Taxi Squad when in Rebuild?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Taxi Squad when in Rebuild?

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am

So when your team sucks, do you keep certain positions on/off your taxi for a few years?

Or anything you do differently taxi squad-wise in a rebuild?

For example, I'm thinking of leaving Prescott on my taxi all year because my RBs are so bad I have very little chance to compete. He's just as good a start as my other guys in a lost year.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Taxi Squad when in Rebuild?

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 am

Sure, if the rules permit. In my home league in sig, we get 3 practice squad roster spots, and those rookies can stay there for up to 3 years. Rebuilding teams take advantage of that, and I see no issue with it.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 am

I agree, if your team isn't competing and the rules allow it, leave them on the TS. That way you don't waste their points and you get a higher draft pick.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Does anyone prioritize leaving certain positions on their taxi?

For example, since TEs usually take forever to develop, do you tend to leave them on the taxi for a few years?

And yet I was thinking of just activating Njoku alongside Kelce so I could ignore TE for a while.

But is it there any advantage in stacking your taxi with RBs or WRs only?
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 pm Does anyone prioritize leaving certain positions on their taxi?

For example, since TEs usually take forever to develop, do you tend to leave them on the taxi for a few years?

And yet I was thinking of just activating Njoku alongside Kelce so I could ignore TE for a while.

But is it there any advantage in stacking your taxi with RBs or WRs only?
I look at two things when determining who to place on a taxi squad:

#1 - Can TS guys be promoted in season?

If so, then it's really just an extra roster spot. In this case I would consider rostering a rookie RB or WR, knowing that I can promote them if they start performing. You also don't want to go too far out on a limb here because this really is a spot that you can use.

If you cannot promote them in season, then the TS is truly a place to stash and forget. And I would look at RBs or WRs that will miss the year due to injury or really need development -- Smelter and Lattimore come to mind here as options. But avoid a guy that could perform -- I put Josh Gordon on a non-promotable TS his rookie year and still regret it. I would also look at QBs that you think may start in a year or two (subject to point #2 below). Guys like Hundley and Kelly this year are favorites for this type of spot.

#2 - How long can you leave them there?

If you can promote in season, then point #2 becomes much less relevant because you are looking at guys that you could conceivably start this year.

Assuming that you cannot promote in season and if you can only TS for one year, then I think that you're really looking solely at RBs and WRs, preferably those that you know will be out for the year or who will take time to develop. Kevin White from two years ago would have been a great choice.

Assuming that you cannot promote in season and that you can keep them on TS for several years, I really really really like to use my TS spots for QBs. You could go other spots here but it seems like you're wasting the spot unless you go with the developmental QB.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

DDT wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm #1 - Can TS guys be promoted in season?

If so, then it's really just an extra roster spot. In this case I would consider rostering a rookie RB or WR, knowing that I can promote them if they start performing. You also don't want to go too far out on a limb here because this really is a spot that you can use.

If you cannot promote them in season, then the TS is truly a place to stash and forget. And I would look at RBs or WRs that will miss the year due to injury or really need development -- Smelter and Lattimore come to mind here as options. But avoid a guy that could perform -- I put Josh Gordon on a non-promotable TS his rookie year and still regret it. I would also look at QBs that you think may start in a year or two (subject to point #2 below). Guys like Hundley and Kelly this year are favorites for this type of spot.
I didn't realize there were leagues where you can't promote from the TS during the season - doesn't seem much fun not having that option.

So yeah, I can promote at any time during the year (once promoted can never go back to the TS). We can leave them on there forever though, no limit there - you just eventually run out of space as the years and rookie drafts go by.

Your Gordon example is a good one. So basically, if you suspect they might perform during the year, then be ready to move them from the TS or just make them active before the season starts and keep "rawer/definitely won't start or play much this year" rookies on the TS.

TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm

I'd leave your best projected rookies there if your allowed. I will be taxi'ing lenny and davis in a league. (Major rebuild)

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I didn't realize there were leagues where you can't promote from the TS during the season - doesn't seem much fun not having that option.

So yeah, I can promote at any time during the year (once promoted can never go back to the TS). We can leave them on there forever though, no limit there - you just eventually run out of space as the years and rookie drafts go by.

Your Gordon example is a good one. So basically, if you suspect they might perform during the year, then be ready to move them from the TS or just make them active before the season starts and keep "rawer/definitely won't start or play much this year" rookies on the TS.
I never understood the point of taxi squads with in-season promoting. Why not just have extra roster spots?

We just started a superflex with taxi squad this year, and I feel like QBs are the best candidates for it by far, followed by WRs and then TEs. RBs are no good for it, because you never know when opportunity presents itself due to injury, and it seems common for them to seize that opportunity for just one season. But ours has two features: no in-season promotion, and all players are eligible for it without restriction. I feel like the two rules work well together, since the first one addresses basically every reason someone would not put the sort of guy on it you're intending (i.e. development candidates).

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 am

sloth8u wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm I'd leave your best projected rookies there if your allowed. I will be taxi'ing lenny and davis in a league. (Major rebuild)
This is ideal if your league allows it and you are in a major rebuild. My league doesn't allow you to leave players on the taxi squad if they are blatantly outperforming players that you have in your starting roster. So last year if I tried stashing zeke on my TS but was starting players like TJ Yeldon throughout the season, the commish would make me promote zeke.

I personally like to put the middle of the road players on my taxi squad, even in a rebuild. Players that are dart throws have no worth in the TS and may be cut candidates mid season but that would just burn a TS spot if you put them in the TS. The high end players are more valuable in your weekly lineup but if you're in rebuild, it is a loop hole to put them on the taxi squad but I don't prefer that method.

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 am

jeffster wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 pm
DLF3000 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I never understood the point of taxi squads with in-season promoting. Why not just have extra roster spots?

We just started a superflex with taxi squad this year, and I feel like QBs are the best candidates for it by far, followed by WRs and then TEs. RBs are no good for it, because you never know when opportunity presents itself due to injury, and it seems common for them to seize that opportunity for just one season. But ours has two features: no in-season promotion, and all players are eligible for it without restriction. I feel like the two rules work well together, since the first one addresses basically every reason someone would not put the sort of guy on it you're intending (i.e. development candidates).
I've always agreed with this point -- why have a TS if you can promote in season? But most are against that. In one league that I run we prevented promotions for one season and then the league requested that we permit promotions. Of course, that's after I had Gordon on my TS all year.

As to the primary point of the post, if you are in full rebuild mode, it's a great strategy to leave studs on the TS. But it's not one that I would endorse or necessarily follow. It feels like an abuse of the TS. And I'm reluctant to give up on a season before it starts, even in full rebuild situations -- a lot of things can change once the games start.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am

It seems like most often you would be best off trading your studs for a rebuild, rather than sitting them for a season on a TS. Unless your league won't give you value for them, but even then, even for most studs aging another year lowers their value.

gopackgo
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gopackgo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 am

My 10-team league has a five player practice squad. Players can be promoted at any point during the season, but once a player is promoted, you lose that practice squad spot for the remainder of that season (unless another team put in a claim on that player). We are only allowed to have players that have been in the league 3 years or less on it. We assign a draft pick ranking (1st round to 5th round) on each of the five spots. Teams are allowed to place a claim on another team's practice squad player, with the corresponding draft pick as compensation. Once a claim has been made, the team has 72 hours to add that player to their active roster or work out a trade involving that player, otherwise they would receive a draft pick from the team that made the claim. Once a player has been lost from your practice squad or added due to a claim, you're able to back-fill that spot by adding a player that meets the requirements from the FA pool.

It makes it challenging to keep a stud (such as Zeke mentioned above) on your practice squad as someone could easily place a claim with a simple 1st or 2nd round claim, but this is a great way to generate more trading and activity in your league. By placing a claim on another team's roster, you're making them make the difficult decision on who to cut from their active roster in order to save their younger player. We're three years into this and it's been going great.
10 Team non-SF PPR
QB - FIELDS
RB - BIJAN Javonte DVaughn
RB - GIBBS JCook
RB/WR - JT
WR - LONDON Pittman QJ Elijah Nico Tank RWoods MWilson Palmer DParker McKenzie
WR - JSN Flowers Doubs Reed Gallup VJefferson Thornton TMarshall MHollins JLandry
WR/TE - RIDLEY
TE - McBRIDE Fant Otton Hill Schoonmaker Washington
'24 Picks: 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5
'25 Picks: 1,2,2,3,4,5

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am

DDT wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 am As to the primary point of the post, if you are in full rebuild mode, it's a great strategy to leave studs on the TS. But it's not one that I would endorse or necessarily follow. It feels like an abuse of the TS.

And I'm reluctant to give up on a season before it starts, even in full rebuild situations -- a lot of things can change once the games start.
Yeah, it's all within the rules, just like injury status changes and the IR/Out slots, so I'll likely BB it - like anyone else in my league could.

As for giving up so soon, well, the truth is you can't win - mathematically - without dominant RBs and QBs in our scoring system. They blow away the other positions. So since I'm utter trash at RB, I'm a huge longshot this year. (It's so bad I'll be posting a proposal to change our scoring system in our Rules thread.)

Things would have to go absolutely crazy-perfect for me at RB to even sniff the playoffs. So rather than bank on that 1% - rebuild.

TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am

jeffster wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 pmI never understood the point of taxi squads with in-season promoting. Why not just have extra roster spots?
In my home league, I have taxi squads to promote the relevance of later round rookie picks. It's a shallow 20-man roster league with a 3-round rookie draft. However, only players drafted in the rookie draft can be placed on taxi squads. Rookies added via waivers cannot. This way, even in a shallower league, that 3.12 rookie draft pick has some added value to allow time for development instead of needing to drop a guy that's taking longer to develop into a starting fantasy asset.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Anybody have taxi squads where other teams can sign your TS'd unless you promote them to the active roster?
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine