BS Trading Practices

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: BS Trading Practices

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:54 pm

If you think a trade can get accepted then go ahead and send it. People will always complain about their e-feelings. If they wanna throw a fit, let em embarrass themselves.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 pm

SCYCPA wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm
hammertoes wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am
BuckeyeNation wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:03 pm All part of the game. Some owners send worse offers than others, but none of us send great offers every time. When it comes to trading, I'm a dialogue guy. I like to express my interest in a player, ask the owner what pieces on my team he has interest in, then try to put something together.
The problem I run into when I do this is, I'll express my interest in a mid-range player... let's say Jeremy Maclin. I'll ask what pieces I have that they'd have interest in and the respond "I like Zeke, Evans, and Amari". Really dude? That doesn't help at all. Everyone loves those players, but do you think I'd trade any of them for mid-range player X? Give me something realistic to work with.
I had literally exactly this happen to me the other day.

I sent a couple offers to a guy in my league who has a very rough team which is not very good. Both were good deals, slightly in his favor but I was looking to consolidate roster space. No studs or elite level players involved.

He responds, "From your team I would want either Cooks, Amari, or A-Rob, that's all I want, nothing else". Dude doesn't have the firepower anywhere on his team to get players like that, which I told him. His response: "Well those are the only guys I want, if you want to do a trade with me you have to include one of them". Okay, hoss, hold your breath waiting for the offer then. :wtf:
I'm a little confused what the problem is. Seems like great communication all around?

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 pm I'm a little confused what the problem is. Seems like great communication all around?
Yeah, sometimes you just walk away. It's fine - plenty of trades just won't happen between 2 teams for whatever reason, good or bad.

Hard "no's" on availability are clear... for most GMs.

Unfortunately, there's often that one putz who still sends terrible offers for your "not available" guy.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm

melohaven wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 am I do something that others would probably disagree with. If I get constant bad offers from the same team I just ignore them until they either expire or a day before they expire. But if its from a team that I rarely hear from I will decline and move on.
I'm a fan of the instant reject if it's not close and I know that discussion just won't happen.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 pm
I'm a little confused what the problem is. Seems like great communication all around?
Any response is good whether or not I agree with the valuation. Just more info to file away.

I put 1.12 on the block. Owner asks what it'll take. I say I'm interested in this guy. He says no way, I value that player as 1.01+.

End of discussion but at least now I know where I stand on that player and won't bother trying to construct a deal in the future because dude thinks Tyreek is better than everyone in the draft and wants another piece on top of it. Whether I agree or not doesn't matter but I know I'm not gonna offer enough.

hammertoes
Role Player
Role Player

Postby hammertoes » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:38 am

hammertoes wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

The problem I run into when I do this is, I'll express my interest in a mid-range player... let's say Jeremy Maclin. I'll ask what pieces I have that they'd have interest in and the respond "I like Zeke, Evans, and Amari". Really dude? That doesn't help at all. Everyone loves those players, but do you think I'd trade any of them for mid-range player X? Give me something realistic to work with.

I sent a couple offers to a guy in my league who has a very rough team which is not very good. Both were good deals, slightly in his favor but I was looking to consolidate roster space. No studs or elite level players involved.

He responds, "From your team I would want either Cooks, Amari, or A-Rob, that's all I want, nothing else". Dude doesn't have the firepower anywhere on his team to get players like that, which I told him. His response: "Well those are the only guys I want, if you want to do a trade with me you have to include one of them". Okay, hoss, hold your breath waiting for the offer then. :wtf:
I agree that the communication is good, but the only information gleaned from it is that the other guy has wildly unrealistic expectations.

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes! To me, talking a trade through is an opportunity to have some fun, which is the reason I got into dynasty in the first place. I never turn anyone into an "auto reject." What if one day the low-baller changes his ways or sends me an offer I like? I've also found some owners are so caught up in their own evaluations—I am talking about the crowd that does not "believe" in ADP or anyone's trade calculator—that getting all worked up is futile. I've received my share of "bad" offers but I force myself to think of them as having done even this in good faith--maybe they wanted to get a dialogue going?--and respond without rancor or malice! —Best, Steve
BuckeyeNation wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:03 pm When it comes to trading, I'm a dialogue guy. I like to express my interest in a player, ask the owner what pieces on my team he has interest in, then try to put something together.

joker4
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby joker4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:04 pm

In my league from home my friend Tony will send what we call "Tony offer" to start off with which are terrible offers. He does it to try and get us to counter with an offer so he can see where we value our players next to his in a counter in the attempt to try and get a deal for less then what he would originally offer. It's a smart idea but it is super annoying
16 team .5 PPR

1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 2 FLEX

QB-Jared Goff Tom Savage, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB-Ezekiel Elliot, Jeremy McNichols Elijah McGuire, Matt Breida
WR-Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins Corey Coleman, Donte Moncreif Braxton Miller, Marquis Lee, Calvin Johnson
TE-David Njoku Vance McDonald, Bucky Hodges, Dwayne Allen, Jared Cook, Adam Shaheen, Eric Swoope

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 pm

hammertoes wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:38 am

I agree that the communication is good, but the only information gleaned from it is that the other guy has wildly unrealistic expectations.
While I agree in principle with the idea it is pretty difficult to say his expectations are wildly unrealistic. We have no idea who the original targets were only that it is a roster shortening move which more often than not requires much more than slight overpay in my experience.
Not knowing the players involved or context makes it really difficult to say he has nothing to trade for Cooks/ARob/Amari because it sounds like he is a lock for 1.01 which is a good start for any player given where the 1.01 ADP usually ends up come draft day.

Anyway roster shortening moves are very tricky and probably the source of many BS trade offers because all teams have the same roster requirements AND if my team is bad trading away my best players or potential starters (on my bad team) for slight overpays those typically are not moves that make my team better. Then we need to consider are the players I have 'buy low' and the guys I am being offered 'sell high'? Some owners don't buy into the group thoughts on values so not always cut and dried.

I know for my part most of the worst offers I see are guys trying to free up roster spots and rarely are 3 3/4th rounders adding up to a 2nd...the same way 3 2nds rarely land you a mid-1st.

I mean lets face it now is roster consolidation time so most if not all owners are looking to do the same things whether they are a contender or a complete bottom feeder
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm

joker4 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:04 pm In my league from home my friend Tony will send what we call "Tony offer" to start off with which are terrible offers. He does it to try and get us to counter with an offer so he can see where we value our players next to his in a counter in the attempt to try and get a deal for less then what he would originally offer. It's a smart idea but it is super annoying
In one of my leagues 80-90% of initial offers are junk, usually a way to get feel for what the other is thinking. Love it when I reject an offer and then an hour later that team drops the offered player :lol:
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm

I don't mind the bad offers, I usually explain in a friendly way why I don't like it, sometimes I'll counter or sometimes I'll say "it will take a lot more". Often these offers don't lead to much, but sometimes you can develop a good back and forth and come to some sort of trade consensus. The only time I start to get annoyed is when a specific owner consistently sends out bad offers (at least in my opinion) and never wants to truly discuss or give an inch.