2017 Running Back Report

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2017 Running Back Report

Postby Balzac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 am

JFever wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 pm Maclin is severely undervalued by many. I recently offered him straight up for M.Lynch and was declined. Lynch was his clear cut #4 or 5 rb. He could have used a boost at his #3 wr. Maclin was behind my Julio,AJG,B.Cooks,Jordy starting line up. He just needs a couple good to decent games to remind the fantasy community that he can put up wr 2-3 type #'s
I like when people try to use a trade they were rejected on to try and justify how underrated their guy is. Maclin is a good football player but his value is in the tank because of situation. Foreman>Maclin should be how they are valued. If Maclin was still on Philly with DeSaun next to him then ya he would be elite, but he has been passed around and Baltimore isnt a place for WRs to "emerge".
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 am ...he manages to evade defenders just the same. I enjoy watching him run.
Maybe it's partially the defenders evading him

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 am ...he manages to evade defenders just the same. I enjoy watching him run.
That'd be a bold strategy

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 am

He will be the bellcow starter week 1 next season. Miller will be cut.

Won't surprise me when he starts winning leagues in weeks 13-16.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am
I heard it said of Peterson once (defenders scramble to get out of his way) and I just had to laugh. I wish I could find that quote but searching for it to no avail.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am

I heard it said of Peterson once (defenders scramble to get out of his way) and I just had to laugh. I wish I could find that quote but searching for it to no avail.
Reminds me of when I first heard the expression "business decision" to describe a defender avoiding taking on the runner directly (or at all)...

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am

Balzac wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 am
JFever wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 pm Maclin is severely undervalued by many. I recently offered him straight up for M.Lynch and was declined. Lynch was his clear cut #4 or 5 rb. He could have used a boost at his #3 wr. Maclin was behind my Julio,AJG,B.Cooks,Jordy starting line up. He just needs a couple good to decent games to remind the fantasy community that he can put up wr 2-3 type #'s
I like when people try to use a trade they were rejected on to try and justify how underrated their guy is. Maclin is a good football player but his value is in the tank because of situation. Foreman>Maclin should be how they are valued. If Maclin was still on Philly with DeSaun next to him then ya he would be elite, but he has been passed around and Baltimore isnt a place for WRs to "emerge".
I like when people ignore the point of a post and quote it then spin it. I'm very aware of Maclin's role and.... his situation as the #1 target on the passing side of the Baltimore offense isn't a "bad" situation for what Maclin would be to most of our line ups. He is a GREAT wr 4, a decent wr3, and an absolute luxury as a bench / depth guy. THE point wasn't Maclin at all. Rather, the point was rb value and specifically from my post, M.Lynch's value. If you honestly think that Marshawn Lynch's dynasty value is the same as or greater than Maclin's, I'd say you have a screw loose. I never mentioned Foreman.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

mclilj
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mclilj » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

JFever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am
I like when people ignore the point of a post and quote it then spin it. I'm very aware of Maclin's role and.... his situation as the #1 target on the passing side of the Baltimore offense isn't a "bad" situation for what Maclin would be to most of our line ups. He is a GREAT wr 4, a decent wr3, and an absolute luxury as a bench / depth guy. THE point wasn't Maclin at all. Rather, the point was rb value and specifically from my post, M.Lynch's value. If you honestly think that Marshawn Lynch's dynasty value is the same as or greater than Maclin's, I'd say you have a screw loose. I never mentioned Foreman.
Neither player is particularly desirable in dynasty but for this season at least Marshawn is a viable starter at RB so give me him. I imagine most people would agree. I think you're beating a dead horse, their difference in value is incredibly nominal. I'd roster Marshawn not Maclin though.
Team 1:
2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3RWT 0PPR 8Teams
QBs: Brady, Wentz, Prescott, Trubisky
RBs: Gurley, Cook, Lindsay, Henry, Lewis, Hyde, Murray
WRs: Hill, Cooper, ARobinson, Sutton, Fitzgerald, TSmith(NO), Parker, Cain
TEs: Kelce, Burton, Engram
Def: Rams
K:
2019 Picks 3, 4
2020 Picks: 3, 3, 4

Team 2:
2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2WRT 1PPR 8TEAMS
QBs: Mahomes, Wentz, Lock, Carr, Mariota
WRs: MThomas, DAdams, ACooper, OBJ, Kupp, RAnderson, Renfro, Shepherd, Agholor, JMeyers
RBs: Mixon, Henry, Drake, JK Dobbins, Akers, Howard, McKinnon, Hyde, Pollard, DThompson
TEs: Waller, Engram, Graham, Eifert
K: Zeurlein
2020 Picks: 1.06 (JK Dobbins) acquired 1.09 OTC (Akers) 14 overall, 17 overall
2021 Picks: 2nd, 3rd

Mr.Winitall
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Mr.Winitall » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

mclilj wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

Neither player is particularly desirable in dynasty but for this season at least Marshawn is a viable starter at RB so give me him. I imagine most people would agree. I think you're beating a dead horse, their difference in value is incredibly nominal. I'd roster Marshawn not Maclin though.
Their difference in value is about 40 slots in the dlf rankings. Not really nominal imo.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm

To each their own if you'd like to roster M.Lynch over J.Maclin. We are however, just so we are clear, discussing DYNASTY football, not a redraft league. The ADP and current rankings would completely contradict what you posted about player value. Seems to me like you may want to look things up from time to time. That information is accessible if you do a little clicking around.

As far as either player (Lynch or Maclin) being desirable. That is all relative and contingent on where your team is, at and how your roster is constructed, how big is your league, scoring, roster size, etc. I'll be clear and to the point. With Maclin, even his heaviest critics would likely agree, that he plays in the NFL for 2-3 more seasons or so as it is realistic. He'll never give you true wr1 production. He will however likely give you decent wr 3-4 and at times wr2 type games over the span of his remaining few years in the league. His situation in Baltimore is an improvement over his situation in KC so.... not sure why one would say his value is low because of his situation. He is clearly the #1 red-zone passing option. He is 29 years old so maybe we see his production slide a smidge to the wr3 -wr4ish type levels in the next couple - few years he plays. None the less, he has a role, he will score fantasy points, and, more importantly, he likely is in the league one or even two calendar years from today. Who is confident that Marshawn Lynch plays in the NFL at a fantasy productive rate in 2018 or 2019. NOT frickin me, that's for sure.

So far through 2 full games, Maclin has outscored Lynch. Both of these two players seem to be a bit TD dependent so far. I'd expect at the end of the 2017 season, Maclin outscores lynch though, particularly in ppr leagues. I'd also feel safe in assuming that in 2018, Maclin outscores Lynch in a landslide. I could care less about personal feelings and personal valuations of players. We all have players we like and don't like for that matter. But, lets try to base those evaluations on fact. Facts are that Maclin is a wr. Wr tend to play longer that rb, Maclin is 29 and Lynch is 31. If we are looking at points, Maclin has out scored Lynch thus far in two games - a trend that, imo, is likely to continue. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong... But- Who else is going to catch passes from Flaaco? Oakland's team is not built around the running game, although they do have a strong O-line, rather, it is D.Carr's team as they pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

I tried to acquire Lynch with the slight over pay of an offer (value wise, age wise, ADP wise ) - purely based off of the zero available rb talent in that league & because I wanted and thought I could afford rb depth - and my potential trade partner needed or could have used startable wr help, and an improvement over his current #3 wr. Lynch would have become my 4th or 5th rb and some depth insurance, J.Maclin would have been a nice production addition and would have or should have started for my trade partner. Maclin is my #5 wr on that team. He is who he is. I'm defending him, not because I'm in love with him, nor is he a central piece to my team, rather, I'm defending him purely based on common sense. Again, I never brought up anything to do with D.Foreman, so not sure why that was commented on in the post above, but.... Man it is quite obvious that based on production for a fantasy line up alone; J.Maclin is severely undervalued on these forums. And, if that trade would have went through my potential trade partner would have beat me in week #2's match up. He politely declined with a brief explanation as to why, which I respect, and....then I thanked him for getting back to me and for his explanation, then I beat him.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 am

Okay, okay I'll trade you Lynch for Maclin! :mrgreen:

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 am

Your post was in response to another poster comparing Maclin to Foreman, so even though you didn't say his name it was relevant....also this is a Foreman thread so if that wasn't your intent you may want to keep your off topic posts in the Maclin thread.

I don't see why Lynch's value wouldn't be roughly the same or greater than Maclin's. Your own words describe Maclin as a WR3/4. I would rather have 1-2 years of Lynch's RB1/2 production all day everyday.

Not specifically to you but anyone that is trying to use ADP as an end all be all, should really rethink that. ADP can drastically change overnight, so to act like it means a hell of a lot when we are talking players like the above, is silly. Maclin=Lynch and I would bet that a solid majority prefer Lynch.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

JFever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm To each their own if you'd like to roster M.Lynch over J.Maclin. We are however, just so we are clear, discussing DYNASTY football, not a redraft league. The ADP and current rankings would completely contradict what you posted about player value. Seems to me like you may want to look things up from time to time. That information is accessible if you do a little clicking around.

As far as either player (Lynch or Maclin) being desirable. That is all relative and contingent on where your team is, at and how your roster is constructed, how big is your league, scoring, roster size, etc. I'll be clear and to the point. With Maclin, even his heaviest critics would likely agree, that he plays in the NFL for 2-3 more seasons or so as it is realistic. He'll never give you true wr1 production. He will however likely give you decent wr 3-4 and at times wr2 type games over the span of his remaining few years in the league. His situation in Baltimore is an improvement over his situation in KC so.... not sure why one would say his value is low because of his situation. He is clearly the #1 red-zone passing option. He is 29 years old so maybe we see his production slide a smidge to the wr3 -wr4ish type levels in the next couple - few years he plays. None the less, he has a role, he will score fantasy points, and, more importantly, he likely is in the league one or even two calendar years from today. Who is confident that Marshawn Lynch plays in the NFL at a fantasy productive rate in 2018 or 2019. NOT frickin me, that's for sure.

So far through 2 full games, Maclin has outscored Lynch. Both of these two players seem to be a bit TD dependent so far. I'd expect at the end of the 2017 season, Maclin outscores lynch though, particularly in ppr leagues. I'd also feel safe in assuming that in 2018, Maclin outscores Lynch in a landslide. I could care less about personal feelings and personal valuations of players. We all have players we like and don't like for that matter. But, lets try to base those evaluations on fact. Facts are that Maclin is a wr. Wr tend to play longer that rb, Maclin is 29 and Lynch is 31. If we are looking at points, Maclin has out scored Lynch thus far in two games - a trend that, imo, is likely to continue. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong... But- Who else is going to catch passes from Flaaco? Oakland's team is not built around the running game, although they do have a strong O-line, rather, it is D.Carr's team as they pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

I tried to acquire Lynch with the slight over pay of an offer (value wise, age wise, ADP wise ) - purely based off of the zero available rb talent in that league & because I wanted and thought I could afford rb depth - and my potential trade partner needed or could have used startable wr help, and an improvement over his current #3 wr. Lynch would have become my 4th or 5th rb and some depth insurance, J.Maclin would have been a nice production addition and would have or should have started for my trade partner. Maclin is my #5 wr on that team. He is who he is. I'm defending him, not because I'm in love with him, nor is he a central piece to my team, rather, I'm defending him purely based on common sense. Again, I never brought up anything to do with D.Foreman, so not sure why that was commented on in the post above, but.... Man it is quite obvious that based on production for a fantasy line up alone; J.Maclin is severely undervalued on these forums. And, if that trade would have went through my potential trade partner would have beat me in week #2's match up. He politely declined with a brief explanation as to why, which I respect, and....then I thanked him for getting back to me and for his explanation, then I beat him.
All due respect, I get what you're saying, but I play my dynasty leagues like redraft once the season starts. The goal is to win this year every year (unless it's obvious you have zero chance and need to rebuild). In that sense, Lynch is more valuable to my roster as an RB2 with RB1 upside rather than a WR3 or flex like Maclin who can be easily replaced by any number of WRs. Lynch > Maclin in my valuation if someone were trying to trade with me. Yes, you might only have Lynch for a year or two, but those couple of seasons of high upside RB production are worth far more to me than 3-5 years of middling flex production from a guy like Maclin (especially when Flacco likely has a disc herniation in his back and can't really throw).
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

JFever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm To each their own if you'd like to roster M.Lynch over J.Maclin. We are however, just so we are clear, discussing DYNASTY football, not a redraft league.
I will take one year of RB2 production over 2-3 years of WR3-4 production in all my dynasty start 2 RB leagues. I would flex Lynch over Maclin every week if both are healthy in most leagues.
Hard for me to imagine any 16 team start 2RB /2WR/2FLEX Lynch isn't in a starting lineup...Maclin I would believe some teams have better options
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm

^^^

Both valid points above...
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)