Elijah Hood

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ascherb
Starter
Starter

Elijah Hood

Postby ascherb » Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 am

Had some impressive YPC numbers for UNC, but I haven't watched too much of him. Is he talented enough to be a stash? I've heard he's more of a bell-cow type guy physically than either of the two young guys from last year, and should be Lynch's handcuff. But is he talented enough to be the guy after Lynch hangs it up?

It's the 4th round of my rookie draft and thinking of grabbing him, but wondering what everyone's thoughts are on him?
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Re: Elijah Hood

Postby JJDubya » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 am

I highly doubt you have better options there. Lynch may have had a year off to heal, but he's always been banged up in some way, shape or form. I doubt the Raiders expect Lynch to shoulder the entire load all year - they'll need him for the playoffs if they can get that far. I expect to see some Hood mixed in and if Lynch ever misses time (decent probability of that) and Hood gets the start he could put together a solid game and have his fantasy value increase significantly. He's a perfect specimen to flip for a future first if he gets some meaningful action this year.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 am

Hood is someone I was really high on a year ago, but his numbers went down this past year after he shared carries with TJ Logan and dealt with a few injuries late in the year. He's the kind of player that can succeed pretty well behind that Oakland line.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Mon May 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I think Hood could be the guy. Rumor is they like him already.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon May 15, 2017 2:13 pm

^ Yeah I saw an article in my RSS feed with some positive coach speak for him early..
@PlankMelody

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Tough to get behind a 7th round pick. Just makes you wonder why teams passed on him.

Go Bucks
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Go Bucks » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Plank wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:13 pm ^ Yeah I saw an article in my RSS feed with some positive coach speak for him early..
But the same coaches raved about Murray, Richard, and Washington this time a year ago. And now Lynch is there too. I'd avoid this backfield. When Lynch retires, none of the others will separate from the pack enough to have dynasty value.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Tue May 16, 2017 2:11 am

Go Bucks wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm
Plank wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:13 pm ^ Yeah I saw an article in my RSS feed with some positive coach speak for him early..
But the same coaches raved about Murray, Richard, and Washington this time a year ago. And now Lynch is there too. I'd avoid this backfield. When Lynch retires, none of the others will separate from the pack enough to have dynasty value.
Richard and Washington both had great stats last season, but niether got used enough to be relevant. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of them be a lead back and I think Richard has the size to carry a full load if he needed to. Hood is a wild card who is already 'turning heads' apparently. They're all complete gambles but there's worst lottery tickets.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Tue May 16, 2017 5:54 am

I don't think he has the chops to be a three down back. I see him more of a vulture of touches/short yardage guy then a bell cow. He's too one dimensional.
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 am

Hood's pros
- adequate instincts and vision
- adequate pad-level
- reliable passing-down back (in college, anyway)
- tough, heavy, can break some tackles, carry a workhouse load

Hood's cons
- clumsy feet
- bad hip flexion
- neither 'quick' nor 'fast'
- if he ever has to gear down on a run, he's getting tackled in the pros because his '0 to 60' / 'get up and go' etc is like that of a lorry
- has no ability to 'get skinny' through the line; he needs lanes, not creases

Elijah Hood knows his craft on his college tape, but he's just not much of an athlete (by NFL standards). And I don't just mean his SPARQ. Sometimes SPARQ doesn't align with a player's visible athleticism in pads when the play is live, but that is not the case with Elijah Hood. His athleticism in pads is consistent with his 8th percentile SPARQ.

Until Hood's NFL tape tells me otherwise, I will believe that Jalen Richard is a more talented NFL-level running-back than him, and probably DeAndre Washington, too. However, I can see Hood poaching the goal-line work.

Note I am not factoring in Lynch because this is dynasty and I'm thinking beyond his likely short tenure in Oakland.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 am

Seeing as his main competition behind Lynch is Washington and Richard, he could carve out a role.

Year to year, cannot expect anything long term.

In the 4th round of your rookie draft, that is long shot territory - he is as good a long shot as any.

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

I took him at 4.10 over Malachi Dupree, Iseah ford, etc. with a 4th rounder flyer, im hoping he can generate some buzz and i can flip.
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

osubuckeyeman wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm Tough to get behind a 7th round pick. Just makes you wonder why teams passed on him.

I agree with this point. I like to go back and look at the guys taken in the last couple rounds of the NFL draft. I am guessing maybe 10% of the 7th round picks ever amount to anything. That includes all players not just fantasy relevant guys.

jimmy jr.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jimmy jr. » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I own Lynch & i live 12 miles from Chapel Hill. I've seen alot of him on TV down here & heard some buzz from Oakland also, if he's there in the 4th rd. of our draft in August , i'm taking him , just a flyer, but who knows, could get some time behind Lynch.
Full Dynasty for (34 yrs.) 10 Teams ppr R. Wilson, K. Murray , W. Levis , K. Cousins.

./ , A. Kamara, S. Barkley , N. Harris , K. Williams, G. Edwards, K. Miller/. ,Godwin, .DK , A.J. Brown, C. Olave, T. Burks, M. Mims, Tank Dell / M. Andrews, T. McBride, D. Waller. / H. Buckner , J . Moody / Patriots & Rams .

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 18, 2017 6:26 am

ESKAY wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm
osubuckeyeman wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm Tough to get behind a 7th round pick. Just makes you wonder why teams passed on him.

I agree with this point. I like to go back and look at the guys taken in the last couple rounds of the NFL draft. I am guessing maybe 10% of the 7th round picks ever amount to anything. That includes all players not just fantasy relevant guys.
The ones I have stats for. I highlighted the relevant ones. I don't think we've had a relevant RB drafted in the 7th round since maybe 2008 or something so I suppose we're due.

7th round RBs
Chris Ogbonnaya
Michael Smith
Storm Johnson
Marcus Murphy
Joey Iosefa
Dwayne Washington
Daniel Lasco
Da'Rel Scott
Kenny Hilliard
Peyton Hillis
Devante Mays