Matt Jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Matt Jones

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:55 am

Regardless of whether you actually think Powell is any good, I certainly wouldn't consider Matt Jones an obvious upgrade to Powell. I think that's a leap of faith opinion. Powell isn't a world beater, but did show more than you're giving him credit for last season. No one would fault someone for not watching the Jets and I fail to believe everyone watches every player all the time. He's a solid back, though obviously not the long term answer. He has shown more than Matt Jones has.

Not saying Jones isn't worth a flier given the team has nothing to lose, but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that Jones would be an improvement for the team overall.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 am

the way woody runs the jets
if he is confirmed as US ambassador to britain we could be back as a british commonwealth one day soon!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:42 pm

New England could use another RB...lol. Kidding.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:55 am Regardless of whether you actually think Powell is any good, I certainly wouldn't consider Matt Jones an obvious upgrade to Powell. I think that's a leap of faith opinion. Powell isn't a world beater, but did show more than you're giving him credit for last season. No one would fault someone for not watching the Jets and I fail to believe everyone watches every player all the time. He's a solid back, though obviously not the long term answer. He has shown more than Matt Jones has.

Not saying Jones isn't worth a flier given the team has nothing to lose, but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that Jones would be an improvement for the team overall.
I agree - Powell is a better back than Jones. Powell is an all around reliable hard nosed back who gives 100% every time he totes the rock.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am

skip wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:05 pm
Spinkso wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 am You have not watched Bilal Powell. Rewatch him. He can play.
I didn't realize I wasnt watching these guys play to develop an opinion...?

Go back over the last 6 seasons and demonstrate for me any evidence suggesting the Jets consider Powell a starting caliber RB. Every single season they have brought someone in to start instead of Powell. Now at his age...28 is it? they have suddenly done a 180?
Pretty much. But he is awesome...and probably why they passed on RB's all the way through the draft. I mean can you even land a better RB?
For me the late rounder they picked up might be the biggest threat on the roster given the Jets positioning/inclination to check guys out for 2018.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Jones is probably finished mattering in fantasy. Reportedly, most front-offices around the league believed Scot McCloughan reached on Jones with a Day 2 pick, so even his draft pedigree probably won't count for much, whenever he's released. Jones probably should have been a 6th round pick, or maybe even undrafted; his college resume certainly wasn't anything special.

I won't rule out the possibility of Jones going to a weak depth-chart somewhere, and that creating some temporary fantasy hope, but ultimately I expect nothing much will come of it.

Jones had a shot, but he stumbled too many times with his opportunities. He flashed here and there, but the bad play outweighed the good play. I'm concluding that the verdict is in with him.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:13 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 pm I swear Matt Jones is the most overrated RB right now. Plz listen to me, anyone... lol. You'll thank me a year or two from now.
Tell us more about Orleans Darkwa and Terrell Watson, though.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 am

jones was over drafted but this year a guy named gillislee (also a former gator) is all the rage and he was drafted 5th round I think and floundered in 2013 getting 6 carries while daniel thomas received 109 and zero carries in 2014 .... the book is far from written . What we have is a 24 year old back with some receiving chops and avg 4.6 YPC last season . Just because the skins have given up on him , if anything that could be a good thing - they have bungled the qb situation let 2 pro receivers walk in the off season frankly they seem adrift as an an organization. A ticket out of washington could be a god send and personally I feel like if you get him cheaply he could be a solid add at a position where guys get injured at an alarming rate. The fumbles are an issue but several high quality backs have had to get that under control.
hell compare his early career to that of bilal powell already heavily mentioned in this thread and now people love him - why opportunity and if jones goes somewhere and has a chance do not be shocked if he succeeds.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci