - Matthew Stafford
4.02 - Jarvis Landry
5.09 - Ben Roethlisberger

Would something similar to that be a good foundation, or am I just overvaluing QBs too far?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Superflex Start-Up Strategy?

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm

That's a fatal mistake for the league to institute these rules if it's a superflex:

.5PPR
6 points per passing TD

The idea of a superflex league is that if you need to flex a RB/WR/TE and you have some good ones, you can get by.

But with .5ppr, you take a lot of food off the plates of the RB/WR/TE position. And 6 points per passing TD puts more food on the plate of the QBs.

I wouldn't do a superflex unless it's at least full PPR. But since you are.....

Get your QBs and your workhorse RBs. But I would let Gurley fall way past 2.2 personally. He went in round 3 of a 14 team superflex.

Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Storm_Fox » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm That's a fatal mistake for the league to institute these rules if it's a superflex:

.5PPR
6 points per passing TD

The idea of a superflex league is that if you need to flex a RB/WR/TE and you have some good ones, you can get by.

But with .5ppr, you take a lot of food off the plates of the RB/WR/TE position. And 6 points per passing TD puts more food on the plate of the QBs.

Get your QBs and your workhorse RBs. But I would let Gurley fall way past 2.2 personally. He went in round 3 of a 14 team superflex.
Yeah I hear you. We've always done .5 PPR in our leagues because we think it's the best balance for RBs and WRs but you're right that giving QBs 6 pt TDs as well does make it in lean in their favor quite a lot. Honestly I think we sort of like that, as we've all only done 1 QB re-draft leagues where the position is so unimportant that it might be nice to have a league where your QB really matters. We want it to very much in essence be a 2 QB league, but one where if unfortunate injuries or poor bye week timing occurs that you aren't completely screwed if you can't start two.

So it sounds like if we stick with those settings an approach like I laid out would make sense? And I'm very mixed on Gurley. I've been one of his bigger critics suggesting that he just might not be all that good and that much of last year was on him and not the line, but I'm still so enticed by a 22 year old elite prospect whose already had a season over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs on a team that just got rid of its horrible, no good, very bad joke of a coach.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm

If it was me and I wanted Gurley, I would assume that the QB grabs would push Gurley to the late 2nd to mid 3rd round.

If your intent is Gurley in the 2nd, I would trade back. Someone will want to move up for a QB. I would try to get a 2018 1st. Or do a swap in rounds 2&3.

Mariota 1.9
Gurley 2.9
QB 3.2.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

With rushing TDs and passing TDs both worth the same, I would rather take Winston or Carr instead of Mariota. I would look to grab the two best QBs with your first two picks and then go BPA after that at other positions. I would grab a solid 3rd QB at some point too. You don't want to have to worry about the QB position in a superflex. It's the hardest position to fill if you don't have quality starters. You'll spend a lot of draft picks on QBs in later years.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:03 am

10 teamer, as mentioned, should take a lot of the importance back off of the QB position. Even once everybody grabs two, there will still be a dozen NFL starters left. That said, I'd just remain flexible going into the draft and take advantage of what everyone else is doing.

For instance, two leagues I'm in that are 32 team (double copy) superflex and have many of the same owners. The one started up last summer while the other this summer. In that startup, QBs were undervalued and studs dropped. This year, by the end of the second, nearly every QB was gone by the third. In the latter, I decided to target guys like Bradford and Flacco and pick up value earlier on elsewhere. (I actually ended up with both those QBs). The former league I had Rodgers/Brees and won the championship, so it'll be interesting to see how my Bradford/Flacco tandem plays out.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 am

Are trades allowed during the draft? If so, start packaging up picks to get as many selections as possible in the top 5 rounds. Depth doesn't matter as much in 10 team leagues--it's all about the top-end talent.

I agree with others that top-tier QBs are far more valuable in this set-up, but since you don't pick until 9th, you can see how the draft is going and react accordingly.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Storm_Fox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:53 am

Ruggenater wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 am Are trades allowed during the draft? If so, start packaging up picks to get as many selections as possible in the top 5 rounds. Depth doesn't matter as much in 10 team leagues--it's all about the top-end talent.

I agree with others that top-tier QBs are far more valuable in this set-up, but since you don't pick until 9th, you can see how the draft is going and react accordingly.
I'm honestly not sure if we're going to allow draft day trades or how we'll handle that. We're doing a live draft, but I'm not sure if we're using a physical board like we do for our re-draft leagues or if we're just going to use an excel sheet/google doc. Trades would be easy enough if we're using a sheet, but we may not bother "messing up" our physical draft board. It's always cool to be able to look back at that years later and a bunch of selections under your team that are really other team's picks might lessen that a little.

I do agree though that top tier talent is way more valuable in a 10 team league. Need difference makers when everyone has good teams.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 am

here is a link to a similar draft or 6. its 4 per passing td.....but its 6 drafts. just click on start up drafts on the menu and you will find what your looking for. the settings are the same other than the 4 vs 6 on qb tds...........hope this helps.
https://www72.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/61479#0

as to your thought process...it really depends how the draft goes. you never know in a superflex/2qb league. if a stud wr or rb is there in rd 1, you should take him. you bounce right back with that opportunity to grab that qb in rd 2. dont forget that the more qb's are ignored, only means value later on.!!! i know your fear is that they wont be ignored.....but even then...your gaining value on positional players. you pick on the turn (for the most part) if things were to get direr...you could always grab 2 like eli, flacco, and palmer in rounds 5-7 if you "felt the pressure."

only you know how you value the qb position. if you need studs....your best bet is to get them in the draft. they wont come cheaper in most instances. id keep that in mind as you approach your draft. you can get qb's...but if you want the high end guys...your best bet is to get them early.

youve mentioned that youve been playing fantasy for years...but this is your 1st dynasty league....i would not be afraid to trade your on the clock pick back about 8 spots in return for a future 1st if i were in your shoes. if you were to do this with your 1st- 3 rds...you would end up with 17,21, 37, 3 future 1sts... i think in the grand scheme of things, this may treat you well, with the values that you may have. keeping in mind that guys will be worth those future's 12 months from now. your likely to get your qb's with those first 2 picks or stud players.....and then you have the futures.

Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Storm_Fox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 am

Kramer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm With rushing TDs and passing TDs both worth the same, I would rather take Winston or Carr instead of Mariota. I would look to grab the two best QBs with your first two picks and then go BPA after that at other positions. I would grab a solid 3rd QB at some point too. You don't want to have to worry about the QB position in a superflex. It's the hardest position to fill if you don't have quality starters. You'll spend a lot of draft picks on QBs in later years.
Yep that's what I'm most afraid of, leaving the draft with average QBs with little chance for improvement at the position in the near future. I like to think I'm savvy enough to find some breakout RBs or WRs late, but I don't think anyone can really predict the Dak Prescott's of the world too well. I'll probably grab a couple guys like Josh Dobbs, Davis Webb, or CJ Beathard at the end just to see what happens but the chances of any becoming an above average starter are quite slim.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 am

you are wrong here...lots of owners predicted the prescott's, wilson's, carr's,...we just took them at the right price.

in your format....you want to be able to start rb's and qb's....you need to focus on that. if your worried about qb...and dont believe there will be trading, i would focus my attention to the qb's in rd 5 or so. the value will be there to take postitional players with your first 4 rds. (assuming that others are grabbing qb's) perhaps my strategy would be rb, wr, rb,wr, qb, ....then weigh the options. you start 3 wr's, maybe you load up on them if there is no trading during your draft. perhaps rb's (i would lean). you should not base your draft and values on how your leaguemates draft. if the first 8 guys take qb....that does not mean that i would take qb...if that makes sense. maybe you want to go 4 rb's and then 2 qb's....while filling the hole at wr with some vets.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 am

If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Storm_Fox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am

Storm_Fox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Storm_Fox » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:40 pm

After looking at some other superflex start ups and giving it some more thought I've been thinking about trying to put together a team like this... Obviously it would never work out exactly like this, and I was fairly cautious with some of these by picking someone I know will be available rather than a better player that could fall. So this is almost a worst case scenario mock.

9 Russell Wilson
12 Cam Newton
29 Joe Mixon
32 Jordan Howard
49 Stefon Diggs
52 Ben Roethlisberger
69 Willie Snead
72 Golden Tate
89 Sam Bradford
92 Zach Ertz
109 Martellus Bennett
112 Emmanuel Sanders
129 Theo Riddick
132 Jeremy Maclin
149 Marvin Jones
152 LeGarrette Blount
169 Aaron Jones

Through the first 17 rounds that would give me..

QB - Wilson, Newton, Roethlisberger, Bradford

RB - Howard, Mixon, Riddick, Blount, A. Jones

WR - Diggs, Snead, Tate, Sanders, Maclin, M. Jones

TE - Ertz, Bennett

I feel like I want to lean QB/RB early since I think those older WRs like Tate, Sanders, and Maclin are really underrated and will be more than serviceable but QB and RB will likely dry up very quickly. Am I lacking true star power in a 10 team league with this roster or will Howard, Mixon, and my QBs be enough to carry me?

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 am

Every Superflex league is different and there doesn't seem to be much consensus between them as to where QBs should go. One league they go in the first round and another they hang around late. Personally I think there are about 18 tier-2 QBs that would be good enough to win a league, so I would wait until 15 of those are gone and take the last 3. If the top QBs go first round then snatch up a lot of young stashes cheap (Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes, Goff, Bridgewater) because it means their value is likely to go up significantly. But in a 10 team league if you have a small bench these guys might not even get drafted. Just remember there are more QBs than stud WRs/RBs/Gronk.