League Cost

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

League Cost

Postby Dingram » Mon May 08, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm just curious if a league's cost would dictate your style of play. During a rookie draft, messaging a leaguemate, we started discussing risk factors and weather or not the cost would determine one's style. It kinda got me thinking. All the leagues I participate in are the lower scale variety, between $25-$50. It's really not a big deal to "punt" a year or two to try to build a stronger team down the road. Honestly if I was paying $200, im not sure I'd take that route. Think I'd certainly try to win earlier. It kind of got me to question my overall style of play. But isn't half the fun gambling on rookies and rookie picks? Even after we've been burned, time and time again. Can anyone speak to this? Anybody play in multiple leagues, and maybe alter their style of play for their "big money" leagues?

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Re: League Cost

Postby Novacane » Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 pm

I don't play in any big money leagues but I am in 5 dynasty leagues with buy ins ranging from $50 - $125. I don't treat the $125 league differantly than the $50 league. I used to play a lot of poker and I remember that issue coming up quite a bit. Most of the time that I felt like I was playing outside of my comfort zone, I was making a lot of mistakes and throwing equity away. But it is a great topic and a good way to evaluate what type of player you really are when the money is on the line.
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue May 09, 2017 6:16 am

In theory, it makes no difference. I "punt" on $25 to win $150, or I "punt" on $200 to win $1,200 -- either way, the value is the same.

In practice, it does make a difference. Say that they buy-in were $200,000 -- punting on that would be a lot harder. I would only play in dynasty/keeper leagues where you are comfortable punting. Otherwise, you remove that bullet from your arsenal out of fear of losing too much money, and you make less-than-optimal decisions.

If you really, really, really must play in a league where the buy-in is more than you're comfortable punting, then the other alternative that I see is selling the future big time to win money now. It's a huge gambit. If it pays off, though, then you essentially have the next 5+ years pre-paid, and then you can "punt" on other people's money -- you'll always be ahead.

I'd punt without a second thought in any league that I'm in if it were the optimal strategy.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am

That is a tough question, as I have become less and less motivated over the years to even invest time or effort at all if the buy-in is less than $100. Even then, the ROI for that makes me pause. In reality, the payouts are just future bets with better odds. I think it really comes down to how much of the hobby side you enjoy, then the money becomes almost a bonus. As far as punting a season, I think most view that as setting themselves up for multiple runs potentially, even if the odds are against you. It is a sacrifice for the greater cause in a sense.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 am

Dingram wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:45 pm I'm just curious if a league's cost would dictate your style of play. During a rookie draft, messaging a leaguemate, we started discussing risk factors and weather or not the cost would determine one's style. It kinda got me thinking. All the leagues I participate in are the lower scale variety, between $25-$50. It's really not a big deal to "punt" a year or two to try to build a stronger team down the road. Honestly if I was paying $200, im not sure I'd take that route. Think I'd certainly try to win earlier. It kind of got me to question my overall style of play. But isn't half the fun gambling on rookies and rookie picks? Even after we've been burned, time and time again. Can anyone speak to this? Anybody play in multiple leagues, and maybe alter their style of play for their "big money" leagues?
Cost factors into it for me. I don't often punt any leagues but it is much harder to swallow when it costs 200 dollars. I tend to be less risky in those leagues and am more likely to use my picks to buy known assets. I leagues that cost less I am much more risk tolerant and tend to take chances I don't in more expensive leagues.
Worked out for me last year after having to rebuild a team (2 years later) in a 200 dollar league but we'll see if I can maintain my advantage
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 am

Look, let me put it another way:

Fantasy football is a hobby, plain and simple. There isn't a realistic way to play FF and subsist, and the amount of time that we put into it is never paid back by the winnings that we make. It's a hobby. Budget accordingly so that you can enjoy it the most.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 am

maxhyde wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 am
Dingram wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:45 pm I'm just curious if a league's cost would dictate your style of play. During a rookie draft, messaging a leaguemate, we started discussing risk factors and weather or not the cost would determine one's style. It kinda got me thinking. All the leagues I participate in are the lower scale variety, between $25-$50. It's really not a big deal to "punt" a year or two to try to build a stronger team down the road. Honestly if I was paying $200, im not sure I'd take that route. Think I'd certainly try to win earlier. It kind of got me to question my overall style of play. But isn't half the fun gambling on rookies and rookie picks? Even after we've been burned, time and time again. Can anyone speak to this? Anybody play in multiple leagues, and maybe alter their style of play for their "big money" leagues?
Cost factors into it for me. I don't often punt any leagues but it is much harder to swallow when it costs 200 dollars. I tend to be less risky in those leagues and am more likely to use my picks to buy known assets. I leagues that cost less I am much more risk tolerant and tend to take chances I don't in more expensive leagues.
Worked out for me last year after having to rebuild a team (2 years later) in a 200 dollar league but we'll see if I can maintain my advantage
This is pretty much the world I've always lived in. In my "high stakes" leagues, I've been much more risk-adversed. I try to balance it out, because they give me a different thrill with a lot of money (for me) on the line. I'm much more driven by analytics in those leagues, too, it seems. I use my cheaper leagues as my "fun" leagues where I can take risks and over-pay for "my guys" in certain scenarios. I'm trying to change, though, as I bought the 1.01 and 1.05 in one of my high-stakes leagues, and they'll be the first and second first round pick that I've ever actually "used" to draft a player. I usually prefer to auction them off for proven assets, so we'll see how it goes.