Who Will Be The Best TE From The 2017 Class?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Best TE From 2017?

Howard
29%
Engram
27%
Njoku
30%
Everett
5%
Shaheen
3%
Smith
1%
Hodges
0%
Butt
3%
Leggett
0%
Other
2%

Total votes: 239

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Who Will Be The Best TE From The 2017 Class?

Postby onetwothree » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 am butt jokes aside people grabbing him with both hands , would they still grab zach so hard that it ertz with if he were coming off a major knee injury ?
Oof.

My only concern is if I still want Butt when everyone else has passed on Butt several times. Beggars can't be choosers though!

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm

dm1129 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 am
_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 am Describing Njoku as "lumbering" downfield is kind of ridiculous as he glides with the ball like a man half his size. Anyway, I found this gif of him hurtling the haters:

If Howard is available, I think you have to take him as he is the safer prospect, I will concede that. At the same time, I think Njoku has a higher ceiling.
This simply isn't true. Njoku does not glide when he runs, his gait is not as smooth as Howard's(who is bigger and faster). You continuously say Njoku has a higher ceiling so I am assuming you think Njoku is a far superior athelete to Howard and it is not the case. Njoku is not exceptionally fast and is caught from behind often. What this gif displays is his ability to jump, and yes he can jump. The three times each season that Cleveland reaches the red zone, Njoku has the potential to be a weapon there. :lol:
The fact that someone isn't exceptionally fast does not mean they don't run well in the game of football or glide as I put it in somewhat of a flippant compliment. When you assume, you make a what out of who and who? I did not say he is a superior athlete and if the game's greats at TE show us anything it is that it isn't required that you be the BEST athlete to be the BEST TE.

Njoku isn't exceptionally fast, most TEs aren't. He is fast enough, and what I was referring to was the feel he has when he runs. His stride length and vision when going for YAC and willingness to use his body to create more yards are something that impresses me. Howard would win an outright footrace between the two but I like the way Njoku moves after the catch is what I was referring to. As for the gif, I didn't create the gif and it isn't like the internet is swimming in Njoku gifs. I just included what I found because it's an awesome play that most players can't do. Jumping matters for end zone threats and three times a season for Cleveland, huh? Tell that to Gary Barnidge and the unicorn 30 year-old break out season. This isn't some hot take saying Howard isn't going to be good. I think Njoku has a higher ceiling to produce more over the course of his career and I think Kizer will be a decent NFL QB.

I think that Njoku will grow into a better pro than college player, hence the more "raw" comments. Everyone acts like someone being a bit raw is a death sentence bc it often gets thrown on every decent athlete without a good feel for the game. They said the same thing about Danielle Hunter, another TWENTY year old who entered the league. Now after two years he has broken out and looks to be a mainstay top-5 DE. Let us not forget Howard is two years older than Njoku and that MATTERs when it comes to development at the TE position, a position that everyone is quick to remind each other has a steep learning curve in the transition to pro anyway.

You cannot prove me wrong that Njoku could not have a higher ceiling, which it appears you are trying to do. It is my opinion and to act like the higher drafted guy, or the guy in the better short term situation, or the guy who appears can't miss is guaranteed to be better is to be incredibly naive and something everyone who drafted RG3 in dynasty and including the actual real life Washington organization would agree with.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:21 pm

What's exciting here is, we might have great rookie years from multiple TEs. That NEVER happens!

BUT... it could.

Happy I drafted Njoku ;)
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Engram. Give me the big fast receiver that's a tight end in name only.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am

Im going to try to revive this thread a bit by giving my opinions on what seems to be the consensus top 3. Made a separate post not realizing this one exists haha

My number 1 TE is definitely Howard. In terms of talent, he is right up there with anyone in this draft class, but gets the obvious bump down due to being a TE. I believe he's the most talented TE to come out since Gronk did. He is by far the best all-around TE in this class, which will definitely help him get early touches. If a TE can't block, they tend to not get many targets early in their careers. Which is a huge reason why I am putting Howard above the other two. His lack of college production is definitely one of the concerning things most people will point out. However, Alabama was terrible at designing plays for him down the field. Most of the plays he was used in were as a check down or short routes down the middle. I am willing to look past his stats though because when he did get the ball you saw his talent when he had the ball in his hands. He also has been known as a top talent since he was recruited. He was the #1 TE in his recruiting class. He also is playing with Winston as his QB. So, you will not have to worry about him not having a good QB throwing to him. Overall, I think Howard is the safest TE out of the 3 as well. I see his floor as a low-end TE1/high-end TE2 because of his blocking ability will keep him on the field, even if somehow he doesn't make use of his great measurables as a receiver.

My number 2 TE is going to be Engram. He clearly possess great pass catching ability. If he is used the right way, he could end up being a player similar to Jordan Reed. He has great athleticism as too, even as a smaller TE, running a 4.42 is extremely fast for someone his size. Now, he has one major concern when it comes to being a TE. Plain and simply, he won't be able to block well in the NFL. He weighs about 230 and is no where big enough to block a DE or OLB. He will get beat most of the time trying to block one of them. So, he will be relegated to being a pure pass catching TE. Heck, I would not be surprised he was considered more a WR at some point in his career. I think he may take the longest to convert his draft stock into meaningful fantasy production. Right now he is behind OBJ, Marshall, and Shepard for targets and he will rarely be the only TE on the field unless they are running a spread. You also have to worry about when Eli retires, who will be throwing the ball for the NYG? Overall, I think he quite possibly has the highest upside of any of the big 3 TEs, but has obvious deficiencies to his game as a TE. So, if he doesn't live up to his hype as a pass-catcher, he could end of being a bust.

My number 3 TE is Njoku. In most draft classes, he would be considered the best TE prospect, but he ended up being in one of the best in recent memory. Njoku has great athleticim, just like the others. He also has the benefit of being in one of the most TE friendly offenses in the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me if he put up the most points of any of the rookie TEs this season. He doesn't have a ton of competition for targets(compared to Howard/Engram) and the Browns might be in a lot of garbage time, so they could air it out at the end of games a lot this season. Some of his downside is in his rawness as a prospect. He has shown clear talent as a receiver, but was a little sloppy as a route runner at times. He also doesn't have the ability as a blocker Howard has, but is a bigger TE, so he could develop that aspect of his game. There's also the obvious drawback of being on the Browns haha, but I personally think they are turning things around there. They also still don't have an established QB and have never had one, so that is a big concern. Overall, I think Njoku is the most raw prospect out of the 3, but he may have landed in the best situation for immediate production. He is the most likely to bust of the 3 in my opinion, but it's quite possible none of them bust. It's unlikely though.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am

My number one value rookie TE is G. Kittle. Been touting him since before the draft. Already GM Lynch is singing his praises and talking him up as possible starter. May even compete as number one overall ! Believe me now, thank me later :whistle:

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am My number one value rookie TE is G. Kittle. Been touting him since before the draft. Already GM Lynch is singing his praises and talking him up as possible starter. May even compete as number one overall ! Believe me now, thank me later :whistle:
What makes you so high on him besides Lynch's comments? I'm actually curious because I think he can win the starting job, but don't know a lot about him besides recent talks.

The Grudge
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Grudge » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Goddard wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 am
cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am My number one value rookie TE is G. Kittle. Been touting him since before the draft. Already GM Lynch is singing his praises and talking him up as possible starter. May even compete as number one overall ! Believe me now, thank me later :whistle:
What makes you so high on him besides Lynch's comments? I'm actually curious because I think he can win the starting job, but don't know a lot about him besides recent talks.
I love this thread.

I would also like to know why some are so high on Kittle? In my sig 1 league I did not have a 1st or a 2nd pick, so my 3rd I took Everett. I am very very weak on TE and when a new NFL coach who takes a TE with his first pick in the 2nd round, then says he compares said player to Reed, makes me very happy. I hope he turns into something. I also picked up Kittle off wiavers in hopes he lives up to the SF hype. Im looking for at least one of my TE's to crack into the top 12. Im really hoping...
Sig 2 team I drafted based on BPA. I am weak on RB, but got Njoku with the 1:10 and was pretty pumped. I can afford to have him develop if need be for a year or two. And if he comes out of the gates on fire, I can always start 2 te's
Team#1-12 team ppr 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/RB-WR-TE Flex/2DE/3LB/3DB/DE-LB-DB Flex 18 Starters
QB: Wilson, Allan, Big Ben
RB: Mixon, J. Taylor, Ekeler, R. Jones, Edmonds, D. Harris, Freeman, Gio, K. Hill, Tony Jones
WR: Cooper, Hopkins, Godwin, Cooks, Jeudy, Higgins, E. Moore, Callaway, Palmer, Slayton,
TE: Kittle, Jonnu Smith, Tonyan, RSJ, Parham, Albert O
K:
DE: Heyward, Hendrickson, Davenport
LB: Jayon Brown, Littleton, Leonard, Warner, Mosley, Wilson, Gay,
DB: Byard, Bell, Jenkins

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 pm

I third this question...why the Kittle love? Just the combine?
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people are so high on him. I like him as flier, but there's still TEs outside the top 3, I'd rather have than him. He was a 5th round pick, so obviously not many NFL teams thought he was that great of a prospect. Not saying he can't be a good TE, but the odds are against him.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:25 pm

I am in thr midst of four rookie drafts today (12 team, full ppr) and OJ went 1.04 in the first one. Wow
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:39 pm

nabright wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people are so high on him. I like him as flier, but there's still TEs outside the top 3, I'd rather have than him. He was a 5th round pick, so obviously not many NFL teams thought he was that great of a prospect. Not saying he can't be a good TE, but the odds are against him.
Iowa is a run heavy offense with no spread attack whatsoever. No TE would put up #'s in that system.

He's not getting enough credit. Guy ran a 4.52!

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:39 pm
nabright wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people are so high on him. I like him as flier, but there's still TEs outside the top 3, I'd rather have than him. He was a 5th round pick, so obviously not many NFL teams thought he was that great of a prospect. Not saying he can't be a good TE, but the odds are against him.
Iowa is a run heavy offense with no spread attack whatsoever. No TE would put up #'s in that system.

He's not getting enough credit. Guy ran a 4.52!
Little competition in SF , already getting run with the first team. Best blocking TE in the draft. Only needs to add some size. Comes from a strong lineage of nfl caliber TE's. Tremendous catch % during college career. SF will be playing from behind and passing a lot with a checkdown maestro @ QB. Measurables are right there with the top rated guys.

I would not be surprised to see him have the best rookie fantasy season of them all. Kittle has the least path of resistance to meaningful targets except for Njoku who still has to contend with DeValve.

Fantasy>>>Reality
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Fantasy>>>Reality » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Jonnu Smith
25 Man Roster
12 team Superflex
.5ppr
Start 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1Flex, 1TE
QB: Murray, Burrow, Cousins, Willis
RB: Najee, Gibson, Ken Walker, Miles Sanders, Darrel Williams
WR: Chase, CeeDee, Godwin, Mooney, Osborne, Eli Moore, Hardman, Ty Johnson
TE: Goedert, Trautman, Conklin, B Jordan
2023-1st x 2
2023- 3rd x 3

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm

I grabbed him (Kittle) with the last pick in my draft today for team in Sig. Basically had no Tes and now roster he and Njoku. Might grab Jonnu off FCFS next week, but prob need to keep Cook or a better Vet stopgap for this year. Though waivers are bare.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry