Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby lukeb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm

balaberda wrote:No like I said its an opinion and no WZA I didn't play him haha. This guy who people got in the 2nd round or 3rd of Rookie drafts may never have more value is all I am saying.

If I had him I would be shopping him hard that is all. Nothing against people who thing he has a bright future either but I wouldn't want to risk it that is all.
Wait so do you think that his value is at a all time high or do you think he's going to bust?
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm

The Brown's management is being replaced, which means Shurmur is done, which means Weeden is almost certainly done as well. That's not a situation I want a piece of.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Well if his value is at an all time high doesn't that mean the same thing?

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm

balaberda wrote:Well it is just an opinion but
1.The fact that he wasn't drafted has to help my argument.
2. Other than being wide open for some huge plays he hasn't done much in my mind
3. I haven't seen him burn anyone and it was the blown plays that turned into big plays.
4. The Browns

Like I said it is just an opinion but guys who get wide open for big plays and don't show anything else don't have beast upside.

1. This is a bogus "fact". He decided after the NFL Draft to join the NFL because of financial reasons so he entered the Supplemental Draft and was drafted as a 2nd rounder. I guess Victor Cruz or Arian Foster or any of the other great undrafted players in the NFL suck because they didn't get drafted...
2. There is a reason why he was wide open on those plays...HE BURNED THE CB.
3. See #2. Seems like you really haven't seen him actually play. They weren't all "blown plays."
4. This should actually help him. The Browns will likely be trailing in most games and will need to throw the ball a lot. More targets potentially equals more production.

"Beast upside"? Nobody is saying he's the next AJG or Julio or Megatron. We're just saying all the signs are there for a productive WR. Whether he's a WR1, WR2, WR3, or WR4 remains to be seen, but he's certainly not a "BUST" six games into his career. The arrow is only pointing up IMO.

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby lukeb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 pm

ericanadian wrote:The Brown's management is being replaced, which means Shurmur is done, which means Weeden is almost certainly done as well. That's not a situation I want a piece of.
So if your rationale is not wanting a piece of a team is that they might be undergoing a QB change, doesn't that also eliminate such teams as ARZ, KC, JAX (off top of head)?
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 pm

WZA wrote:
balaberda wrote:Well it is just an opinion but
1.The fact that he wasn't drafted has to help my argument.
2. Other than being wide open for some huge plays he hasn't done much in my mind
3. I haven't seen him burn anyone and it was the blown plays that turned into big plays.
4. The Browns

Like I said it is just an opinion but guys who get wide open for big plays and don't show anything else don't have beast upside.

1. This is a bogus "fact". He decided after the NFL Draft to join the NFL because of financial reasons so he entered the Supplemental Draft and was drafted as a 2nd rounder. I guess Victor Cruz or Arian Foster or any of the other great undrafted players in the NFL suck because they didn't get drafted...
2. There is a reason why he was wide open on those plays...HE BURNED THE CB.
3. See #2. Seems like you really haven't seen him actually play. They weren't all "blown plays."
4. This should actually help him. The Browns will likely be trailing in most games and will need to throw the ball a lot. More targets potentially equals more production.

"Beast upside"? Nobody is saying he's the next AJG or Julio or Megatron. We're just saying all the signs are there for a productive WR. Whether he's a WR1, WR2, WR3, or WR4 remains to be seen, but he's certainly not a "BUST" six games into his career. The arrow is only pointing up IMO.
Ya totally fair but like I said I wouldn't want a piece of this. I would be moving him right now. He just seems like the next Finley. A guy who has so much upside for so long so he just stays on your Roster forever never to fully bust through. Obviously he isn't Finley because he has caught a ball but Finley just rots on peoples teams with the hope that I see Gordon now getting.

If you can get someone to buy in that he is a WR2 lock then you can get great value for him.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

WZA wrote:
knuckles50 wrote:I see quite a bit of Hakeem Nicks in him. Size, speed, separation, hands, running style, ball tracking, etc. Am I getting ahead of myself?
The Oracle would say "yes you are getting ahead of yourself...and you're an idiot." See previous Josh Gordon thread...

Just kidding Oracle
Not because of "getting ahead of one's self" but because they're not similar players. I like Gordon a lot, but the Nicks comparison is weird. Nicks runs the complete route tree in a pass-first offense; Gordon is a big fast guy who's caught bombs while defenses stack the box against Richardson.

This is about what I expected from Gordon- big plays, with his size and speed, smaller role in the offense, not a lot of answers. I could see a realistic upside as a Kenny Britt type minus the injuries- big plays and some big weeks with a significant number of duds mixed in. It's a shame for me that he broke out the big plays right before the trade deadline weeks, but as much as I like him I'd be selling right now if I could.

(For the record- I don't own Gordon but I did draft him. In my second sig league a friend taking over an orphan had me finish the last four rounds of his FA/Rookie Draft, and I snagged Gordon and Miller while people laughed and asked if I was tanking his team on his purpose. He went for $7 in my FA Auction in my first league (1st Round are $10 and 2nds are $5)- I let him go because Rudolph was still out there and I only had one non-K/DEF roster spot.)
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Two trains of thought on the kid is what I'm getting out of the posts here. It's personal preference at this point.

I'm on the side that is excited about this kid. Out of football for over a year with off the field issues isn't typically what I like on my roster, but to me it's different. If he was in his mid 20's and having off the field issues I would be more concerned. Plenty of kids do dumb stuff, I know I did. From what I read his whole path to the nfl opened his eyes and has humbled him to a degree.

I don't care that it was a LB he burned on his first TD, scored a garbage time 2nd TD, or burned a CB and a safety for his 3rd TD. They all count and they were all against NFL caliber players.

He's going to have ups and downs as every rookie does, but I think what we are seeing is his big play ability and a big reason he was a 2nd rd pick. He'll have to get better getting off press and running routes to get open in other ways, but that takes time to develop, especially since he was away from organized ball for a while. What can't be trained is the ability to track and close on a deep ball. Although a small sample size he showed a burst to close on his TD against Cincy along with fluidity that really amazed me and made me watch several times over on TiVo.

I'm buyin where possible because I think he has Brandon Marshall/Kenny Britt/Hakeem Nicks upside (I know some of those examples aren't the best as far as character is concerned). Whether he gets there or not will take care of itself before our eyes.

I don't think anyone is giving Gordon WR2 value at this point, but realistically what are going to get in return on a deal? A 2nd? I'd much rather keep him and see how he develops then have a crapshoot pick. At least we've seen him make plays at the highest level.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm

For all you sellers, what are you willing to moving him for? Just curious.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

hot nikkels wrote:For all you sellers, what are you willing to moving him for? Just curious.
Blackmon, Hill, Wright, any 1st round pick in 2013-2014, David Wilson. Would rather hold than deal for Floyd, Jeffrey.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

balaberda wrote:No like I said its an opinion and no WZA I didn't play him haha. This guy who people got in the 2nd round or 3rd of Rookie drafts may never have more value is all I am saying.

If I had him I would be shopping him hard that is all. Nothing against people who thing he has a bright future either but I wouldn't want to risk it that is all.
whats there to risk, most people got him off of waivers or at most spent a 2nd rd pick on him, i kinda lost, did u draft him 1.1?

joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joshb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 pm

??Droppedballs?? wrote:

whats there to risk, most people got him off of waivers or at most spent a 2nd rd pick on him, i kinda lost, did u draft him 1.1?
Exactly, I've got no risk. I spent little to nothing on him, so why not wait it out some to see if I hit big? He's shown more than I expected already for a super raw guy that was out of football for a year.
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Risk is that you could have traded him right around here to make someone over pay and if he fades then you missed an opportunity to gain some value.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I drafted him in the late first or early second in my three money leagues - 2 16 team, 1 20 team league. I drafted him because I thought he had a great chance to produce early and be a big play maker. I actually started him the past two weeks, partly because of injury to other players, partly because of bye weeks, but I could have gone out and gotten other players - he's just developing just as I hoped/expected.

I'm not trading him now unless someone comes and knocks my socks off with an offer.

-oo-

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 pm

One positive on Gordon -- to me he has already shown more than Little has in his short NFL stint thus far, and both guys had been out of football the year before the pros.