Super Deep Sleeper - RB Devante Mays

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Super Deep Sleeper - RB Devante Mays

Postby _yeti » Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 am

Former powerlifter, 5'11 230 lbs
Claims a 425 lb bench, at 230 lbs he had a 40.5 inch vert, 22 reps on the bench, 10.9 ft broad jump, and a 4.47 40 time. Was hurt last season or might have gone a little higher. 3rd RB taken this draft by the Packers in the 7th round, but my favorite to win a camp battle with the other rookies.

Instant goal line appeal as he may be more of a truck than Perine. Overlooked at every level with no offers out of HS, went to Juco and ended up with only one offer from Utah State. Now is on the next level ready to prove people wrong again! Check out his highlights if you don't believe me! He hulk smashes people
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Super Deep Sleeper - RB Devante Mays

Postby kadun2 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the heads up, Yes he is a masher, with some quicks too!

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Tue May 09, 2017 11:15 am

_yeti wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 am He hulk smashes people
You ain't kiddin...
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am

Sounds like this year's Terron Beckham!
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am

Jpalladino91 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am Sounds like this year's Terron Beckham!
Funny. That's who I thought of too. He looks capable enough if he gets an opportunity, but so do so many other backs in the NFL. Capable will get it done if the opportunity drops in his lap, but I don't see a special talent that will rise up a depth chart.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am
Jpalladino91 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am Sounds like this year's Terron Beckham!
Funny. That's who I thought of too. He looks capable enough if he gets an opportunity, but so do so many other backs in the NFL. Capable will get it done if the opportunity drops in his lap, but I don't see a special talent that will rise up a depth chart.
If this jumped off the film at people he wouldn't have been 7th round or only gotten one D-1 offer. To me I see a back who is better than people give him credit for who is completely unknown. If he was on a backfield like Dallas or the Steelers I wouldn't be buying but the Packers have one of the most ascendable backfields in the league. I'm hoping for another Karlos Williams type rise

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm

_yeti wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 pm
Valhalla wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am
If this jumped off the film at people he wouldn't have been 7th round or only gotten one D-1 offer. To me I see a back who is better than people give him credit for who is completely unknown. If he was on a backfield like Dallas or the Steelers I wouldn't be buying but the Packers have one of the most ascendable backfields in the league. I'm hoping for another Karlos Williams type rise
That's pretty much it though. Karlos Williams was/is an NFL worthy talent, but he's not special in terms of the NFL. He is good enough to get it done if the opportunity is open, but shouldn't be expected to rise above and stay on top of a depth chart. Is it possible for it to happen? Absolutely, as it happens EVERY YEAR in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't make it, but to me he looks like just another one of the many "talented enough to be in the NFL" backs but not notably special. He does look good (not amazing), and is a bruiser, but even the very good looking bruisers (like Marion Barber) don't often last long.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Karlos actually turned out to be pretty special, albeit for one year. He was a size/speed freak who happened to be a great receiver and he tied the rookie TD record. He ascended a backfield from 6th string to basically a committee with McCoy. As was his problem in the past, work ethic and character issues sidelined his career but I think expectations of what is good or valuable are out of whack here.

It's all about return on investment. Both of these guys are or were free. If that ends up being a TD scoring player than you can possibly flip them or use them in good matchups. I will grant very rarely do these guys provide long term value, but what else should you do with late picks? Took him with the last pick in our draft, 6.12, and I look at him as a free lottery ticket that is super easy to drop at any time.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 09, 2017 4:20 pm

6.12 I fully advocate taking guys like this

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am

_yeti wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm Karlos actually turned out to be pretty special, albeit for one year. He was a size/speed freak who happened to be a great receiver and he tied the rookie TD record.
What record? In Buffalo? He only had 9 total TDs. That's bested nearly every year by the top rookie RB. In 2015 Gurley had 10 and there are a host of rookie seasons I can recite where the top rookie had double-digit TDs.

As for Devante, he looks pretty solid in his vids. Could definitely see him take the GL touches.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 am

The tape reminds me of CJA.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu May 11, 2017 6:53 am

JJDubya wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am
_yeti wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm Karlos actually turned out to be pretty special, albeit for one year. He was a size/speed freak who happened to be a great receiver and he tied the rookie TD record.
What record? In Buffalo? He only had 9 total TDs. That's bested nearly every year by the top rookie RB. In 2015 Gurley had 10 and there are a host of rookie seasons I can recite where the top rookie had double-digit TDs.

As for Devante, he looks pretty solid in his vids. Could definitely see him take the GL touches.
I apologize, I was going off memory and maybe one too many hits in the head (and also my sad reminiscence of what Karlos could have been haha).

He tied a rookie record for six TDs in his first six games. Only the second player in history to do that. My general point though was when you can come out of the gates firing that well at the NFL level coupled with top RB level speed and athleticism at a huge 230 lbs, and can catch, that was pretty special. Not to mention only having played RB for two years before that in college and originally being a safety. Not to make it all about Karlos, but he was on his way to being a household name, if only he had the off-field part of the game together.

Point was just made as a footnote to say he was a special talent on-the-field.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05 ... ookie-rbs/

"Lance Zierlein of NFL.com picked Mays – who was drafted by Green Bay after BYU’s Jamaal Williams and UTEP’s Aaron Jones – as one of his five late-round picks likely to exceed expectations.

“To me, Mays has the highest upside of the three backs,” Zierlein wrote. “Mays is built like a truck and possesses a 40.5-inch vertical leap. He’s more athletic than Williams and much more powerful than Jones. If Mays had made more than 37 carries this season (injury-riddled season), he might have gone ahead of both of his new teammates.”

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm

All in on Mays!!!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am

Last edited by _yeti on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.