Jordan Matthews

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Jordan Matthews

Postby Valhalla » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Any inclination on what is going on with his knee? He was hit in the knee last offseason (helmet to knee) and missed all of preseason if I remember right with what was thought to be a bone bruise. He didn't step onto the field until week 1, and was hobbled at times (maybe more often than we realize) during the season by that knee.
He's been shut down this entire offseason so far with what they are saying is tendinitis, but weeks ago they said it was "day to day." Matthews himself says he won't talk about the knee injury until it's 100%. Why be closed-mouth about it?
Does this have something to do with the trade rumors? Was he perhaps in trade discussions with someone like Baltimore and the Maclin and Decker releases have thrown a wrench into the Eagles' plans?
Matthews is one of five players in NFL history with 65-plus receptions and 800-plus yards his first three years in the league. The others are Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss. That's a bit of a cherry picked cutoff of which stats to use and where to cut them off, but it's still very impressive company. I have a hard time writing this guy off, and think if he ended up with a stud QB he just might suddenly be very valuable in a lineup.

Thoughts on this guy's future? Thoughts on the knee?

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jordan Matthews

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 am

Not sure what to make of the knee injury - anything more would just be pure speculation.

I don't think he'll get traded - I think it would have happened by now. Philadelphia seems committed to surrounding Wentz with as much talent around him (Blount / Jeffery / Smith acquisitions), so I don't think they'd trade away one of his starting WR's this late into the off-season.

As for Matthews - I used to be an owner, but am glad to have gotten rid of him. I watched him closely over the last few years, and he just doesn't look like a major talent. Sure, he's big and somewhat fast, but he seems to really struggle with short-area cuts and lacks burst in and out of sudden breaks. Maybe he's just a workout warrior but that "elite" athleticism doesn't translate to the field in football pads. His hands are also a major question mark, despite being an area of improvement during his first 3 seasons.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Pancakes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pancakes » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I think Wentz is a bust waiting to happen personally IMO and as a Jordan Matthews fan, having drafted him at 1.6 what seems like many years ago, I do not like his future overall if he remains with the eagles long-term and i do think he's the committed type of a player that wants to stay with his franchise. That being said, i think people will end up surprised how much money the Eagles will actually pay him when the contract comes. He's been the one consistency in this offense amid all the wild bleep that's happened over the years.

People will name drop Jeffery and Torrey and make very bland statements like "not enough mouths to feed". Torrey Smith has proven to be a one trick pony over the years (drafted him as well actually, but got out after year 2). Jeffery is a true #1 and that's HELPS Jordan underneath with single cov. Jordan has had this consistent success because he's been the guy cutting across the field, taking a beating, taking the volume/slot duties. No one is threatening THAT job. Ertz is what he is at this point to me. Agholor is/was a joke of a prospect day 1.
The Wildcards est. 2010 (2016 Champs)
12-team Non-PPR, standard scoring
Starts QB, QB/TE, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST
Rodgers, Dak, Tyrod, Trubisky, JimmyG, Savage
Latavius, Perine, JHoward, Gore, Skittles Lynch,Zenner, Ivory, Michael
Adams, Tyreek, Tyrell, Diggs, Rishard Matthews, J Matthews, Gabriel, Meredith, Enunwa
Eifert, JThomas, macdonald
Kicker
Defense

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 am

Yeah, definitely feels like there's more to the knee than what the public narrative has been so far. Minimally it's becoming a chronic issue. If it really is only knee tendinitis, you'd think it'd be cleared up by start of camp late next month. His nagging injuries (knee and ankle) clearly contributed to his down year last year, in addition of course to playing with a rookie QB.

As for his outlook, I don't think aging 1-trick pony Smith hurts him at all. Alshon will help him by drawing coverage and opening up JM's sweet spot in the slot. Algholor is a potentially bigger threat, at least early on. He's clearly fighting for his life and early camp reports that he's significantly better and hungrier. I'm not a Nelson truther, but he could make some noise in the short term primarily at Matthews expense. Still, if Matthews is healthy, I think he is the clear #2 for the Eagles this year and easily could have a career resurgence. Something like 80, 1,000, 8 is infinitely achievable if things bounce right.

Afroman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Afroman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I won't say that the chronic issues are worrisome, if I remember correctly they said he had a hand injury the season before and thats why he had such a high drop rate. But he does remind me of Eric Decker a lot, aren't going to wow you with athleticism but is a big slot that can be a valuable flex play with a decent floor.
12 team 1pt ppr IDP 2LB, DB, DL 2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE
QB: Luck, Bridgewater, Big Ben, Cousins,
RB: Bell, Peterson, Kamara, Du.Johnson, Ajayi, Prosise, J. Connor, T.J. Logan
WR: Hopkins, ARob, Allen, Cooper, White, Watkins, Doctson, Aiken, Ford, Golladay Lockett
TE: Eifert, Howard
DL:Watt, Buckner
LB: T. Smith,A. Ogletree,
DB: K. Joesph
Def: Falcons

abecksta
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby abecksta » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:45 pm

In a 12 team PPR I just traded Decker and Blount for a Matthews. Could be a really bad trade if Decker and Blount both put up top 24ish seasons which is definitely possible, but I think Matthews should have a productive career and it freed up a roster space for me so I went for it.