Best Dynasty Decision You've Ever Made?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Best Dynasty Decision You've Ever Made?

Postby IR1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 am

maxhyde wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:25 am Just playing dynasty and scrapping keeper leagues
X2, dropped my last keeper this off season
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 am

2014, the first year my group started dynasty and I foolishly sold Calvin Johnson in a deal for CPatt and picks.

Good news, a year later, Calvin retires and I could rest easy knowing he wouldn't haunt my team for years to come.

Bad news, as a fan, I enjoyed watching him play the game.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am

2008 dynasty in sig I took Chris Johnson that year in the inaugural draft as I was a huge fan and rode him off into the sunset until recently. The following year, I traded Marion Barber who I rode to a championship in 2008, for pick 1.06 where I took Shady McCoy and have had him ever since. I had a pretty incredible run in 2013 where Romo, Demarco Murray, Lesean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Josh Gordon, Dez Bryant, and Jimmy Graham all had career years to some extent. Went undefeated that year and won the ship. Haven't had as much luck lately with 1st rounders as some of those guys but McCoy has been a main stay for keeping me competitive.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am

Best decision(s) i made was years ago when i took any emotion out of it, besides going with my gut, over all other decisions. Always trusting myself over anything or anybody else. Live and die with my decision and rankings, strategy, etc. Too many instances to pinpoint one.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 am

For me, it was the team in my Sig which I completely gutted in 2014 down to DeAndre Hopkins, Lamar Miller, a couple other pieces and 7 rookie 1sts, 7 rookie 2nds, and a bunch of 2015 1sts. Drafted Sammy, Evans, Hyde, Ebron, A-Rob, J-Matt, among others in the 1st, more importantly avoided Bishop Sankey! OBJ at 2.2, and Adams later in the 2nd.

Won the 'ship in 14 year one of a complete and total rebuild, then traded Hyde and 2 '15 1sts to get my man Julio.

Second best decision I ever made was cutting back my trading activity a lot, becoming a "boutique" trader, and relying on my strength which is player evaluation and translation from college to the NFL. The game is oodles less stressful and more fun for me now not having to constantly evaluate crappy trade offers.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am

I think grabbing Tom Brady in the 9th a couple years back was awesome because later I was able to turn him in return for better players that I eventually got Cooks and A Rodgers for. That and grabbing A Rob off of waivers.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon
WR- Evans, Hilton, ARob, Cooper, Watkins, Shepard, C Davis, Gordon, Doctson
TE-Olsen, Kittle
PK- Whatever
DE- Okafor, Hunter
LB- Buccanon, Mack
S- Baker, Mathieu

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Best (and biggest no brainer) decision was picking up OBJ off waivers 3rd week of his rookie season in my RB-centric PPR league. The owner got impatient and lost faith with all the OBJ hammy injuries. Pretty sure I'll never top that one. The proverbial gold that dynasty gold rusher's chase aye!

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Kramer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:17 am This thread feels like all the guys on the opposite end of the misfortune posted about in the 'Biggest Regrets' thread.
:lol:
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm

I thought of another one that was more of a great decision than a lucky decision (like my first post in this thread).

In the older league in my sig, I traded Cedric Benson, Chris Chambers, and Adrian Peterson (the other one) for Roddy White, Michael Turner, and Brian Leonard after week 5 of 2007 season.

It is a bit of a random example, but to give some background: 2007 was Benson's first year starting after the Bears traded Thomas Jones. Chambers had an amazing 2005 and an injury-riddled 2006 and was considered a WR1/WR2 at the time. Roddy White was in his 3rd year and had a nice start to the season after not doing much his first 2 years. Turner was a backup in SD on the last year of his contract. Steven Jackson (who I had) had just gotten hurt, and Leonard was the starter for the next few weeks.

I was really excited about Benson going into the season but was unimpressed the first few weeks. I was also getting worried about Chambers. As a Dolphins fan, I saw a what a s***show the 2007 season was shaping up to be early. At the time of the trade, it looked like I took a big loss in value at both positions, and when I made the trade, every single league mate was pissed at me for making the other team so strong. But I saw it as Leonard giving me a better RB short-term than Benson while I was missing SJax, Turner probably giving me a better RB long-term than Benson, and I thought Roddy really looked like a light flipped on, and I liked him more than Chambers going forward.

After that, Benson fell flat on his face, Chambers was traded a week later to the Chargers for 2nd and did very little the rest of the year, While Roddy White had his first of 6 straight WR1 seasons that year, and Turner went to Atlanta and ran all over the league the following year. My buddy in the league still brings it up as an example of how I TR'd him way back when :lol:

This is not meant to be a brag post. I have been wrong a ton before and since then. But this was the best example I could think of where I made a decision based on my own evaluation that was way against the grain, and I ended up being right in a big way. I have had other moves that were a bigger windfall (like trading for OBJ before he got healthy), but the way those turned out were more luck than me being right. It was way better to put my money where my mouth was and end up proving everybody wrong who told me what a terrible trade it was at the time.

TL/DR: I think my best decision was the one where I followed my own evaluation against the grain, and was right.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 am

Coming to this site & listening to podcasts. How I evaluate players, roster construction & trades has been influenced by all parties.

Through the years... I couldn't understand how ppl evaluated players & why I always see senseless trades or odd start-up draft picks. Then I hear a few beginners on here & it starts to fill the gaps. & in a weird way I appreciated their logic. It also helped me become a better trader. I feel like I can use group think to get my percieved value & obtain the team I want... VS these guys fell to me & no one trades.

But also reading owners posts here talk about sleepers & prospects helped me evaluate situation vs talent greatly. I picked up Meredith, h.Henry, T.Williams, Perkins last season. My depth & roster got tons of value. In the past or re-draft leagues I rarely focused on the wire & did well. I appreciate free assets & being active should put me over the top!

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 am

My best decision was downloading soundcloud and listening to a wide variety of fantasy football podcasts. Makes my drives so much easier and I don't have to listen to commercials now.

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 am

Best decision I made was when I decided to stop falling for the trap of over valuing rookies. I sell high and then try to buy low when they don't meet the absurd expectations of their owners.
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

Paul Crewe
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Paul Crewe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Drafting Antonio Brown in Round 5 of our startup draft in 2012.

Drafting Jarvis Landry in Round 5 of his rookie draft.

Drafting David Johnson with the 2.9 pick (20th overall) in his rookie draft. I didn't even have a 1st that year.
10-team PPR Superflex; 30-man roster + 2 IR
QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R/T Q/W/R/T K DEF

Mean Machine
QB: D.Prescott, M.Ryan -or- D.Brees, J.Brissett
WR: M.Thomas, J.Jones, O.Beckham -or- J.Landry, D.Johnson, B.Perriman, T.Smith, A.Tate, S.Sims Jr., A.Isabella, J.Arcega-Whiteside
RB: S.Barkley, Dv.Johnson -or- Dm.Williams, A.Mattison, B.Scott, J.Richard, D.Washington, P.Barber, T.Homer
TE: T.Kelce, C.Herndon IV, D.Walker, D.Knox
K: <stream>
DEF: San Francisco, Pittsburgh

2012: 2nd, 2013: 3rd, 2014: 2nd, 2015: 3rd
2016: 5th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 2nd, 2019: 1st

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 pm

traded Ellington, Keenan Allen, Josh Gordon and a second for Julio and something, a season or two before his 1800 yard season
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Granted I'm only one year in with my team- I'd have to say taking Crowell in the last round of our Rookie draft last year has to be the best. Considering he might be might best player this year.....

Keebs
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister