Martellus Bennett - Why No Hype?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Martellus Bennett - Why No Hype?

Postby Jfever » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm I agree with the above. Bennett has likely maxed out. Even though he's in a great situation, it's hard to see a huge jump in production with GB's talent at WR. As far as his contract goes, it could be a one year deal. GB would save $4M by cutting him next offseason.

In terms of dynasty value at the TE position:

1. Gronk
2. Kelce
3. Reed
4. Olsen
5. Eifert
6. Ertz
7. Ebron
8. Henry
9. Howard

---

Bennett doesn't really rank that high for me. If I had to go further, I'd say he's around TE 13-15? Somewhere in the Dennis Pitta/Delanie Walker area.
Wow. I'd say you are dismissing value and ignoring production in favor of potential production that may never come. But... that 's me. I do find it odd that you didn't list Kyle Rudolph. He is 27, on a team that is devoid of a #1 wr, has Sam Bradford as his qb, and is coming off of a season in which he posted 83rec, 840yds 7tds 132 targets. Seems odd to me to say the least, but... so does much of the thinking in the posts ignoring Bennett's production. Bennett is a TE1 in fantasy. He shouldn't be ignored or ranked at 13-15. That is nuts.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 am

I think he is ignored because it's GB. Until I see a TE actually provide real value in that offense, I can't buy him as a reliable TE1. Plus, Bennett notoriously starts strong and ends weak. Even during his career best 2014 season, he really struggled to provide value after week 4. 7 of his remaining 12 games he scored less than 10 points in ppr. 4 of his 6 TDs that season came from his first 3 games.

Lastly, I think everyone realize how crowded that receiving core is. Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Montgomery... add in Allison on some plays.... it's ugly.
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joshb » Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 am

For a good comparison to what Bennett can/could accomplish in this offense we can look at the production of Jared Cook and Jermichael Finley.

Jared Cook- 10 games, 377 yards, 1 td. Not terribly impressive, as this would only be around 603 yards and 2 td's over the course of a full season. If you include his production in the playoffs and average it out, it's closer to 745 yards and 4 td's.

Jermichael Finley-

2009- 13 games, 676 yards, 5 td's.
2010- 5 games, 301 yards, 1 td
2011 (best season)- 16 games, 767 yards, 8 td's
2012- 16 games, 667 yards, 2 td's
2013- 6 games, 300 yards, 3 td's

During their time in GB both Finley and Cook averaged a little shy of 50 yards per game. Touchdowns are hard to predict, but for Bennett the best case scenario would probably be 8, which was achieved by Finley only during Rodgers' first MVP season.
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 am

joshb wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 am For a good comparison to what Bennett can/could accomplish in this offense we can look at the production of Jared Cook and Jermichael Finley.

Jared Cook- 10 games, 377 yards, 1 td. Not terribly impressive, as this would only be around 603 yards and 2 td's over the course of a full season. If you include his production in the playoffs and average it out, it's closer to 745 yards and 4 td's.

Jermichael Finley-

2009- 13 games, 676 yards, 5 td's.
2010- 5 games, 301 yards, 1 td
2011 (best season)- 16 games, 767 yards, 8 td's
2012- 16 games, 667 yards, 2 td's
2013- 6 games, 300 yards, 3 td's

During their time in GB both Finley and Cook averaged a little shy of 50 yards per game. Touchdowns are hard to predict, but for Bennett the best case scenario would probably be 8, which was achieved by Finley only during Rodgers' first MVP season.
I think the Finley comparison kind of nailed the issue. 767 yards and 8 TDs as a career best in a season where Green Bay threw for 5100 yards and 51 TDs with slightly less WR competition than they have now (Cobb generally gets more targets than James Jones did as the WR3 on the team that year).

Finley was the 3rd option on a team that threw for 5100 yards and 51 TDs and put up 767/8. Bennett will probably be the 4th option on a team that will probably throw for less than that (Rodgers has never matched those numbers again).

I think Bennett is basically a low upside but steady mid-low TE1, and I think that's fairly proportional to where he's being drafted and the amount of hype he's getting.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

He lacks consistency .. always has..
@PlankMelody

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm I think it's the opposite. He HAS been hyped most of his career, and he has generally under delivered. He had one real standout year in 2014, and other than that his career performance hadn't been that different than Jared Cook's heading into last year.

On top of that, in spite of the notion that Green Bay is some dream situation, it really hasn't been for TEs. All these years trying to get our hands on the GB tight end without a lot to show for it when we do. And the receiving core is more crowded than it's ever been right now. Bennett is a guy who's on his 5th team and will likely be no better than the #4 receiving option on that team. There are a lot of numbers to go around in Green Bay but he's well down the totem poll. In that sense I think his upside is somewhat capped, despite playing with Rodgers.

This is ridiculous. Cook has had one season over 700 yards and one season with more then 4 TDs. His last two seasons had 300 and 400 receiving yards each with a whopping one total TD over his last 2 seasons combined. Bennett has had 3 seasons over 700 yards and 4 seasons over 4 TDs. Only reason he doesn't have more is because he played behind Witten for four years.

I would love for someone to find me how many TEs there are that were more productive then Bennett the last 5 seasons. The list is very small. Saying he has underperformed just is not accurate.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)