How often do trade calculators get used in your league(s)?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: How often do trade calculators get used in your league(s)?

Postby sloth8u » Thu May 25, 2017 5:47 am

im seeing them quite a bit throughout my leagues. i certainly think there's opportunity if you know how to make them work in your favor. you just need your partner to buy in to "that" aswell. i often times find that owners like to point to their calculator when the deal favors them in terms of commons sense, but favors me in their calc.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am

BuckeyeNation wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm
Anymore, with the FF/dynasty explosion and the widespread emergence of social media, Twitter has become a very popular tool in the arsenal of owners who seek confirmation on every move they make, and
it's gone a long way in replacing the use of trade calculators and ADP/rankings lists.
Funny...I just got told the other day I was way off on my value and the twitter poll results proved it. All the while I thought 'twitter isn't running the team but if they were they would suck so bad' . Maybe not worse than me but lots of the polls I see the results confuse me like I live in an alternate reality sometimes.

Maybe we should create an all twitter league and before team changes could be made twitter has to weigh in before any changes are made to a team whether add/drop trade or draft pick...starting lineups too I guess
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

I think they are getting better because dynasty leagues are becoming more the norm. Its easy enough to use adp to create some type of baseline value for players and picks. I use them as one piece of analysis. Personally I think it's just stupid to think I know everything so I look for as many inputs as possible and then make a decision (adp data, these forums, trade calculators, talk to others in my leagues, etc.).

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm

zero
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 pm

maxhyde wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am
BuckeyeNation wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm
Anymore, with the FF/dynasty explosion and the widespread emergence of social media, Twitter has become a very popular tool in the arsenal of owners who seek confirmation on every move they make, and
it's gone a long way in replacing the use of trade calculators and ADP/rankings lists.
Funny...I just got told the other day I was way off on my value and the twitter poll results proved it. All the while I thought 'twitter isn't running the team but if they were they would suck so bad' . Maybe not worse than me but lots of the polls I see the results confuse me like I live in an alternate reality sometimes.

Maybe we should create an all twitter league and before team changes could be made twitter has to weigh in before any changes are made to a team whether add/drop trade or draft pick...starting lineups too I guess
Yeah, this is starting to become more commonplace nowadays. Not saying I agree with Twitter results carrying much weight, but it is what it is.

These message boards have been the closet thing to social media that I use, but I did recently create a Twitter account solely for FF purposes. I've pot out a few polls on trades, but they've mostly been after the trade had been completed and I was just curious about public opinion.

Like anything else, people need to take Twitter polls with a grain of salt. You really have no idea how experienced the people are that are voting, plus you always have the people that just randomly click buttons or vote for the opposite side of a trade just out of spite. I think you need a Twitter poll to be overwhelmingly one sided to put any stock in it, and even then it's should only equate to a small percentage of the decision making process.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

You want to be on the winning side of a twitter poll take the picks...seem that is always the way
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am I think they are getting better because dynasty leagues are becoming more the norm. Its easy enough to use adp to create some type of baseline value for players and picks. I use them as one piece of analysis. Personally I think it's just stupid to think I know everything so I look for as many inputs as possible and then make a decision (adp data, these forums, trade calculators, talk to others in my leagues, etc.).
This^^^ for me. I use every resource that I can find, imo, it can only help me.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm This^^^ for me. I use every resource that I can find, imo, it can only help me.
An ignorant or misinformed opinion is more dangerous than no opinion. Following opinion of the masses can definitely hurt you, as the masses are generally not that well informed/don't care as much as, for instance, people on these message boards.

Adrian_Charlie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Adrian_Charlie » Fri May 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Trade Calculators are the bane of my existence in dynasty. They are used as the bible in both of my leagues. If it doesn't pass the FF tools calculator, guy won't be interested. Calculators do not factor in roster size, team needs, team construction. ADP changes weekly as well. I offered Shady for Jordy straight up a couple months back, dude clutched his pearls saying, "FF Tools tells me that the trade is 1000 points in your favor. You need to add more." Throw it in now? It's even. He's short on RBs, I'm short on WRs, thought it was fair at the time, still think it's fair. Oh well.
12 Team 0.5ppr (6pt TDs) Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, DST, K
QB: Alex Smith, Matt Ryan
RB: Henry, Coleman, Riddick, Dixon, I Smith, R Kelley, Jon Williams, Guice (RIP)
WR: K Allen, Tate, Crowder, DeSean Jackson, Martavis, R Grant, Ross
TE: D Walker, Doyle
Flex: Barber
K: Streamer
DST: BAL
2019 Picks: 1st Rd, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd

12 Team 0.5ppr (6pt TDs) Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, DST, K
QB: Brees, Dak
RB: L Miller, Jam Williams, Henry, A Jones, Abdullah, Barber, Jon Williams
WR: Julio, AJ Green, Hogan, Tate, Treadwell, Crabtree, DJ Moore, R Grant
TE: O.J. Howard
Flex: Amari
K: Streamer
DST: LAC
2019 Picks: 1st Rd, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd

Twitter - https://twitter.com/Adrian_Charlie

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Fri May 26, 2017 1:09 pm

If you play with anyone from r/DynastyFF, then there's a pretty good chance they at least reference the DynastyFFtools one when a trade is close.

All the grumbling about them here always makes me chuckle. They're a tool; they're not gospel. If you use it as gospel, you'll be laughed at. If you understand how to use it as a tool and how it works, then it can be a little useful to at least gauge an idea of value. Any one is free to disagree with the value output...aka the previously mentioned 7 for 1.

jonesmaster
Starter
Starter

Postby jonesmaster » Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm

As soon as i find out a player in my league is using these I immediately start inputting player combinations in order to take advantage. Not only do these calculators typically overvalue picks (especially early ones), but they give a false idea of equivalency on 3+ for 1 trades.
8-team SF / 0.5 PPR / TE (Full PPR) Scoring: 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2FLX, 1 SFLX, 1TE, 1D/ST, K (Only relevant players listed)

QB: Kyler , Dak , R. Wilson, Dimes, Kenny P
RB: AK , Mostert
WR: Godwin , Deebo , Dotson , Hollywood, Addison, E. Moore
TE: Andrews , Njoku, LaPorta, Washington, Mayer
D/ST: Bills / Philly

Picks : 2024: 3 firsts; 2025: 3 firsts; 2026: 4 firsts

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Fri May 26, 2017 4:43 pm

jonesmaster wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm As soon as i find out a player in my league is using these I immediately start inputting player combinations in order to take advantage. Not only do these calculators typically overvalue picks (especially early ones), but they give a false idea of equivalency on 3+ for 1 trades.
I keep hearing this but I don't see any examples of this. Isn't a stud generally regarded as being worth 3 1sts anyways? In any case there's only one trade calculator I've ever seen that I've trusted and I use it as a ballpark estimate of value. Applying common sense to a trade calculator makes it a wonderful tool.