Is it getting harder to trade these days?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Is it getting harder to trade these days?

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

Im in 7 different dynasty leagues with various formats and it seems as if this year has been one of the hardest to get a deal done. I get that people all value players differently and player hype or rookie fever can have an impact on values too. Still, this has been an incredibly frustrating year for me given the amount I typically tend to trade and I am having to really canvass hard to get anything through.

It seems like unless someone feels like that they will outright trade rape you then they wont accept the offer. Trades based on roster requirements or build/win now strategy that should be even in value are being ignored more and more. I get tons of bleep offers every year and its par for the course, but this year the amount of garbage I am being sent is off the charts. The amount of dumb trades I have also accepted from people prepared to spend a fortune for the 1.1 to 1.4 has also been crazy. Cool when you have those picks, a frikken nightmare if you are in a rebuild anywhere.

Im starting to wonder if the popularity of dynasty is starting to bring in a lot of newer players who are struggling to wrap their heads around the differences between dynasty and redraft.

Maybe I have just had one of those offseasons.

Christ.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Is it getting harder to trade these days?

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 am

I think a lot of it has to do with the hype level on this class and the unreal expectations that the dynasty community as a whole has been putting on high end rookie picks after the 14 and 15 classes and then zeke.
I've seen people saying thing like take Davis and lock down your wr1 for 8 years. That's a ton of expectations to put on a pick that at best had a 60-70% hit rate

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 am

Established leagues tend to go this way especially if there is little owner turnover. The longer my leagues go the less trading occurs. It isn't that guys won't trade but the fit has to be right unless you have new blood that some of the owners can take advantage of...you know the ones that rarely deal with you because they send bs trade offers for the most part
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:38 am

I find that trades are the hardest right before the rookie draft. Many owners don't want to trade picks until they are on the clock, and even when picks are not involved in trade offers, they want to wait until after the draft to see where their team stands. Very frustrating.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

My normal 'dynasty' league is a 3 year catch and release league with a 2 year taxi to stash rooks and 2nd year guys.

This format provides enough time to hold guys to make a run with your squad but the forced turnover helps create action.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am

Owners are getting smarter and more familiarized with dynasty. If you're used to "winning" your trades, it might not be as easy and will have to settle for even trades.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 am

I rarely trade, ever, in all of my leagues for this exact same reason. I refuse to lose value and make my team worse just to say I am actively trading and participating in the full dynasty experience. In all my leagues rookie picks are always worth their weight in gold, regardless of what part of the season it is. Another big thing that really hurts the amount of trade activity is we cannot trade OTC due to third-party commissioners that want to micro-manage and are so worried of collusion/cheating (MFL). That would make a huge difference, but I think the main thing is people really over-value the players they own and/or under value the players they are trying to trade for, which makes little sense if they are initiating the offer.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am

I am getting a little bit irritated with some of the recent posts on this site with the idea that OTHER owners need to run their teams in a certain way. I'm extremely active on this forum but the trading I do on my teams is minimal. I don't react/overreact to every tidbit of news that either boosts or drops a player's value. The majority of offers I decline even if the value may appear right. Do I NEED an overpay? No. But if I have someone on my team that I like and am not looking to move then there has to be an incentive or a trade will not happen. I occasionally will make offers going after a specific player but I don't go to my team/league site daily trying to figure out how to make tweaks. The bulk of my trading happens during the rookie draft. I have an idea of the players that I want and if I feel I can wait then I try to move down. If I think I may lose someone then I try to move up or trade in. I don't trade all that much leading up to a draft nor afterward.
Friction wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 am Another big thing that really hurts the amount of trade activity is we cannot trade OTC due to third-party commissioners that want to micro-manage and are so worried of collusion/cheating (MFL).
I'm a little confused with this sentence...what do you mean? Are you suggesting that MFL is preventing you from trading while OTC? That must be something specific to your league/commissioner. MFL allows trading while OTC...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 pm

skip wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am I am getting a little bit irritated with some of the recent posts on this site with the idea that OTHER owners need to run their teams in a certain way. I'm extremely active on this forum but the trading I do on my teams is minimal. I don't react/overreact to every tidbit of news that either boosts or drops a player's value. The majority of offers I decline even if the value may appear right. Do I NEED an overpay? No. But if I have someone on my team that I like and am not looking to move then there has to be an incentive or a trade will not happen. I occasionally will make offers going after a specific player but I don't go to my team/league site daily trying to figure out how to make tweaks. The bulk of my trading happens during the rookie draft. I have an idea of the players that I want and if I feel I can wait then I try to move down. If I think I may lose someone then I try to move up or trade in. I don't trade all that much leading up to a draft nor afterward.
Pretty much this. I rarely trade for the sake of being in the activity column. I have players I like on most of my teams so often not trading isn't a big deal to me.
Also when I want a player I generally have no problem making it known and getting a near reasonable deal done. I have been known to overpay for guys I want but within reason. Some owners I just never get deals done with because I don't want to sell Mike Thomas (NO) for a bunch of 2nd round value players or picks. Like most owners I want quality over quantity and won't be shy to pay a premium on guys I value more than consensus.
I also have plenty of offers that are probably overpays rejected because the other owner likes the player as much or more than I do...no hard feelings that their assessment matches or exceeds mine.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am Owners are getting smarter and more familiarized with dynasty. If you're used to "winning" your trades, it might not be as easy and will have to settle for even trades.
This is the problem as I see it. Owners are too concerned with "winning" trades rather than looking to improve their team through mutually-beneficial deals.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I'll never understand complaining about other owners not giving you players or picks for the price YOU think they should. I am a very active trader but not everyone is. Ever think that the players you are trying to move they don't want for the same reasons as you? Or the players you want from their team they want for The same reasons? They aren't obligated to trade to make your team better. Just move on to the next team if they have a need for something, but I never will understand being upset another owner won't give you something off their team that you want. It doesn't work like that.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm a little confused with this sentence...what do you mean? Are you suggesting that MFL is preventing you from trading while OTC? That must be something specific to your league/commissioner. MFL allows trading while OTC...

Yes Skip, we are not allowed to trade OTC during the start ups or rookie drafts. Masters Fantasy Leagues, which I believe uses the same website/software as MFL, but basically gets a group of strangers together and the site owners act as a non-biased commissioner and cannot participate in the league. I joined one years ago when I got sick of local leagues where i knew people or being in leagues of buddies/coworkers, as those are just not for me at all anymore. I actually can't stand playing with people I know for the most part. Anyways the leagues are legit and have made a ton of money off them over the years, but I have cut down to three or four on there now. The trading and off-season rules are not the best in my experience.
Valhalla's Father

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Friction wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm Yes Skip, we are not allowed to trade OTC during the start ups or rookie drafts. Masters Fantasy Leagues, which I believe uses the same website/software as MFL, but basically gets a group of strangers together and the site owners act as a non-biased commissioner and cannot participate in the league.
Ok, so for clarification then we are not talking about MFL. I was just a little confused because I've been on MFL for 10+ years now and never been prevented from trading while OTC.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Once again Skip knocks it out of the park.

I really don't understand threads like this that basically just complain about trade activity in certain leagues. Some people just don't like to trade...
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm

skip wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 pm
Friction wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm Yes Skip, we are not allowed to trade OTC during the start ups or rookie drafts. Masters Fantasy Leagues, which I believe uses the same website/software as MFL, but basically gets a group of strangers together and the site owners act as a non-biased commissioner and cannot participate in the league.
Ok, so for clarification then we are not talking about MFL. I was just a little confused because I've been on MFL for 10+ years now and never been prevented from trading while OTC.
Maybe a dumb question as I had assumed a couple years ago that MFL=Master Fantasy Leagues when talked about on here and I know some posters who are in leagues with me on there. But MFL actually= My Fantasy Leagues, which uses the same platform, correct? It looks the exact same as the leagues I am in, literally. So is the website owned by the same dudes?
Valhalla's Father