During the Draft - Trade Activity

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

During the Draft - Trade Activity

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 pm

While trade activity is not the end all / be all of means of monitoring league activity, trade activity is normally thought to be quite high during the rookie draft. Other means of monitoring league activity include draft pick times and volume of chatter in your league.

However this is a record of league trades during rookie drafts. To count the trades had to occur no earlier than the day of the draft and no later than the day the draft ended. I'll update this list as more drafts conclude. Listed in order of completion

Please feel free to share your own

1 - 14 Team League, 22 man Rosters 4 man taxi - 8 trades

2 - 14 Team League, 53 man rosters, 10 man taxi - 13 trades

3 - 12 Team Best Ball, 30 man rosters - 12 trades

4 - 12 Team 24 man rosters - 9 trades

5 - 12 team 26 man rosters - 11 trades

6 - 12 team Superflex, 30 man rosters - 6 trades*

7 - 12 team 24 man rosters - 7 trades

8 - 12 team 23 man rosters TE Premium - 9 trades

9 - 12 team 26 man rosters - 3 trades

10 - 14 team Superflex TE Premium 30 man rosters - 13 trades

11 - 20 team 14 man Keeper - 18 trades

12 - 16 team Superflex Best Ball - 5 trades

13 - 12 Team SuperFlex IDP - 7 trades

14 - 12 team 26 man rosters - 11 trades

15 - 12 team 25 man rosters - 4 trades

----

* - One of the reasons this might have one of the lowest trade counts is because the startup occurred earlier this year (so less time for values to shift for owners) and the rookie picks were included in startup (and many of them went to a smaller # of teams).
Last edited by ArrylT on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: During the Draft - Trade Activity

Postby onetwothree » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Should post the specific trades during the draft. Pick X traded down for Y, Z...

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sun May 21, 2017 6:28 am

Most of my leagues have had 6-10 trades completed during the draft, except one league. I've been involved in between 1-4 of the trades in each of the leagues except that one.

I was in a 12 teamer that had 3 trades during the draft, I was involved in none of them (not for enormous lack of trying).
I spent the whole draft offering sell lows on Gurley and other players just trying to spur some activity. One of the responses I received (after about 4 offers sent to this guy) was "That's a very fair trade but I'm not interested in paying anywhere close to fair value for your players".

Then 4 guys - including the commish - are in the league chat bitching about the lack of trades and how nobody seems to want to trade. :wall:

It was my least favorite league last year, not even sure why I returned to it. That pretty much sealed the deal for me after 2017.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun May 21, 2017 7:20 am

SCYCPA wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:28 am Most of my leagues have had 6-10 trades completed during the draft, except one league. I've been involved in between 1-4 of the trades in each of the leagues except that one.

I was in a 12 teamer that had 3 trades during the draft, I was involved in none of them (not for enormous lack of trying).
I spent the whole draft offering sell lows on Gurley and other players just trying to spur some activity. One of the responses I received (after about 4 offers sent to this guy) was "That's a very fair trade but I'm not interested in paying anywhere close to fair value for your players".

Then 4 guys - including the commish - are in the league chat bitching about the lack of trades and how nobody seems to want to trade. :wall:

It was my least favorite league last year, not even sure why I returned to it. That pretty much sealed the deal for me after 2017.
At least that owner was honest, if brutally so, about not wanting to pay. :lol: I know the feeling - depending on the league it sometimes feelsl ike pulling teeth. :wink:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun May 21, 2017 7:21 am

onetwothree wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm Should post the specific trades during the draft. Pick X traded down for Y, Z...
I might consider that later if I have the time. I'll have to redact the team names because I dont like sharing details not involving my team without permission. Thanks for reading!

s75h
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby s75h » Sun May 21, 2017 9:19 am

This is for our 12 team, salary cap/contract, 50 man roster (5 taxi squat spots) with full IDP.

I'll state the number of trades during the draft and also in parentheses I'll state the number of trades made in the two week period just before the draft which is when we hold our slow running free agent auction.

2016 - 28 (16) 7 of the 28 trades were made during the draft while the original team was on the clock. In total, we had 46 trades occur prior to the start of the season. It was our busiest trading off-season in your history. Draft went from June 26 - July 1.

2015 - 13 (24)

2014 - 18 (8) Also had 22 trades made from about February until the auction started.

2013 - 7 (6)

2012 - 6 (We had no auction. We had a start up draft.)

In the first few years we only allowed teams to trade while on the clock if done within the first hour or two of being on the clock, but we removed that limitation last year. Although it does slow down the draft a little, it does make for more trade talks during the draft and since there's nothing else going on in the off-season we figured why rush the draft. We use a 12 hour draft clock.

jwint7910
Starter
Starter

Postby jwint7910 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:34 am

This is sad... Jk. I am in an awesome league of active owners and friends from high school. We do a live draft and BBQ/get smashed fest every year, I was involved in 5 trades and I would not be surprised if 25 were completed.

10 Team PPR 25 man rosters

My trades:

Traded 7 (Howard), 18 (juju) and 23 (Jo Williams)
Received 8 (Hunt) and 12 (Engram)

Traded 10 (Kamara)
Recieved 2018 first and second

Traded 19 (Watson) and 2018 second
Recieved 16 (Mack), he is kinda my guy but I know the price as high

Traded 21
Recieved 2019 first

Traded 2018 fourth and fifth
Recieved 43 (B Hill), I was several beers deep on this one, haha
Dynasty League: Est. 2012 2018 CHAMPION
10 Team PPR, All tds 6 points, 27 roster
Start: 1-QB, 2-4RB, 2-4WR, 1-3TE, 1-K, 1-DEF

QB BigBen, Dak
RB Barkley, Cook, Mixon, Chubb, D Williams, R Anderson, B Anderson
WR Nuk, AB, M Thomas, Cooper, M Williams, Godwin, Gallup, McLaurin, Cain, D Moore
TE Engram, Njoku, Knox
K Zuerlein
DEF Vikings, Chargers

2020:2,2,2,2,3,3-5
2021:1,2,2,5

Dynasty League: Est. 2017
12 Team PPR Superflex, 1/4 point per carry, TE bonus, All tds 6 points, 25 roster
Start: 1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR, 1-2TE, 1-K, 1-DEF

QB Rodgers, Watson, Luck, Murray
RB Mixon, Gordon, Chubb, Guice, Harris
WR JuJu, Cooks, Golladay, C Davis, Godwin, Fuller, Miller, Washington, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Quinn, C Moore
TE Engram, OJ Howard
K Zuerlein
DEF Denver

2019: 3.10,4.05
2020: 1,1,1,1,2,2,4-5
2021: 1-5

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 am

There always seems to be 2-3 trades during the draft in most of my leagues, but it's rather rare anymore to see a lot of trading during the rookie drafts. To me there's several things that influence this.

First for me is how long the league has been in existence. It varies from league to league obviously, but I've noticed in most of my leagues that trading as a whole has declined substantially as the leagues have progressed into their 4th-6th year. On the flip side, if we've had to bring in 1-2 replacement owners, that usually seems to spur trade activity as the new owners try to mold their teams as they wish. This usually carries over into the rookie draft.

In addition, for rookie draft specific trading activity, I've seen that trade activity can be higher/lower depending on which owners stockpiled the most picks in that draft. If a high volume trader has a ton of picks, then there's usually more trading going on. If an owner that hardly ever trades holds a high number of picks, the draft is pretty quiet.

The final component that effects rookie draft trading IME are the order that the players are drafted. I usually see more trading during drafts when owners make unorthodox picks than when the draft goes chalk, as owners scurry to trade up to draft players that they never thought would slip as far as they have.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Couldn't agree more buckeye...with everything mentioned.

I typically try to trade for rookie picks and players both during drafts...I'm finding that others simply don't want to move their pieces unless they are winning the deal by a wide margin. I tend to believe this is because the league's have been running a few years.

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm

In the league for team in signature, there have been 14 trades involving 2017 picks since the draft started. We are halfway through the 3rd round right now. Trades don't seem to be slowing down either :dance:
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm

nabright wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm In the league for team in signature, there have been 14 trades involving 2017 picks since the draft started. We are halfway through the 3rd round right now. Trades don't seem to be slowing down either :dance:
You're making me jealous...
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm
nabright wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm In the league for team in signature, there have been 14 trades involving 2017 picks since the draft started. We are halfway through the 3rd round right now. Trades don't seem to be slowing down either :dance:
You're making me jealous...
You should be haha... I should also mention that 10 out of our 12 owners have made a deal during the draft. Definitely one of the most active rookie drafts I have been apart of.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Updated to include most recently conclude draft.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat May 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Almost every team starting with 1.05 in my league (down to 1.14) tried trading down and none were successful. Just reminds that trading down can be the right move in theory but it still takes another owner wanting to move up in order to make it happen...

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm

onetwothree wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 8:24 pm Almost every team starting with 1.05 in my league (down to 1.14) tried trading down and none were successful. Just reminds that trading down can be the right move in theory but it still takes another owner wanting to move up in order to make it happen...
Too true!