Adding value to QB's

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
apbohannon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Adding value to QB's

Postby apbohannon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 am

I really hate how the QB position has become so devalued and have been trying to come up with a solution for my leagues. I've seen several stat category variations to help with this, such as 6 pt TD and -4 for INT or completion percentage bonuses; something to help mitigate the scoring of the bad QB's.

One thought I had was to steal some stats from fantasy baseball and apply them to QB's: Wins and Quality starts. I hate the win stat for baseball because it can be somewhat arbitrary, but it seems like it would fit so much better for QB play. I know that bad QB's can play on good teams and still win due to outstanding defenses or a great run game, but I think more often than not it is the QB play that most heavily impact the outcome. I'm not talking about adding that much for a win, maybe 3 - 5 points, but when you consider the opposing QB would then lose points I think it starts to make a big difference.

In regards to the quality start bonus, I think you could just determine what a quality QB performance looks like and then apply that as the standard. The stat line I came up with to test out was:

Completion Percentage: 62.5%
Passing Yards: 250
TD: 2
INT: 1

There are obviously other stats you could consider, such as 1st downs, 3rd down conv.%, and others but his is what I wanted to start with.

I'm interested to know if anyone has been in a league that has done something like this, seen a league like this, or had similar ideas. Also want to get some feedback on positives, negatives, and things I may be overlooking; as well as some ideas that can make this better.
Team 1:
12 Teams, PPR
QB - J. Garoppolo, J. Goff, P. Mahomes
RB - Tevin Coleman, Rashaad Penny, CJ Prosise, Mike Gillislee, Derrius Guice, Tarik Cohen, Joe Mixon
WR - C. Davis , J.Doctson, Ty. Williams, T. Lockett, M. Mitchell, M. Gallup
TE - A. Hooper, OJ Howard, D. Njoku

Team 2:
12 Teams, PPR, SF
QB - A. Rodgers, A. Luck, M. Mariota, K. Lauletta
RB - K. Hunt, A. Kamara, K. Dixon, J. Adams, M. Breida, CJ Prosise, B. Scarbrough
WR - M. Evans, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Godwin, K. Golladay, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, A. Darboh, A. Lazard, I. Zamora, L. Carroo
TE - E. Engram, OJ Howard
DT - S. Day, D. Hand, D. Irving, M. Jackson, S. Williams
DE - V. Curry, K. Ealy, J. Jenkins, R. Quinn, J. Sheard, D. Walker
LB - D. Bucannon, P. Smith, D. Trevathan, S. Griffin, R. Ragland, J. Bynes, B. Hager, K. Ishmael, M. Jefferson, M. Judon, B. Marshall, C. Matthews, W. Mercilus, P. Onwuasor
DB - A. Amos, T. Apke, A. Bethea, P. Chung, D. Everett, T. Gipson, M. Hyde, G. Quin, D. Hill

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Adding value to QB's

Postby skip » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:02 am

Modifying a scoring system is not the way to go, imo. Owners who understand VBD won't change their approach because they understand that what matters is scoring within a position, not across positions.

I'd rather use a superflex league to increase the potential # of starters in the league.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am

skip wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:02 am Modifying a scoring system is not the way to go, imo. Owners who understand VBD won't change their approach because they understand that what matters is scoring within a position, not across positions.

I'd rather use a superflex league to increase the potential # of starters in the league.
X2 your best bet to increase the value of qbs in the league is to increase starter #s. To me there's three options, true 2 qb gives a big boost, superflex, gives a pretty nice boost, or increasing the number of teams to anything really 16 or more.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:32 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am
skip wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:02 am Modifying a scoring system is not the way to go, imo. Owners who understand VBD won't change their approach because they understand that what matters is scoring within a position, not across positions.

X2 your best bet to increase the value of qbs in the league is to increase starter #s. To me there's three options, true 2 qb gives a big boost, superflex, gives a pretty nice boost, or increasing the number of teams to anything really 16 or more.
Agree with both.

apbohannon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby apbohannon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:09 am

The league is superflex, but that still doesn't prevent the Blake Bortles of the world from being as fantasy relevant as better real-world QB's. I'm looking for a way to bolster the fantasy points scored. If all you do is increase the starting requirement, you still don't differentiate the play of good QB's from bad. I'm not saying this is the perfect way to do that, but it seems like a step in that direction.
Team 1:
12 Teams, PPR
RB - Tevin Coleman, Rashaad Penny, CJ Prosise, Mike Gillislee, Derrius Guice, Tarik Cohen, Joe Mixon

Team 2:
12 Teams, PPR, SF
RB - K. Hunt, A. Kamara, K. Dixon, J. Adams, M. Breida, CJ Prosise, B. Scarbrough
WR - M. Evans, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Godwin, K. Golladay, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, A. Darboh, A. Lazard, I. Zamora, L. Carroo
LB - D. Bucannon, P. Smith, D. Trevathan, S. Griffin, R. Ragland, J. Bynes, B. Hager, K. Ishmael, M. Jefferson, M. Judon, B. Marshall, C. Matthews, W. Mercilus, P. Onwuasor
DB - A. Amos, T. Apke, A. Bethea, P. Chung, D. Everett, T. Gipson, M. Hyde, G. Quin, D. Hill

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am

Okay, differentiating good QB play from poor play is a more specific topic than just increasing the value of QBs. One simple thing that can be done is to change the scoring. Part of what is considered standard scoring is 4 pts/TD and -1 or -2 for interceptions. You could consider going to 6 pts/TD and -3 for Ints.

The better fantasy sites have several other scoring options. A word of caution here, though. The more complicated the scoring system gets, the more difficultly the league owners are going to experience finding relevant articles and compiling stats.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 pm

apbohannon wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:09 am The league is superflex, but that still doesn't prevent the Blake Bortles of the world from being as fantasy relevant as better real-world QB's. I'm looking for a way to bolster the fantasy points scored. If all you do is increase the starting requirement, you still don't differentiate the play of good QB's from bad. I'm not saying this is the perfect way to do that, but it seems like a step in that direction.
So this is something different entirely on what you are asking for... You are looking to try to match up real world "value" with fantasy scoring.

If you are going to try this approach then you have to do it for all positions. Who is more valuable... The running back who had 20 touches and 120 total yards? Or the one who got the 2 carries for 3 yards and 2 TDs relieving him at the goal line? Do you create a formula that says TDs count for different numbers of points depending on rushing yards in the game for said player?

If you play ppr, do you not just give 1 point per reception or do you factor in yards per catch on how much each reception is worth? Do you devalue the "garbage time" yardage of a receiver?

Bottom line for me is that you will not be able to accomplish what you are seeking to do without creating a whole host of other problems.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Adding points to QBs for team wins isn't going to help much. The vast majority of the top FANTASY QBs had NFL teams with 8+ wins. No real differentiation there.

If you really want to create something like this, then add the Head Coach position where you get points for wins. Otherwise, you're only inflating even more the value of good fantasy QBs and not solving the problem that you perceive.

General rule: an NFL QB who puts up great fantasy numbers is usually on a winning team.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:26 pm

i've played with this idea in a redraft league but have not found anything that satisfies me. my attempt was to create a bigger disparity between good QBs and bad ones. I tried giving -1.46 points per pass attempt and 2 points for every completion. this worked out to break even if a QB threw at a 70% rate. Above you get extra points, below, negative. I gave bonus points for long passing plays. gave 7 points for TDs and -4 points for INT. I even tried incorporating passing ratings. in the end i wasn't happy with it and gave up.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

iCantStop
Starter
Starter

Postby iCantStop » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Having a +/- for completions/incompletions helps the *good* quarterbacks and hurts the bad ones.. This is one small way to add value.

In one league I'm in we have +0.3 / -0.3. Here's a quick rundown of the top-5 and #s 15-19 (in fppg):
+/-0.3, 1/25 yd, +4 TD/-2 INT
1. Rodgers - 27.3
2. Brees - 25.9
3. Ryan - 25.7
4. Brady - 25.2
5. Luck - 23.5
---Average = 25.52---
15. Mariota - 19.3
16. Bortles - 19.0
17. Flacco - 19.0
18. Palmer- 18.8
19. Rivers - 18.4
---Average = 18.90---
****Delta = 6.62 fppg****

Standard (1 pt/25 yd, +4 TD/-2 INT)
1. Rodgers - 23.8
2. Ryan - 21.9
3. Brees - 21.2
4. Brady - 21.2
5. Luck - 21.2
---Average = 21.86---
15. Rivers - 17.2
16. Wilson - 17.1
17. Winston - 16.7
18. Kaepernick - 16.5
19. Dalton - 16.4
---Average = 16.78---
****Delta = 5.08****

This scoring system makes the top-5 QBs score, on average, ~1.5 fppg more than QBs 15-19. This would obviously be exaggerated if the +/- was increased to 0.5.

This isn't a fool-proof way of increasing the value of QBs, but it is one way of increasing the disparity between the top scorers and the QBs that typically are found in the streaming pool in most re-draft leagues.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm

QBmod2.JPG
QBmod2.JPG (117.18 KiB) Viewed 362 times
here one of my modified attempts to adjust QB scoring... QB-mod you can see Ryan, Brees, Rodgers are the only guys above 350 points... someone like Cam Newton is worthless. it defiantly makes bad QBs not wanted like Bortles Siemian and Taylor. i think if i worked on it a bit more i could figure something out but it's hard and i dont like doing math... note: i did not take into account any rushing/receiving stats
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

apbohannon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby apbohannon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 pm

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am Okay, differentiating good QB play from poor play is a more specific topic than just increasing the value of QBs. One simple thing that can be done is to change the scoring. Part of what is considered standard scoring is 4 pts/TD and -1 or -2 for interceptions. You could consider going to 6 pts/TD and -3 for Ints.

The better fantasy sites have several other scoring options. A word of caution here, though. The more complicated the scoring system gets, the more difficultly the league owners are going to experience finding relevant articles and compiling stats.
A better title would have been adding value to quality QB's. I think something like quality starts would add points to the position overall, but only for good performances. I think this helps add value to efficient QB's. Based on mist traditional scoring systems, a guy like Aaron Rodgers might pass for 250 yds and 2 Tds on 18/24 passing, but he would get outscored by someone who throws 300 yds 3 TDs 2 INt on 22/35 passes. Rodgers was more efficient and likely gamescripted him out of bigger stats, whereas the second stat line is more likely to result from a team needing the QB to pass more.

I like a few of the other ideas for playing around with the completion percentage scoring to get a desired differentiation; that's something I'll have to play around with.
Team 1:
12 Teams, PPR

Team 2:
12 Teams, PPR, SF