Strategies For Determining Starters

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Strategies For Determining Starters

Postby moishetreats » Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am

More important to me as a question than, "Do I start stud or match-up guy?" is "What is your philosophy with your starting lineup?"

Are you looking to go for the lineup that has the highest upside?
Are you looking to go for the lineup that has the most reliable and consistent production?
Are you looking to go for the lineup that has the highest floor?

Are you looking to mix-and-match? Say get the most reliable and consistent production out of your QB, TE, RB1, and RB2 while going for upside with RB2 and WR3, and floor with WR2?

Do you draft your players according to your lineup philosophy, or do you create a lineup philosophy based on your players?
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

brooklynkid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby brooklynkid » Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am More important to me as a question than, "Do I start stud or match-up guy?" is "What is your philosophy with your starting lineup?"

Are you looking to go for the lineup that has the most reliable and consistent production?

Are you looking to mix-and-match? Say get the most reliable and consistent production out of your QB, TE, RB1, and RB2 while going for upside with RB2 and WR3, and floor with WR2?

Do you draft your players according to your lineup philosophy, or do you create a lineup philosophy based on your players?
Good Post! anyways like many have said Start your studs don't try and get cute unless you have to. The main thing is you want to have team that has reliable Starters so you won't have to reach. I'm not going to lie i start my best lineups when i have injuries and i just have to throw someone in there. Normally when I Draft i already have an idea of what i want my starting lineup to look like.
14 Team PPR League 6pts all TDs 1.5 PPR TE
Start QB 2RB 2WR 2Flex 1TE 1K 28 Man Active Roster
QB-Carr, Palmer, Stanton, Gabbert
RB- Ingram, Coleman, Montgomery, West, Smallwood, K. Bibbs, R.Smith, Marshall
WR-A. Brown, Crowder, Maclin, Aiken, Britt, Ginn, Conley, Kupp(R), Coleman, Wallace, T. Mcbride, J. Hunter
TE-Graham, Rudolph,
TS-Joshua Dobbs, Brian Hill, James Connor, Chad Hansen

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed May 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Love hearing everyone's strategy's for this, do check though with top dbs against top wrs. Alot of them will only shadow for half a game worth of snaps as the wr moves around. I do like that when your dealing with your wr2-3 but if you have julio AJ green (insert stud name) I've found they get theirs pretty much every game. I'll be trying to db matchup a bit more this year and might remember to come back and comment on it's success/failure (although failure will probably be because if my lack of knowledge on which db to avoid)

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dr.Graffin » Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Certainly not an exact science, but most importantly you never want to beat yourself when it comes to fantasy football lineup calls. Don't try and be too cute when you're setting a lineup. For example, you didn't trade away two future first round picks for a player so they would sit on your bench Week 1 with no injury concerns. Investment into players matters to a certain degree unless they've proven themselves to be a bum after a certain point in the season. No reason to throw good money after bad. Know when to say when.

Usually I try to roll with my best players, and/or who is hot at the moment factoring in matchups to some degree. Of course I look over the weekly rankings from a few different sites for reference. Whatever calls you make just make sure there's rationale behind it and hope for the best.
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, D. Wicks, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Love, J. Herbert
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Singletary, D. Pierce
WR: D. J. Moore, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, T. Higgins, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo, J. Woods
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 am

moishetreats wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am
I like to take a look at my opponents lineup and their match-ups as well. If they are a stacked team and I look like an underdog on paper, I may throw in a swing for the fences starter and hope for a hit. If I am against an underdog I may just go with the more consistent guy who has a tougher match-up, ie... higher floor.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."