The Mike Williams Thread: Finally turned the corner?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Mike Williams = Superstar

Postby Vcize » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 am

IBall2 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am
petebusey wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am Did you see the recent interview with Mike?
You can't just say this without adding the link or identify what important quotes he said...
"I'm good. Everything good. The back situation. That was some false information being released," he said, per Lakisha Jackson of NFL.com. "I don't know who released it but everything is good."

Of course, he wouldn't be the first player to lie about this kind of thing but that's what he's saying.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723 ... ack-injury
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:10 pm

freddog97 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 am Man the Williams hate is REAL. The guy was a stud on tape and drafted high but everyone seems to be out on him. I get the back scare but no one would give an 18 1st ? I feel like the community is over reacting to this news. I believe he will play this year and once he puts up big numbers everyone will be back on the Williams train. Buy for a mid 1st all day !
Earlier this year, he was being penciled in as the next big thing at WR. Now, you can get him for a late 1st. Just shows how quick perception and value fluctuate.

It's still worth noting though that players and teams have denied future surgical procedures before. Kevin White's rookie season injury started out as something that wasn't a big deal. Perriman was expected to play as a rookie at some point too. Each case should be treated differently though.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:04 pm

And the fluctuating starts..

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Fun stuff. I'm holding on to Mike Williams for dear life.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Same here, I have a feeling he is gonna exceed expectations

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Curious to see what you think "expectations" are. In 12 drafts this year I have him in one, and that's only because it was early, I couldn't move the pick and I wasn't feeling like reaching for a TE or Ross/Kamara/Perine. My money is on him missing plenty of time this season. He's on a crowded depth chart, and I think the fact that he was a high draft pick will work to his detriment this year. The organization won't want to push him too hard in case his back is made worse, so I can't see him playing a full complement of snaps even if given the green light to play. Personally I think Tyrell is still the better option for them because he's proven and available. Their issue last year was line-play and the effectiveness of their running game. WR isn't a true need for them so I would be very surprised to see anything more than a 40/500/5 line from him this year, and that presumes he plays the entire season.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:32 pm

I see him getting pushed more and more down. Pre injury I loved his fit there. Not sure where others saw him landing to increase his value. His expectations mysteriously dropped pre injury for insufficient reasons imo..so as long as all these fluff injury pieces don't fully come to life, I see him excelling compared to where he's being drafted in rookie drafts.. If he is really as injured as this scare is becoming, then it might take some more time, but talent/situation wise, he's underrated and a stud in the making

Same reason why people had him slotted at 3 or 4 pre combine/draft and I see nothing from draft/combine that should of pushed him down or have others jump him other than maybe cmc being a surprisingly top 10 pick rb.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm

spotxc wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:32 pmI see him excelling compared to where he's being drafted in rookie drafts
That's fair.

I see him underperforming based on where he was before he started falling, so i can identify with that logic.

I cant speak for other people but, for me, it isn't anything about injury. For me, his ranking pre-combine/draft was what it was because i hadn't had the chance to fully evaluate him yet. Being able to do so coincided roughly with the draft/combine. Once i was able to evaluate him more thoroughly, i moved him down rather aggressively.

My guess--and I'm just guessing, here--is that other people were in the process of doing the same thing, explaining the fall in his perceived studliness about that time of year.

Certainly, there's no reason why your assessment that he's a stud in the making is any less likely to be true than mine--I'm only explaining his drop for me, not claiming to be a superior evaluator to you.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm in a start up dynasty draft right now and he somehow is still on the board... we are over a hundred picks in...

Crazy to think just a few months ago he was near the top of the class. He'd be a great steal for someone late.
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:09 am

My guess is he gets shutdown this year . Now he's not practicing all through training camp.

Not good
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

No camp = no integration into the offense.

If he starts the season on the PUP which is looking more likely by the day, then I think DJB is probably right about him getting shelved for 2017. This is really starting to have a Doctson/Kevin White feel to it. And if that neck isn't improving the earlier reports of him needing surgery start to look more and more likely.

Of course on the flip-side, if you liked his talent before all this negativity started to hit the wire it will present a great opportunity to buy low. Even if you have to sit on him for a year.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Dang I wish I my draft didn't pass already , could of snagged him later

yosemityjn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

MIke Williams long term

Postby yosemityjn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Has anybody heard news on the long term prognosis for Williams? Id like to know if his back condition is considered chronic, or fixable etc. You get the drift!

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: MIke Williams long term

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:15 pm

I posted this article int eh big thread right after the news broke. Sounds positive for him to avoid any future issues if he gets the surgery, but it is not a very comprehensive study.
jtd1387 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm This article suggests most players can return without repeat issues after the surgery.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:21 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:18 pm
maxhyde wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm
Friction wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm This along with his neck injury a couple years ago does not bode well for his future. Maybe not the P word (prone), but definitely getting there.
Yeah I would be surprised if these 2 injuries aren't related.
Latest I saw was sugery was an option 3-4 weeks ago but the Chargers felt he was improving....so maybe Schefter is reporting things that have already come and gone for the chargers.
I am sure it is going to be something the Chargers will monitor closely
Latest roto blurb makes it sound like Schefter is reporting things come and gone. It will be interesting to monitor.
Well nevermind. The quotes from the Chargers the last few days are pretty ominous sounding.

I did still take him at 1.06 yesterday. I gave more consideration to Howard than I expected, but ultimately I'll bet on him getting it fixed and producing in 2018.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...