Nothing to see here
46%

Total votes: 84

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

ASJ: Restart the hype train??

Postby _yeti » Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am

(Rotoworld) Austin Seferian-Jenkins has dropped 25 pounds this offseason. Analysis: Seferian-Jenkins' weight peaked in the mid-280s last season but now he's down to 260. His offseason regiment included hot pilates and working out up to three times a day with a Las Vegas fitness expert. ASJ's career bottomed out last year after his September DUI arrest and subsequent release from Tampa Bay, but it looks like he's fully recommitted himself heading into his contract year. He'll begin the season serving a two-game suspension.
The physical tools have never been the problem for ASJ and it's a position notorious for taking long to break out. If his head is on straight and with all the shiny new TEs entering the league, could this be a buy super low opportunity?
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: ASJ: Restart the hype train??

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 am

I have to admit _yeti, after reading that blurb this morning I went ahead and added him to my watch list. I had him on my roster last season and ended up cutting him to grab Tyler Lockett off the wire.

There's no free-agency until after our draft in August, but I figured, "Why not take a look and see what happens?" Even in what predicts to be a pretty poor offense, if motivated and dedicated ASJ still has potential. He's cheap, and if he's turned the corner mentally his value could certainly see a substantial spike. Could do a lot worse for the cost.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 am

He's still on the team that targeted the TE the least for the past like 3 or 4 years, gonna take a pass
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 am He's still on the team that targeted the TE the least for the past like 3 or 4 years, gonna take a pass
But who did they have to target?

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

CharlieKelly
Starter
Starter

Postby CharlieKelly » Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 am

_yeti wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 am
StableOfRBs wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 am He's still on the team that targeted the TE the least for the past like 3 or 4 years, gonna take a pass
They also have a new OC.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 am

Well ASJ for about half the year, nobody really in 2015 and Jace Amaro in 2014 and they still don't have a QB

Also even when ASJ was in TB he only ever had one game with more than 60 yards, just not sold on his talent, situation aside
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun May 28, 2017 11:31 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 am
Well ASJ for about half the year, nobody really in 2015 and Jace Amaro in 2014 and they still don't have a QB

Also even when ASJ was in TB he only ever had one game with more than 60 yards, just not sold on his talent, situation aside
His talent or his production? That's his prior production. Also, he's super cheap because of the reason he didn't produce, hence "restart the hype?" Talent wise he won the Mackey award in college, was good enough to play D1 in bball (and did as a freshman), has good hands and good feet, went for 146/1840/21 in college, put up 22 reps in the bench which isn't bad for a receiving TE.

He got a DUI in college and then another that got him cut and was called out in the media by the coaching staff in Tampa for not applying himself. That is why I am saying that if his head is on straight and he has had some time to learn the system now with NYJ he could make a turnaround. I'm of the opinion that he does have the talent but maybe not the dedication.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun May 28, 2017 11:34 am

I agree in its not the talent, but the mental aspect. He should be free or close to, so i could see taking a shot if you have the roster spot. TE can be a crap shoot from year to year.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun May 28, 2017 12:18 pm

CharlieKelly wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 am
They also have a new OC.
Yep. I'd have no interest at all in any Jets TE if Gailey was still there, but I think there will be substantially more TE opportunity in the system that Morton wants to run.

To me it'd ironic that this post is made today, as just last night I went through all my deeper leagues and picked up ASJ (and Leggett in some spots) where he was available. I'm talking about leagues with 30+ off-season roster spots , but I'll admit I'm again somewhat intrigued here. I wouldn't drop anyone I actually liked to pick him up right now, but if you have a free roster spot I think it may be worth stashing him and seeing if the training camp hype train leaves the station.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Their QBs stink and they'll need to help them out with some TE outlets. He's still a gamble but I like him as my backup/third string in my TE premium. (team 2)

It makes no difference he's missing the first two weeks. Leggett won't come shooting out of the gates and take the reins.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sun May 28, 2017 3:18 pm

with the departure of their big bodied redzone target there is opportunity for him. there isn't a clear 2nd receiving option on that team right now.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 pm

thebeast wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:18 pm with the departure of their big bodied redzone target there is opportunity for him. there isn't a clear 2nd receiving option on that team right now.
C'mon now, don't sell Decker short, he's a solid 2nd receiving option.

Signed,
The conductor of the very short Enunwa hype train. :D
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 pm
thebeast wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:18 pm with the departure of their big bodied redzone target there is opportunity for him. there isn't a clear 2nd receiving option on that team right now.
C'mon now, don't sell Decker short, he's a solid 2nd receiving option.

Signed,
The conductor of the very short Enunwa hype train. :D
True, what's the over under on Decker being in the Jets starting lineup week 1 of this season?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun May 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Conditioning isn't at the heart of ASJ's problem. His toxic, unprofessional, man-child personality is the problem.

As for the situation...

It's likely the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league this year, probably in the running for 1.1 in '18. McCown is a serviceable passer, but also a likely bet for injury this season once again because 1.) he'll be 38 when the season starts 2.) he's too willing to take sacks. Once he goes down, Petty and/or Hackenberg are comfortable bets to dismantle any semblance of a Jets passing attack.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sun May 28, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 28, 2017 6:11 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:03 pm Conditioning isn't at the heart of ASJ's problem. His toxic, unprofessional, man-child personality is the problem.
Agreed. ASJ has all the talent in the world, but he's a mental midget and doesn't play that hard on the field. Sure, he's the most talented TE on the Jets roster, but I don't think that goes far towards a "breakout."

He's not going to find a better opportunity to breakout than last year with Jameis Winston and Mike Evans. Too bad he blew that chance, and an UDFA TE reaped the rewards.