Martellus Bennett - Why No Hype?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Martellus Bennett - Why No Hype?

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon May 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there hasn't been much discussion recently about Martellus Bennett, whether it's on DLF forums or Twitter or fantasy sites in general. GB made a rare splash in free agency signing him, but it seems to be mostly ignored with all the news about this talented rookie class of TEs.

Over the last three seasons, Rodgers has averaged 567 pass attempts, 4,210 yards, and 36 TDs per year. Assuming that Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, and Randall Cobb are all healthy and keep seeing the same share of targets, Bennett is still going to see plenty of open space in the middle of the field and projects to be the no. 2 red zone target for Rodgers after Nelson. Last year in NE, he put up 55/701/7 despite playing through a high ankle sprain for much of the season.

Last year in GB, Jared Cook and Richard Rodgers combined for 60/648/3. While GB has not had an every-down starting TE the last few years, they haven't had any TEs even close to the caliber of talent of Bennett. I would expect him to be the starter and play 70-80% of snaps, although I'm sure Richard Rodgers will still factor in. Right now I'm projecting Bennett for about 50/800/8, and I don't think it's that far-fetched.

I currently have Bennett ranked as the TE5 in redraft this year behind Rob Gronkowski, Jordan Reed, Travis Kelce, and Greg Olsen. I also have him ranked as the TE6 in dynasty (Tyler Eifert beats him out slightly due to the gap in age). Bennett is only 30 years old, and he's signed through 2019 with GB with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. That's 2-3 years of relatively stable production in a high-octane offense, and his May DLF start-up mock draft ADP is pretty late at 115 overall. I would take him 2-3 rounds earlier in a start-up around an ADP of 75-85, and I would happily pay a late 1st rookie draft pick for him if I'm a contender looking for an upgrade at TE.

What does everyone think about Bennett / how you value him in terms of dynasty ranks/rookie draft pick value? Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'll drive the Bennett hype train to championships or off a cliff. I'm buying him anywhere I can.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Martellus Bennett - Why No Hype?

Postby spotxc » Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I agree with you in that's he is being undervalued. I think that's a good thing, for us who believe in that. Best te they've had there in years abs should get some nice opportunity with one of the best qbs/offenses in the game

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 pm

I agree with your post, as well. Just one note: Lance Kendricks, not Richard Rodgers, is their #2TE. Bennett should still play nearly full time, though, since GB will likely be employing the two-TE package that they love but haven't been able to utilize for a while.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon May 22, 2017 12:44 pm

moishetreats wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 pm I agree with your post, as well. Just one note: Lance Kendricks, not Richard Rodgers, is their #2TE. Bennett should still play nearly full time, though, since GB will likely be employing the two-TE package that they love but haven't been able to utilize for a while.
Is he though? GB signed Kendricks to a two-year contract, but it essentially boils down to a one-year prove-it deal / Bennett insurance. I'm of the opinion that Kendricks' 2016 production was more the outlier than the norm, and I could see Richard Rodgers playing more snaps than Kendricks this season when it's all said and done, especially as Rodgers is a better blocker.
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

It's going to seem a bit unfair, but I think part of the "bias" against Bennett may be his inability to stay on one team. He's now going to be with his 5th team since entering the league and despite it being the Packers, I have to think that there is something at play that has never allowed him to stick anywhere. He's a guy who will likely always perform better than he is perceived. I don't know as I have ever given him a second look when I'm drafting or trying to fill a need at the position. I probably SHOULD but I don't. He's kind of flown under the radar for so long that it's hard to envision a lot of "hype" taking place despite his new team.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon May 22, 2017 2:00 pm

skip wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm It's going to seem a bit unfair, but I think part of the "bias" against Bennett may be his inability to stay on one team. He's now going to be with his 5th team since entering the league and despite it being the Packers, I have to think that there is something at play that has never allowed him to stick anywhere. He's a guy who will likely always perform better than he is perceived. I don't know as I have ever given him a second look when I'm drafting or trying to fill a need at the position. I probably SHOULD but I don't. He's kind of flown under the radar for so long that it's hard to envision a lot of "hype" taking place despite his new team.
This is a great point.
While I am an advocate of Bennett and what he can bring to a team it is odd that even when he has found success when healthy the team inevitably moves on from him as their top TE option
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon May 22, 2017 2:33 pm

maxhyde wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:00 pm
skip wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm It's going to seem a bit unfair, but I think part of the "bias" against Bennett may be his inability to stay on one team. He's now going to be with his 5th team since entering the league and despite it being the Packers, I have to think that there is something at play that has never allowed him to stick anywhere. He's a guy who will likely always perform better than he is perceived. I don't know as I have ever given him a second look when I'm drafting or trying to fill a need at the position. I probably SHOULD but I don't. He's kind of flown under the radar for so long that it's hard to envision a lot of "hype" taking place despite his new team.
This is a great point.
While I am an advocate of Bennett and what he can bring to a team it is odd that even when he has found success when healthy the team inevitably moves on from him as their top TE option
It's because the Black Unicorn can be a quirky guy PR-wise. Just read the interview of the Bennett brothers or follow him on Twitter. This doesn't concern me though. I doubt Rodgers/McCarthy will care what Bennett says off the field as long as he's putting in the work and producing on the field.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm

I think it's the opposite. He HAS been hyped most of his career, and he has generally under delivered. He had one real standout year in 2014, and other than that his career performance hadn't been that different than Jared Cook's heading into last year.

On top of that, in spite of the notion that Green Bay is some dream situation, it really hasn't been for TEs. All these years trying to get our hands on the GB tight end without a lot to show for it when we do. And the receiving core is more crowded than it's ever been right now. Bennett is a guy who's on his 5th team and will likely be no better than the #4 receiving option on that team. There are a lot of numbers to go around in Green Bay but he's well down the totem poll. In that sense I think his upside is somewhat capped, despite playing with Rodgers.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:44 pm
moishetreats wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 pm I agree with your post, as well. Just one note: Lance Kendricks, not Richard Rodgers, is their #2TE. Bennett should still play nearly full time, though, since GB will likely be employing the two-TE package that they love but haven't been able to utilize for a while.
Is he though? GB signed Kendricks to a two-year contract, but it essentially boils down to a one-year prove-it deal / Bennett insurance. I'm of the opinion that Kendricks' 2016 production was more the outlier than the norm, and I could see Richard Rodgers playing more snaps than Kendricks this season when it's all said and done, especially as Rodgers is a better blocker.
Yes, he is. Rodgers is a solid blocker and has excellent hands. But, he can't stretch a defense and negligible YAC. While, statistically, Kendricks might have better stats than Rodgers would, Kendricks can run the seam and stretch the defense, putting much more pressure on the DBs. That's the point of signing him.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon May 22, 2017 6:35 pm

I think it comes down to the fact that there is less to dispute. Hype is reserved for those who haven't been or might not ever be. Bennett is someone who in my opinion has underachieved on his talent while still being a semi-reliable option. We know what to expect and there is less to debate. We know he is getting up there in age, has the goods physically, is a veteran who can transition to a new system and succeed, and is now in a great position. There's no one to argue he will "bust" so it's just a matter of debating a difference of a few slots in rankings so you see less hype or debate.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm

I agree with the above. Bennett has likely maxed out. Even though he's in a great situation, it's hard to see a huge jump in production with GB's talent at WR. As far as his contract goes, it could be a one year deal. GB would save $4M by cutting him next offseason.

In terms of dynasty value at the TE position:

1. Gronk
2. Kelce
3. Reed
4. Olsen
5. Eifert
6. Ertz
7. Ebron
8. Henry
9. Howard

---

Bennett doesn't really rank that high for me. If I had to go further, I'd say he's around TE 13-15? Somewhere in the Dennis Pitta/Delanie Walker area.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm

I turned down him for my 2.01, even though i am in dire need of a TE. Rather draft one at that spot or stream.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Mon May 22, 2017 11:44 pm

I think Bennett is a good player, but I don't know if he will consistently produce in that offense. It could be because Rodgers have never had a TE of Bennett'a caliber before, but it doesn't seem to be the most TE-friendly offense. Add the fact that Bennett is a very good blocker and it's possible that that's kind of the main role Bennett falls into. Don't get me wrong, he's not going to be horrible, but I'm tempering expectations a bit.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 am

No hype because he is not a fantasy difference maker at the TE position who will receive consistent volume and have large TD upside. He is in that big range of TEs after the top tier who are easily replaceable. There is little difference between the TE7 and TE17 and Bennett, along with a lot of other players, could end up near either end.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 am

Yeah for my teams and especially in TE premium I feel safer with Witten at TE than Bennett most weeks most seasons.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams