Sell me on Rob Kelley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Sell me on Rob Kelley

Postby moishetreats » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:25 pm

sloth8u wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 pm
moishetreats wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:12 pm Yeah, I agree with you @Cris. I really don't love my trade, but I did need to make a move (and still need to make another or two) to accommodate my incoming picks. In the end, it's really the picks that I got plus the ability to drop a lesser player for a roster spot than someone that I would rather keep.

Unfortunately, as a fan of Kelley's, I want to root for him. Now, though, I have to root against him... :(
great post!!! this is ultimately what makes dynasty leagues great. most of my leagues have been going for a few years...owners have to cut or trade to accomodate picks... i think you sold for the going rate in most instances.
Thanks, sloth8u. That's been the good "rub" for me: I have been able to unearth free agent talent late in the August drafts and in-season with incredible consistency. It has made the back-end of my roster atypically strong. And, for the time ever -- including the start-up draft!! -- I didn't trade away my first-round pick. I actually have two this year. Put all that together, and my need for open roster spaces is greater than usual.

Not complaining or bragging -- it's the situation this year. As you wrote, it's the greatness of dynasty!! :)
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 am

_yeti wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:58 pm
crisdecamposmd wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm Considering how much the coaching staff raves about Rob Kelley I think getting caught up on the Perine hype train (I do own him as a handcuff) is a mistake, and Kelley can easily become what Lacy was when he was good and on a high scoring offense a few years ago. Which will be worth a top 5 pick next year.
Think this is the first time I have heard Perine described as a handcuff to Kelley. Kelley being worth a top 5 pick next year is the most delusional thing I have ever heard. This is what's wrong with just trying to extrapolate from stats in small samples, reminds me of when I was battling everyone who thought Rawls rookie year 5.6 YPC justified a top 10 ranking and meant he would be a 3-down back in Seattle.
Delusional is a strong word, so remember you used it next time this year. It's not really going to be a very intelligent conversation with you so I'll try not to use too much reasoning. I thought Rawls was way over-hyped. I think Kelley is way under-hyped. Of course, if you go back through time you can find the nay-sayers all the way back to when AB was drafted out of the 6th round and went for a 16/167/0 stat line his first year... not many people were betting on him to break out at that time. There's a long, long, long, long list of guys you would have missed out on that are now top guys if you just looked at what round they were drafted and what they did their rookie years. In fact, you'd probably be one of the worst in your dynasty league because it's rare that any player is great from the start, especially 1st round picks -- and your only chance at success would be through screwing other people in trades. You can't really measure how good a player will be based on draft status, some people just have game, and sometimes that isn't exploited until they get an opportunity. You can nay-say all day, joke will always be on you in this game. :nono:

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:21 pm

crisdecamposmd wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 am
crisdecamposmd wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm Considering how much the coaching staff raves about Rob Kelley I think getting caught up on the Perine hype train (I do own him as a handcuff) is a mistake, and Kelley can easily become what Lacy was when he was good and on a high scoring offense a few years ago. Which will be worth a top 5 pick next year.
Think this is the first time I have heard Perine described as a handcuff to Kelley. Kelley being worth a top 5 pick next year is the most delusional thing I have ever heard. This is what's wrong with just trying to extrapolate from stats in small samples, reminds me of when I was battling everyone who thought Rawls rookie year 5.6 YPC justified a top 10 ranking and meant he would be a 3-down back in Seattle.
Delusional is a strong word, so remember you used it next time this year. It's not really going to be a very intelligent conversation with you so I'll try not to use too much reasoning. I thought Rawls was way over-hyped. I think Kelley is way under-hyped. Of course, if you go back through time you can find the nay-sayers all the way back to when AB was drafted out of the 6th round and went for a 16/167/0 stat line his first year... not many people were betting on him to break out at that time. There's a long, long, long, long list of guys you would have missed out on that are now top guys if you just looked at what round they were drafted and what they did their rookie years. In fact, you'd probably be one of the worst in your dynasty league because it's rare that any player is great from the start, especially 1st round picks -- and your only chance at success would be through screwing other people in trades. You can't really measure how good a player will be based on draft status, some people just have game, and sometimes that isn't exploited until they get an opportunity. You can nay-say all day, joke will always be on you in this game. :nono:
Yeah that's usually the case when someone attacks the person their arguing with and not their argument...wait

I love Kelley, literally done nothing but try to defend him in this thread, and even I think being worth a top 5 pick next year is a pretty lofty expectation, especially when you consider just how much people tend to value first round picks in dynasty (although really they shouldn't but that's another conversation)

I don't mind bumping a thread like this because I like to speculate and argue for a guy that I like, but next time could you maybe do it without shitposting?
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Yeah that's usually the case when someone attacks the person their arguing with and not their argument...wait

I love Kelley, literally done nothing but try to defend him in this thread, and even I think being worth a top 5 pick next year is a pretty lofty expectation, especially when you consider just how much people tend to value first round picks in dynasty (although really they shouldn't but that's another conversation)

I don't mind bumping a thread like this because I like to speculate and argue for a guy that I like, but next time could you maybe do it without shitposting?
If your feelings are hurt... Grab a dictionary and lookup the meaning of the word 'delusional'. You can't very well hope for an intelligent conversation, and the use of reasoning is pointless, with someone who is delusional. In actuality, the sentence that hurts your feelings is just pointing out the practicality of your claim of me being delusional. :snooty: :boohoo:

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm

crisdecamposmd wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 pm

If your feelings are hurt... Grab a dictionary and lookup the meaning of the word 'delusional'. You can't very well hope for an intelligent conversation, and the use of reasoning is pointless, with someone who is delusional. In actuality, the sentence that hurts your feelings is just pointing out the practicality of your claim of me being delusional. :snooty: :boohoo:
Again with the personal attacks for no reason, my feelings aren't hurt, I'd just prefer these threads be about something constructive.

Also, if you'll notice, I never said you were delusional, that was somebody else. All I did was say that Kelley for a top 5 pick was a lofty expectation because dynasty owners tend to overvalue picks (especially closer to their draft) and asked you not clutter threads up with posts that don't help anybody, such as the one I'm replying to.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm

In other constructive news, thought this article about Kelley from last week was pretty interesting and just shows how good he was at making people miss last year
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washingto ... el-elliott

Just don't see any particular area where Perine is clearly a better option than Kelley other than maybe short yardage/GL situations since Perine is about 20 pounds heavier than Kelley now that Rob has slimmed down in the offseason

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm In other constructive news, thought this article about Kelley from last week was pretty interesting and just shows how good he was at making people miss last year

Just don't see any particular area where Perine is clearly a better option than Kelley other than maybe short yardage/GL situations since Perine is about 20 pounds heavier than Kelley now that Rob has slimmed down in the offseason
Yeah I saw that. Interesting stuff, for sure. I still think perine will take the majority of the work eventually, but Kelley will retain some for a while. How long is up to the coaches and how well that line blocks for him, imo. I mostly feel this way because I think perine is underrated, not because I hate Kelley.
ps thanks for trying to keep this thread on a decent track

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm In other constructive news, thought this article about Kelley from last week was pretty interesting and just shows how good he was at making people miss last year

Yeah I saw that. Interesting stuff, for sure. I still think perine will take the majority of the work eventually, but Kelley will retain some for a while. How long is up to the coaches and how well that line blocks for him, imo. I mostly feel this way because I think perine is underrated, not because I hate Kelley.
ps thanks for trying to keep this thread on a decent track
Yeah the Redskins OL was really good last year (ranked 6th highest by Football Outsiders*) and afaik they didn't lose anyone in the offseason (could be wrong) but the main reason I think Kelley will stay the starter for the entire year, barring injury, is mostly because I don't think he'll really do anything to lose the job

In this league the incumbent players are generally given the first crack at the starting job over rookies (unless of course the rookie was a substantial draft pick, which Perine was not) and while Perine is probably better at bulldozing defenders because of the size difference, I think Kelley is shiftier so I think their overall skill levels are about equal and since it's, at least to me, 90% probable that Kelley will be the undisputed starter going into the season because of what he did last year, I just don't see Perine ripping the job away from him

Also, part of the reason Jones lost the job to Kelley last year was due to fumbles, something Kelley is incredibly good at not doing (7 fumbles on 318 career carries at Tulane with 0 his senior year and 0 fumbles last year on 180 total touches)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am

I feel like this will end up a re-run of David Cobb (Perine) being expected to unseat Antonio Andrews (Kelley) and failing while Dexter McCluster (Thompson) ends up the most worthwhile RB on the roster (in PPR).
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:55 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am I feel like this will end up a re-run of David Cobb (Perine) being expected to unseat Antonio Andrews (Kelley) and failing while Dexter McCluster (Thompson) ends up the most worthwhile RB on the roster (in PPR).
Me too. Theres some good information that Kelley owners have posted but just watching him in the second meeting against the Cowboys and watching him in parts of other various games, he looked as average as can be to me, but that could be a case where I just haven't watched him enough. I'm not a believer but I'm paying more attention to him, thanks to this thread.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am I feel like this will end up a re-run of David Cobb (Perine) being expected to unseat Antonio Andrews (Kelley) and failing while Dexter McCluster (Thompson) ends up the most worthwhile RB on the roster (in PPR).
As a Cowboys fan I absolutely love this. I am so far biased against Redskins I refrain from commenting on them too much. They are a giant shite show that keeps on giving, and I rarely roster them in any sort of league. Their owner is a travesty, their mascot is the most blatantly racist thing in sports, and all in all I love to see them fail. Buy Keith Marshall.

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm
crisdecamposmd wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Again with the personal attacks for no reason, my feelings aren't hurt, I'd just prefer these threads be about something constructive.

Also, if you'll notice, I never said you were delusional, that was somebody else. All I did was say that Kelley for a top 5 pick was a lofty expectation because dynasty owners tend to overvalue picks (especially closer to their draft) and asked you not clutter threads up with posts that don't help anybody, such as the one I'm replying to.
So you just like... Read through these things and act as a patrol man?? :dance: :clap: :thumbdown:

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 am

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:55 pm
Me too. Theres some good information that Kelley owners have posted but just watching him in the second meeting against the Cowboys and watching him in parts of other various games, he looked as average as can be to me, but that could be a case where I just haven't watched him enough. I'm not a believer but I'm paying more attention to him, thanks to this thread.
This isn't a common thought or feeling but it is certainly a strong possiblity and considering WAS offense strength is the pass game it could be reality.
I do think Perine fits the mold of what the Redskins would like from their running game smashing into people for 2+ quarters wearing the Dline/LB down hindering the pass rush. Be an interesting battle in WAS to see who the RB is but I am not sure there is a ton of 'value' in that backfield so spending premium assets for any would be against my better judgement
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Wow, so I responded to this a LONG time ago and for quite some time it was the last post in the thread. And now it is just... gone.

Did the admin delete the post? It wasn't even harsh.

But ok, small part of the response. Top 5 pick IS delusional. In no universe is that happening. Even if he did better than last year, no one is parting with a top 5 for him. But he won't do better than last year. You will be lucky if he is worth a 2nd or 3rd next year, I would doubt it.

The part about late rounders and AB, and somehow trying to equate that to a JAG rb who made the most of a WIDE-OPEN situation just shows a lack of ability to predict these late rounders you are talking about. Especially when you are leaning on production after the fact to do so. If you were making these arguments last year I would give you much more credit. Right now you just sound all-in on a mediocre player and it wont look good next year and it will look even worse in two.

P.S. to your long simple explanation of how late rounders find success in the NFL, thank you, I truly never understood that or even thought of that. I literally thought every good player in the NFL was picked first overall.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant