McCaffrey vs. Mixon - who ya got?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Sgtpsych
Role Player
Role Player

Re: McCaffrey vs. Mixon - who ya got?

Postby Sgtpsych » Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 pm

The one thing that really is huge for me is the intelligence. Stanford is a pretty good school. The guy is articulate and knows football. I saw some clips with him at NC before leaving from Colorado. I hope either CMac or Mixon drops for me at the 1.05.
Team 1-
12 team standard dynasty 6 pt - td, .1 per rushing yd, .1 per receiving yd. .04 per passing yd , 24 player roster
1 qb, 2 RB, 2 wr, 1 TE, 2 flex
QB-Russell Wilson, Tom Brady
RB-Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt,Thomas Rawls,Jerick McKinnon, Chris Carson, TJ Yeldon, Aaron Jones
WR-OBJ, AJG, NUK, ARob, Mike Williams, Josh Gordon, Marqise Lee, Willie Snead
TE- Jimmy Graham, Coby Fleener, George Kittle, Tyler Kroft
K- Harrison Butker
D-Carolina Panthers, Jags
2018 1st and 4th

Team 2-
QB- Winston, Prescott, Flacco
RB- Freeman, Fournette, Montgomery, Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Washington, Procise, Lacy, Starks, Conner
WR- NUK, Doctson, Ross, Aghlor, Treadwell
TE - Engram, Davis
D- Giants,Chiefs
K- Gostkowski

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't think McCaffery can just pack on a few extra pounds. His parents and siblings all have same lean body type. I think he's at his peak. Not sure the Panthers weight room can offer him anything more than his former WR dad could.

Bengals spending a 2nd rd pick on Mixon even with the PR hit is nearly as much draft capital as the Panthers spent. McCaffrey was likely to go top 15. Mixon's range was 2nd to undrafted. Based on projections of where they might go, Bengals spent more.

The difficulty in projecting McCaffrey is that the Panthers have never had a RB of that type. They then doubled down and added Samuel. Takes some faith that the QB will be able to succeed with this type of weapon. Stewart is also still in the pic.

Mixon is a bit easier to project as he's basically the best qualities of the current Bengals RBs and should be able to duplicate what they do if not better.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but if I was on the clock, I'd probably take Mixon. Just seems maybe more durable but that's a guess.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm

onetwothree wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm Bengals spending a 2nd rd pick on Mixon even with the PR hit is nearly as much draft capital as the Panthers spent. McCaffrey was likely to go top 15. Mixon's range was 2nd to undrafted. Based on projections of where they might go, Bengals spent more.
Carolina spent significantly more draft capital on CMC and if you don't think so ask yourself how many 2nd round picks around #48 a team would have to give to get #8 overall. In other words that is how many Mixon's the NFL thinks CMC is worth.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Wed May 17, 2017 11:35 pm

TTHTD wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm
onetwothree wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm I don't think McCaffery can just pack on a few extra pounds. His parents and siblings all have same lean body type. I think he's at his peak. Not sure the Panthers weight room can offer him anything more than his former WR dad could.
His dad was 6'5", I don't think you can really compare their frames... It also not about the weight room, but now it's literally his job to be in the best possible shape to do his job which is be an RB in the NFL instead of being a college kid/college ball player. He can definitely get bigger. To me the question is how much does it effect his athleticism.
onetwothree wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm Bengals spending a 2nd rd pick on Mixon even with the PR hit is nearly as much draft capital as the Panthers spent. McCaffrey was likely to go top 15. Mixon's range was 2nd to undrafted. Based on projections of where they might go, Bengals spent more.
Carolina spent significantly more draft capital on CMC and if you don't think so ask yourself how many 2nd round picks around #48 a team would have to give to get #8 overall. In other words that is how many Mixon's the NFL thinks CMC is worth.

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 am

JohnZoidberg wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm CMC
Player Profiler: Duke Johnson
Mock Draftable (Take This w/ a Grain of Salt): Smallwood, LaMichael James, Barner, Gaffney

Mixon
PlayerP: Elliott
MockD: Larry Johnson

I have the exact same situation, 1.03/Non-PPR, and am heavily leaning Mixon. The only worry I have is, sure he compares to Zeke but Cincy's OL could be atrocious. To piggyback, a lot of analysts like CMC and maybe it is because he's the safer selection, if Mixon has turned a corner and those incidents were isolated, he has the ability to be great but CMC doesn't come with those off-field flags that can screw over your team.

The bold part right there, I have heard numerous analysts put CMC over Mixon but I have also heard them qualify it with "if not for the off the field issue" or "talent alone Mixon is probably the #1 back in this class". They have that benefit, if Mixon breaks out and does become the #1, they'll simply be posting Rookie Redraft articles and pods in December like "well in hindsight obviously we're taking Mixon at 1.01".

I've seen that in years past and I actually get annoyed at "Rookie Redraft" content, like HOW does that help me now for you to admit in December that no no THIS so and so player is who I should have taken at this spot. And that's the thing to if Mixon is the next Zeke out of this class, people are going to be so butt hurt at analysts, and not even realize they've given themselves an out. Go re-read all these analysts putting CMC over Mixon and see how many have ALREADY qualified that selection with "CMC is safer" or "If not for the off the field issues" or "if puts that all past him" etc etc etc. If Mixon becomes the #1 many are already positioned to say they saw this as a possibility but went with the safer option because you know risk appetite.
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am

Wait one second there boys and girls...
If most 'experts' and other forums most often go McCaffrey over Mixon... Doesn't that make the Mixon supporters the free thinkers and the McCaffrey supporters sheep/pawns? And I rarely see reasons for the McCaffrey supporters position, just that they like McCaffrey more because.... IDK haven't gotten much reasoning out of them other than Mixon has off field issues (why do we pluralize it? It happened once...) and has a worse situation (debatable but I can respect both sides' conclusion to the point)
Edit: Where is my kermit tea emoji at???

I'll do a quick breakdown of who I think is better where
McCaffrey
Receiving (Mixon is still a very good receiver out of the backfield but McCaffrey has it here IMO)
Work ethic (not that Mixon is a slouch, but McCaffrey has been praise for his work ethic a lot)
Explosiveness (Better Jumps therefore better propulsion)
Hitting the hole (McCaffrey does everything he can to hit it as hard as he can, Mixon kind of waits a bit too much for a better look at things and that gets him in trouble sometimes)
Mixon
Size (Bigger, plus I don't think McCaffrey can add on as much weight as people claim here, he has been praised for his workout intensity, I doubt he can get any bigger than he is now just because he goes to a new gym)
Speed (Mixon alleged mid 4.4s teams adjusted to 4.7, McCaffrey ran a 4.8 but is smaller so Mixon wins absolutely and size adjusted I bet)
Patience (McCaffrey has good patience but Mixon just has better patience)
Vision (Refer to Patience reasoning)
TD upside (not capped by other players as much as McCaffrey, roughly the same TD Totals in college but Mixon had fewer touches and more competition for TDs)
More elusive in tight spaces and open field (McCaffrey is good here, but Mixon is great here)

For me, Mixon checks more boxes that are more important to me, and a lot of his faults on the field (waiting too long on interior runs) can be coached out pretty easy. Plus the whole draft capital thing is a poor comparison because Mixon had 0 chance of first round because of the video. I guarantee you if McCaffrey hit a girl on camera and Mixon was a good boy, Mixon would be top 10, arguable with Fournette for real life football, and McCaffrey would have fallen further than Mixon did. And I bet without the video Mixon would have been first round. So you have to look at the draft capital spent with a grain of salt, Cinci didn't only pay 48th overall for Mixon, they took a LOT of heat for picking him, and the NFL is ruled by the court of public opinion, so an argument can be made that Cinci paid near EQUAL to what the panthers had to give up.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 am

#SHEEP #PAWNS

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu May 18, 2017 1:04 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am Wait one second there boys and girls...
If most 'experts' and other forums most often go McCaffrey over Mixon... Doesn't that make the Mixon supporters the free thinkers and the McCaffrey supporters sheep/pawns? And I rarely see reasons for the McCaffrey supporters position, just that they like McCaffrey more because.... IDK haven't gotten much reasoning out of them other than Mixon has off field issues (why do we pluralize it? It happened once...) and has a worse situation (debatable but I can respect both sides' conclusion to the point)
Edit: Where is my kermit tea emoji at???

I'll do a quick breakdown of who I think is better where
McCaffrey
Receiving (Mixon is still a very good receiver out of the backfield but McCaffrey has it here IMO)
Work ethic (not that Mixon is a slouch, but McCaffrey has been praise for his work ethic a lot)
Explosiveness (Better Jumps therefore better propulsion)
Hitting the hole (McCaffrey does everything he can to hit it as hard as he can, Mixon kind of waits a bit too much for a better look at things and that gets him in trouble sometimes)
Mixon
Size (Bigger, plus I don't think McCaffrey can add on as much weight as people claim here, he has been praised for his workout intensity, I doubt he can get any bigger than he is now just because he goes to a new gym)
Speed (Mixon alleged mid 4.4s teams adjusted to 4.7, McCaffrey ran a 4.8 but is smaller so Mixon wins absolutely and size adjusted I bet)
Patience (McCaffrey has good patience but Mixon just has better patience)
Vision (Refer to Patience reasoning)
TD upside (not capped by other players as much as McCaffrey, roughly the same TD Totals in college but Mixon had fewer touches and more competition for TDs)
More elusive in tight spaces and open field (McCaffrey is good here, but Mixon is great here)

For me, Mixon checks more boxes that are more important to me, and a lot of his faults on the field (waiting too long on interior runs) can be coached out pretty easy. Plus the whole draft capital thing is a poor comparison because Mixon had 0 chance of first round because of the video. I guarantee you if McCaffrey hit a girl on camera and Mixon was a good boy, Mixon would be top 10, arguable with Fournette for real life football, and McCaffrey would have fallen further than Mixon did. And I bet without the video Mixon would have been first round. So you have to look at the draft capital spent with a grain of salt, Cinci didn't only pay 48th overall for Mixon, they took a LOT of heat for picking him, and the NFL is ruled by the court of public opinion, so an argument can be made that Cinci paid near EQUAL to what the panthers had to give up.
:clap:

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am Wait one second there boys and girls...
If most 'experts' and other forums most often go McCaffrey over Mixon... Doesn't that make the Mixon supporters the free thinkers and the McCaffrey supporters sheep/pawns?
What on earth are you talking about :lol: You're comparing the characteristics of analysts instead of players. If I tell you I like Watkins over OBJ are you gonna concede that you're a sheep and I'm a free-thinker? Watkins arguably has a higher ceiling than OBJ but OBJ is the obvious choice when you're picking between the 2 due to safety and higher floor.

nathanq42 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am I guarantee you if McCaffrey hit a girl on camera and Mixon was a good boy, Mixon would be top 10, arguable with Fournette for real life football, and McCaffrey would have fallen further than Mixon did. And I bet without the video Mixon would have been first round. So you have to look at the draft capital spent with a grain of salt, Cinci didn't only pay 48th overall for Mixon, they took a LOT of heat for picking him, and the NFL is ruled by the court of public opinion, so an argument can be made that Cinci paid near EQUAL to what the panthers had to give up.
You do realize that unless you have been employed as an NFL scout or head coach that your guarantee has no actual value, right? You're argument is entering the realm of pure speculation. Believe what you want but the Panthers have much more invested in CMC than Cinci has in Mixon and your argument seems to be 'but in a parallel universe things might be different' and also demonstrates a lack of understanding on how draft capital in the NFL works. The NFL is ruled by money and reputation - not public opinion. Spending a top 10 pick on an RB is not even close to spending a mid-2nd on a talented guy with PR issues, not by a long shot and no amount of logical gymnastics is going to change that. People can get fired or have their reputation ruined by screwing up top 10 draft picks. The fact that people are unironically applauding this absurd line of logic is... well, telling to say the least.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

TTHTD wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm
If most 'experts' and other forums most often go McCaffrey over Mixon... Doesn't that make the Mixon supporters the free thinkers and the McCaffrey supporters sheep/pawns?
What on earth are you talking about :lol: You're comparing the characteristics of analysts instead of players. If I tell you I like Watkins over OBJ are you gonna concede that you're a sheep and I'm a free-thinker? Watkins arguably has a higher ceiling than OBJ but OBJ is the obvious choice when you're picking between the 2 due to safety and higher floor.

nathanq42 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am I guarantee you if McCaffrey hit a girl on camera and Mixon was a good boy, Mixon would be top 10, arguable with Fournette for real life football, and McCaffrey would have fallen further than Mixon did. And I bet without the video Mixon would have been first round. So you have to look at the draft capital spent with a grain of salt, Cinci didn't only pay 48th overall for Mixon, they took a LOT of heat for picking him, and the NFL is ruled by the court of public opinion, so an argument can be made that Cinci paid near EQUAL to what the panthers had to give up.
You do realize that unless you have been employed as an NFL scout or head coach that your guarantee has no actual value, right? You're argument is entering the realm of pure speculation. Believe what you want but the Panthers have much more invested in CMC than Cinci has in Mixon and your argument seems to be 'but in a parallel universe things might be different' and also demonstrates a lack of understanding on how draft capital in the NFL works. The NFL is ruled by money and reputation - not public opinion. Spending a top 10 pick on an RB is not even close to spending a mid-2nd on a talented guy with PR issues, not by a long shot and no amount of logical gymnastics is going to change that. People can get fired or have their reputation ruined by screwing up top 10 draft picks. The fact that people are unironically applauding this absurd line of logic is... well, telling to say the least.
Sense > fabrication

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

spotxc wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm
TTHTD wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Sense > fabrication
I'm not sure how Watkins has a higher ceiling than OBJ, but ok?

Also, I think the Bengals taking Mixon with a 2nd round pick, when not many teams had him on their board, is a very strong investment. Especially when you consider the backlash it could have had with fans and marketing. Not going to argue whether it's a bigger investment than CMC at pick 10, but it's definitely not very far off when you consider everything involved. Also, Tavon Austin was the 8th pick in the draft. That doesn't automatically make you good. Even the experts reach sometimes and make mistakes.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 pm

^in 2014 draft, were u drafting obj over watkins or the other way around. Make sense?

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm

spotxc wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 pm ^in 2014 draft, were u drafting obj over watkins or the other way around. Make sense?
Except he wasn't saying this about 2014. He's saying that now. So, no, doesn't make sense.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm
spotxc wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 pm ^in 2014 draft, were u drafting obj over watkins or the other way around. Make sense?
Except he wasn't saying this about 2014. He's saying that now. So, no, doesn't make sense.
Also, in 2014, Watkins was the "safer" player and had the higher perceived floor over OBJ as well, so still not making sense if he was referring to 2014.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm

can't spell it out to you any better there buddy, so no use...just some advice, try to understand before trying to argue, if u can't understand, then yes argue but seems like you have it the other way around...Should help you out more in providing a valid argument...And if thats not the case, then ur probably worse off than anticipated and comprehending isn't a strong suit of yours.