Strategies For Determining Starters

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Btj0016
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Strategies For Determining Starters

Postby Btj0016 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:29 am

I know this is a hit and miss subject but I was wondering what strategies you guys use that has consistently worked at a successful rate when determining who to put in your starting lineup weekly? Also are there any analytic systems out there that have been consistently successful in determining who to start that you have seen work? I know that looking at matchups is important but many times it can steer you in the wrong direction if you over analyze. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Strategies For Determining Starters

Postby skip » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am

I think you're over-thinking this. Start your best players. It's not any more complicated than that.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue May 23, 2017 8:49 am

Btj0016 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:29 am are there any analytic systems out there that have been consistently successful in determining who to start that you have seen work?
I don't know any that have tested and demonstrated success. My advice is to use a set of published rankings to help you with close calls. We at DLF tend to use 4for4.com.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am

I agree that rankings are a good way of choosing between two close options. But like Skip said, just start your best players and hope they produce. Another tie breaker would be picking the player who's averaging more points per game.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 am

With the content and research done by the DFS community, especially involving CB/WR matchups, I think it's getting easier to bench your studs for guys with better opportunities. The advice "start your studs" is so historic to me. Unless your roster is completely loaded with studs then I guess go ahead, but otherwise, when it comes to the lesser players, I pay a lot of attention to 4x4, Scott Barrett and John Proctor, Adam Levitan and the rest of the DFS guys, and also Mike Clay's WRvsCB matchups.

Brandin Cooks for example, was very predictable last season IMO. Yet nobody would suggest benching him for say Cameron Meredith on any given week, yet that would have paid off a couple times. Follow rankings, pay attention to splits/matchups, and trust your gut.

I strongly suggest DFS content though, with the caveat that they're searching for "value", and lineup building. But their content and statistics are top notch regardless, and it'll educate you tremendously on matchups and what certain QB's are doing. For example, Brian Hoyer locks into the right side of the field. Regardless of who the Bears R-WR was, they were getting peppered with targets. As soon as Kevin White went down, Meredith was an auto start and he crushed it for 2 weeks before fading until he moved to the slot and became relevant again.

Same with Robby Anderson near the end. You can fade a lot of those "WR 2's" for some flyer options like a Robby when you across good data.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am

What works best for me is just own a bunch of studs at every position, then you can still "pick" the wrong one, but usually end up winning still....yay! Lol
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am

Coogan Football wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am What works best for me is just own a bunch of studs at every position, then you can still "pick" the wrong one, but usually end up winning still....yay! Lol
Easy when you were in a league full of bums for years.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 am

ImaRounder wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am
Coogan Football wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am What works best for me is just own a bunch of studs at every position, then you can still "pick" the wrong one, but usually end up winning still....yay! Lol
Easy when you were in a league full of bums for years.
And now I'm trying to "spread the wealth" to you and you don't want it!
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

sms
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sms » Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Where do you go specifically to read the DFS community literature? I would like to read about the types of items you just mentioned. I think the WR/CB stuff along with that breakdown of Hoyer would be the kind of analytics that could put a team in a favorable position.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

I've tried to be cute before and it burns you most of the time, benched arob and kelce in my final last year (in the previous 5weeks ertz was the highest averaging te so went with him and around was not scoring well) would have won otherwise. I know its not what people want to hear but..... Start your studs lol

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:06 pm

sms wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm Where do you go specifically to read the DFS community literature? I would like to read about the types of items you just mentioned. I think the WR/CB stuff along with that breakdown of Hoyer would be the kind of analytics that could put a team in a favorable position.
Follow @JohnProctorDFS, @ScottBarrettDFB, @adamlevitan, to name a few.

Also check out the DFS Edge podcast (@thedfsedge).

Mike Clay releases his matchups on ESPN Insider so subscription required.

sms
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sms » Tue May 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:06 pm
sms wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm Where do you go specifically to read the DFS community literature? I would like to read about the types of items you just mentioned. I think the WR/CB stuff along with that breakdown of Hoyer would be the kind of analytics that could put a team in a favorable position.
Follow @JohnProctorDFS, @ScottBarrettDFB, @adamlevitan, to name a few.

Also check out the DFS Edge podcast (@thedfsedge).

Mike Clay releases his matchups on ESPN Insider so subscription required.
Thank you

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Wed May 24, 2017 12:18 am

If a defense is getting lit up like Carolina, I'll start a 2nd tier player over a stud that might be facing Den, KC or Texans which marginalized plenty of studs. If I feel a game will be high scoring like NO, ATL, NE games then I may start a opposing teams WR because I feel good about my guys odds to get increased targets.

I hate the idea of feeling like I'm forced to start any player weekly. Especially if I have decent depth or a strong feeling. But I can't fault anyone for riding their studs through any situation.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 am

start your best players, use matchups/injuries as tie breakers
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 am

WR vs CB matchups have worked in the past, especially if you look at IDP stats. Obviously if a pass defense is struggling or got hit with injuries, it can help a WR here and there until their defensive lineups change again. So by checking a teams injury report, especially on defense, that can help in some ways determine how well a WR may play against that defense.

When looking at D/ST, they are usually ranked mid season and sometimes when trying to choose which RB to use, I would go back and lineup a defense with the past 6 RB's that that defense played up against and check their stats.
If you really wanted to get technical, you could follow offensive lines and their rankings.

www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-al ... is-season/

as well as the run defense or opponent rushing yards per game allowed.

www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent- ... s-per-game

I would still make sure to start your stud players over 2nd string backs though, unless you're feeling lucky.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon