Who Will Be The Best TE From The 2017 Class?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Best TE From 2017?

Howard
29%
Engram
27%
Njoku
30%
Everett
5%
Shaheen
3%
Smith
1%
Hodges
0%
Butt
3%
Leggett
0%
Other
2%

Total votes: 239

Missile
Captain
Captain

Re: Who Will Be The Best TE From The 2017 Class?

Postby Missile » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:05 am
Missile wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:45 am
_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 am Describing Njoku as "lumbering" downfield is kind of ridiculous as he glides with the ball like a man half his size. Anyway, I found this gif of him hurtling the haters:

If Howard is available, I think you have to take him as he is the safer prospect, I will concede that. At the same time, I think Njoku has a higher ceiling.
Who did you vote for?
Isn't it obvious? Njoku. If I had an NFL team I'd draft Howard but I have a fantasy team, give me Njoku! But I see them both having good careers
It was obvious until your last comment of taking Howard if he is available.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 am

Missile wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 am
Missile wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:45 am

Who did you vote for?
Isn't it obvious? Njoku. If I had an NFL team I'd draft Howard but I have a fantasy team, give me Njoku! But I see them both having good careers
I think there is a difference between who we believe can achieve the most and who is safer. When the better pedigree and landing spot match up, I have to go with Howard. If they are both available with me on the clock it would be a gut check moment because I like what I see from Njoku more.

If I want to be conservative or want faster production: Howard. If I want to gamble for a bigger jackpot: Njoku.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:16 am

Also, let's be honest, when football fans or fantasy players talk about the "best" TEs, no one gives a crap about blocking. The threshold is basically, "can they block well enough to stay on the field and catch touchdowns?" "They can?" That's A+ blocking. It's all about those TDs

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 am

I think there is a difference between who we believe can achieve the most and who is safer. When the better pedigree and landing spot match up, I have to go with Howard. If they are both available with me on the clock it would be a gut check moment because I like what I see from Njoku more.

If I want to be conservative or want faster production: Howard. If I want to gamble for a bigger jackpot: Njoku.
Yeah but for this question and when you are otc you have to decide if Njoku will hit his ceiling. I think if people are voting Njoku there should be no doubt. The results to me could be somewhat misleading if you are voting Njoku but then drafting Howard when the time comes.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 am

Missile wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 am

Yeah but for this question and when you are otc you have to decide if Njoku will hit his ceiling. I think if people are voting Njoku there should be no doubt. The results to me could be somewhat misleading if you are voting Njoku but then drafting Howard when the time comes.
I did draft Njoku and haven't drafted Howard. Anyone who says there is no doubt is a liar or is not very aware or is very biased. I am saying that it isn't a bias, I can acknowledge they are both good and Howard is in a good spot. I think Njoku will be better. When I watch him I see the "it" factor of someone who can be great. Just because I like one more doesn't make the other bad. I take Fournette 1 but that doesn't mean I have no doubt he ends up a better player than Mixon or others when all is said and done. I rank Njoku first but I acknowledge this is far from certain and that Howard is safer in this moment because everyone is going to act like this is a done deal midseason of 2017 and I like Njoku for the long haul.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:43 am

This has turned into Njoku vs. Howard.

Even though, I think Engram and Everett aren't far off from Njoku.

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:53 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 am
Missile wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 am

I did draft Njoku and haven't drafted Howard. Anyone who says there is no doubt is a liar or is not very aware or is very biased. I am saying that it isn't a bias, I can acknowledge they are both good and Howard is in a good spot. I think Njoku will be better. When I watch him I see the "it" factor of someone who can be great. Just because I like one more doesn't make the other bad. I take Fournette 1 but that doesn't mean I have no doubt he ends up a better player than Mixon or others when all is said and done. I rank Njoku first but I acknowledge this is far from certain and that Howard is safer in this moment because everyone is going to act like this is a done deal midseason of 2017 and I like Njoku for the long haul.
I don't think this is a done deal by any stretch. Nothing is ever certain. It's fun to conjecture about it though.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:21 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:43 am This has turned into Njoku vs. Howard.

Even though, I think Engram and Everett aren't far off from Njoku.
Fournette (Howard)
Mixon (Njoku)
CMC (Engram)
Cook (Everett)

Haha. Not really body types or play style but just kind of the way tiers are falling out

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am

Why are we talking about OJH as if his ceiling is low, it's right around Njoku's.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am Why are we talking about OJH as if his ceiling is low, it's right around Njoku's.
I never said that, actually said the opposite. I just said I personally thought Njoku's was higher.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am Why are we talking about OJH as if his ceiling is low, it's right around Njoku's.
I never said that, actually said the opposite. I just said I personally thought Njoku's was higher.
Just seemed to be the general theme of the thread as well as the voting.

I didn't go crazy trying to aquire njoku bc I would think the two things a Te needs to be good at is blocking and catching the ball. Njoku has issues with both those things. Don't get me wrong, I like him. But he's certainly a riskier bet.

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:04 am

This is a stacked class and ultimately I think Howard is the #1. However, there are plenty of other talented guys that came out this year that can be had at lower prices.

I drafted Everett in the 3rd because McVay created the Jordan Reed type TE role and has admitted that Everett was drafted for that purpose. I was able to grab Hodges off of the WW after the draft. His offense/QB scare the bleep out of me, but his athletic profile gives me plenty to be excited about going forward.

I don't expect any FF gains from my TEs until year three so I am happy to let them develop.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 am Describing Njoku as "lumbering" downfield is kind of ridiculous as he glides with the ball like a man half his size. Anyway, I found this gif of him hurtling the haters:

If Howard is available, I think you have to take him as he is the safer prospect, I will concede that. At the same time, I think Njoku has a higher ceiling.
This simply isn't true. Njoku does not glide when he runs, his gait is not as smooth as Howard's(who is bigger and faster). You continuously say Njoku has a higher ceiling so I am assuming you think Njoku is a far superior athelete to Howard and it is not the case. Njoku is not exceptionally fast and is caught from behind often. What this gif displays is his ability to jump, and yes he can jump. The three times each season that Cleveland reaches the red zone, Njoku has the potential to be a weapon there. :lol:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am

John Paul wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:04 am This is a stacked class and ultimately I think Howard is the #1. However, there are plenty of other talented guys that came out this year that can be had at lower prices.

I drafted Everett in the 3rd because McVay created the Jordan Reed type TE role and has admitted that Everett was drafted for that purpose. I was able to grab Hodges off of the WW after the draft. His offense/QB scare the bleep out of me, but his athletic profile gives me plenty to be excited about going forward.

I don't expect any FF gains from my TEs until year three so I am happy to let them develop.
Njoku: 6'4, 246, 4.64 (40), 37.5 Vert, 133 Broad, 6.97 3C, 4.34 20YD
Everett: 6'3, 239, 4.62 (40), 37.5 Vert, 126 Broad, 6.99 3C, 4.33 20YD

Granted, Everett is two years older, but still interesting.

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Howard for me and its not close.

However, the real guys i love are Everett and Shaheen for where you are getting them. For my team in sig 1 i just got shaheen at 4.03 and i felt like i stole him.
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10