Any hope for Maxx Williams?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
adammc44
Starter
Starter

Re: Any hope for Maxx Williams?

Postby adammc44 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 am

He was a flyer pickup at the end of the year....we don't have waivers open until just before the season when we do a FA draft. It's very possible I cut him then, but my thought process was he was a late first or early 2nd round pick, is going into his 3rd year, and he's still only 23 (and turned 23 in April). Don't think it's fair to call him a bust, but I do think if he doesn't show something this year then it would be.
The Man with the Golden Gloves (14 teams, 6 pt all tds, no ppr, 18+3 rookie taxi squad spots (up to 2 years))
start: 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te no flex, d, k
QB: Cousins, Darnold
RB: David Johnson, A Jones, D Freeman, Gio, Hyde, Malcom Brown
WR: Adam Thielen, C Godwin, T Williams, J Landry, A Miller
TE: Waller, Herndon
Taxi: P Williams, Jonnu Smith, Gesicki
IR: Crowell

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 am

It wouldn't be unusual for a TE to take 2-3 years to develop and then finally produce. I'd give him a chance this season if you have the roster space. If he doesn't do anything this year, then he's probably not as good as we thought.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:48 pm I fail to understand how Maxx Williams has "face planted" so far. He had a pretty solid rookie year, and then was injured last year.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/ ... x-williams

Not a single good game despite next to no presence at TE and little to nothing at WR.
What kind of a bar do you use to judge rookie TEs?
Impossible to put any kind of # of it due to the multiple facets of the position. However, he was given every opportunity and to me, looked slow, not overly strong and didn't look comfortable at all. Yes he was a rookie, but that slow start combined with his (to me) overrated college tape, then the Ravens going out and signing Watson, bringing back Pitta, Waller made some plays, Gilmore has great size. Not liking how its shaking out for Maxx.

Personally, I think he's still getting by based on his leap over a defender in college. NFL ATHLETICISM!

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun May 21, 2017 11:29 am

adammc44 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 am He was a flyer pickup at the end of the year....we don't have waivers open until just before the season when we do a FA draft. It's very possible I cut him then, but my thought process was he was a late first or early 2nd round pick, is going into his 3rd year, and he's still only 23 (and turned 23 in April). Don't think it's fair to call him a bust, but I do think if he doesn't show something this year then it would be.
This is where I'm at with Maxx. Same scenario in our league in that he went late 1st, then the owner got frustrated with him so I grabbed him off the wire for nothing. 2017 is a big year for him though. If he doesn't show a little bit more on the field then I'll probably be moving on before the 2018 draft. I'm hoping to grab one of the top 3 TE's late in the first this year to hedge my bet, but we'll see exactly where they get taken and if that's even possible.

2018 is looking pretty weak for TE's, and with three really solid prospects available this year I think it's a little more important than in years past to grab one of them if your team needs help at the position. I'd be very happy with Howard/Engram/Njoku behind Kelce in case it doesn't happen for Maxx.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I just recently drafted him in the 18th round in a startup draft. There wasn't much left and we have deep rosters so I felt like it was worth a shot, since he is so young and Pitta has had so many injuries.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun May 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Farley wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:57 am It's funny that there are many owners who refuse to even draft a tight end because of the long transition they face at the position in the NFL.
But when a tight end doesn't show much in his rookie year, many of these same owners wash their hands of him and label him a bust. Can't have it both ways. Either you need to be patient or you don't.
Haha yep. I thought the general consensus was that it takes the majority of rookie TEs a few years to be relevant.

And at the same time, if they aren't immediately producing out of the gate, then it's time to cut bait.

I'm ok with this because it gives me a shot at a cheap young TE.

For what it's worth, in a 16 team startup (TE premium, full IDP, 2QB, 53 man roster)...I drafted Maxx in the 28th round.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/ ... x-williams

Not a single good game despite next to no presence at TE and little to nothing at WR.
Impossible to put any kind of # of it due to the multiple facets of the position. However, he was given every opportunity and to me, looked slow, not overly strong and didn't look comfortable at all. Yes he was a rookie, but that slow start combined with his (to me) overrated college tape, then the Ravens going out and signing Watson, bringing back Pitta, Waller made some plays, Gilmore has great size. Not liking how its shaking out for Maxx.

Personally, I think he's still getting by based on his leap over a defender in college. NFL ATHLETICISM!
But it wasn't a slow start, that's the point. He had a pretty standard rookie NFL TE season, and then was hurt last year. Hell, Gronk barely cleared 40 catches his rookie year, and Jimmy Graham put up a blazing 31/356 in his rookie year. TEs take time, that's the thing.

if you don't like him from his tape, that's fine, I won't argue with you. But to claim that he "faceplanted" or is some kind of bust is extremely premature at this point.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Goddard wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 am It wouldn't be unusual for a TE to take 2-3 years to develop and then finally produce. I'd give him a chance this season if you have the roster space. If he doesn't do anything this year, then he's probably not as good as we thought.
It wouldn't be, but depending on who you ask, he's either the TE2 or TE3 on the Ravens. Dennis Pitta is their starter and he led the team with 121 targets last year. That's not just going away anytime soon, unless he gets injured again.

I liked Maxx coming out of college, but it's not looking good for him in Baltimore right now.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun May 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 pm
Goddard wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 am It wouldn't be unusual for a TE to take 2-3 years to develop and then finally produce. I'd give him a chance this season if you have the roster space. If he doesn't do anything this year, then he's probably not as good as we thought.
It wouldn't be, but depending on who you ask, he's either the TE2 or TE3 on the Ravens. Dennis Pitta is their starter and he led the team with 121 targets last year. That's not just going away anytime soon, unless he gets injured again.

I liked Maxx coming out of college, but it's not looking good for him in Baltimore right now.
That's true. I thought about that as well. Sometimes you just have to wait till a player leaves and goes to a new team before they break out...similar to Delanie when he was stuck behind Vernon for a few years. I'm not saying Maxx will be good and I'm not all that high on him, but it's still early to give up for a TE. I'd have a hard time holding him myself at this point.

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 am

I know some people reject "narrative" out of hand but this kid's story is trending down. He isn't even the guy coaches talk up. I've got him on two teams and I will be looking for another guy to plug into the "developmental" slot if I can get the chance. —Best, Steve

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I like Williams, but as a Minnesota homer who's watched him his whole college career, I just don't think he's a game changing talent. He's good and solid, but probably JAG at the NFL level.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat May 27, 2017 9:28 am

bigchiefbc wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 am

But it wasn't a slow start, that's the point. He had a pretty standard rookie NFL TE season, and then was hurt last year. Hell, Gronk barely cleared 40 catches his rookie year, and Jimmy Graham put up a blazing 31/356 in his rookie year. TEs take time, that's the thing.

if you don't like him from his tape, that's fine, I won't argue with you. But to claim that he "faceplanted" or is some kind of bust is extremely premature at this point.
Gronk had 10 TDs and Graham was may more productive despite being a basketball player.

I know TEs take time but he showed absolutely nothing his rookie year despite being given every chance and didn't impress last offseason either.

Fantasyfanatic11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Fantasyfanatic11 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Well this is his chance.....

Pitta re-injured hip today, not sure severity though but if he's done for the year, this is Williams best chance.

@Ravens: Statement from Ozzie Newsome: "In unfortunate news, Dennis Pitta re-injured his hip at today’s OTA session."
16 team PPR
QB: Herbert Purdy Garoppolo Winston
RB: Chubb Bijan Kamara White Singletary Gainwell CEH Penny
WR: Cooper Moore Dotson Beckham Mooney Mingo Renfrow
TE: LaPorta Kittle Waller

16 Team PPR
QB: Herbert
RB: A.Jones Elliott Spears Gainwell Fournette
WR: Kupp Olave M.Williams Flowers OBJ Dotson Johnston Palmer Claypool
TE: LaPorta Schultz Njoku

ChuckCecil26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ChuckCecil26 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Fantasyfanatic11 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm Well this is his chance.....

Pitta re-injured hip today, not sure severity though but if he's done for the year, this is Williams best chance.

@Ravens: Statement from Ozzie Newsome: "In unfortunate news, Dennis Pitta re-injured his hip at today’s OTA session."
Yeah, the injury sounds bad.

Might see Barnidge or Ladarius Green get a shot at the job.
Risk-averse players want guarantees. The gamblers understand that there are no guarantees.

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Fantasyfanatic11 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm Well this is his chance.....

Indeed it is. Grab him for free and see if he gets to fill Pitta's role. If he does he could be fantasy gold as Pitta led all TEs in receptions last year. If he doesn't get that roll than he's an easy cut.