Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby joshb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:34 pm

If Weeden was any younger he would have gone much earlier in the draft. He's a good qb prospect, even if he won't be around as long.
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Green put up close to WR1 numbers with Dalton under center.
12 team dynasty ppr salary
1 Qb, 2 RB, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 3 dl, 3 lb, 3 DB
qb- Andrew Luck
rb- Foster, McCoy, Tate, Ryan Mathews, Bryce Brown, Jstew
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
Dl- Morgan, JPP,Jordan, McClellin, Groves
lb- DJ smith,Burfict, Weatherspoon, Bishop, Kendricks, Carter
db- Brown, McClain, Jenkins
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Captainzach1 wrote:Green put up close to WR1 numbers with Dalton under center.
Exactly...

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Brandon Marshall is another that had a terrible qb situation last year.

Bowe is another.

Steve Johnson didn't have a pro bowl qb.

Garcon's numbers were comparable to Julios....he had the worst situation of them all
12 team dynasty ppr salary
1 Qb, 2 RB, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 3 dl, 3 lb, 3 DB
qb- Andrew Luck
rb- Foster, McCoy, Tate, Ryan Mathews, Bryce Brown, Jstew
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
Dl- Morgan, JPP,Jordan, McClellin, Groves
lb- DJ smith,Burfict, Weatherspoon, Bishop, Kendricks, Carter
db- Brown, McClain, Jenkins
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

DRS540
Captain
Captain

Postby DRS540 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:02 pm

WZA wrote:
Exactly...
Gordon isn't AJ Green. I love Gordon's potential. But he is a project.
12 Team Keeper League/PPR after 3 Catches - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, DEF, K

QB: Derek Carr
RB: David Johnson, Joe Mixon, James White, Derrick Henry, Adrian Peterson, Alvin Kamara
WR: Keenan Allen, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant, Corey Coleman, Chris Hogan, Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Martellus Bennett, Austin Hooper
FLEX: Martavis Bryant
D/ST: Steelers
K: Cairo Santos

IR: Julian Edelman

2018 Keepers: TBD

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:17 pm

DRS540 wrote:
WZA wrote:
Exactly...
Gordon isn't AJ Green. I love Gordon's potential. But he is a project.
Nobody is saying Gordon is AJ Green. The point being made is that while it certainly helps, you don't need an elite QB to put up WR1 numbers.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:19 pm

WZA wrote:So only guys with the pedigree of Julio or Green are WR1 prospects...ok got it.

Tell that to guys like Greg Jennings, Victor Cruz, Steve Smith, etc.

Sorry, while I generally agree with what you're saying, it's a poor argument.

Let's not forget Cris Carter was a supplemental draft pick...
Very clearly not what I said. If you read even a little bit of that post, you'd see that it was primarily about the QBs those guys were playing with. Jennings and Cruz play with Rodgers and Manning. How good was Steve Smith the past three years with terrible QB play? WR1?

My point is not that only highly drafted WRs are WR1s, and not that only guys with great QBs are WR1s. It's that to project as a WR1, you either need to be a really, really special talent (Fitzgerald, Harvin with his rushing value), or you need to play in a good situation. The only guys I feel comfortable projecting as WR1s are AJ Green and Julio, and Gordon isn't that kind of prospect. His current situation has him with a sub-par QB playing opposite of a very comparably talented WR, so it's hard to imagine he's going to end up in a Bowe/Marshall situation where he just gorges on targets. (And for the record, those guys were WR2s.)

Being a WR2 is hardly an insult. There are really talented, useful guys in that tier. I just think it's unreasonable to predict that there will be a point in time where there are less than 10 WRs who are more productive than Gordon. When you look at the WR2s, (Marshall, Bowe, V. Jackson, Bryant, S. Johnson, A. Brown) do you really think there is a single Gordon owner who wouldn't be thrilled to end up with that type of production from him?

Note to WZA- you don't need an elite QB to put up WR1 numbers, but I think it's really, really tough to say that Gordon is talented enough to be a top 10/12 WR without playing with an elite QB.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:34 pm

TheOracle wrote:
WZA wrote:So only guys with the pedigree of Julio or Green are WR1 prospects...ok got it.

Very clearly not what I said. If you read even a little bit of that post, you'd see that it was primarily about the QBs those guys were playing with. Jennings and Cruz play with Rodgers and Manning. How good was Steve Smith the past three years with terrible QB play? WR1?

My point is not that only highly drafted WRs are WR1s, and not that only guys with great QBs are WR1s. It's that to project as a WR1, you either need to be a really, really special talent (Fitzgerald, Harvin with his rushing value), or you need to play in a good situation. The only guys I feel comfortable projecting as WR1s are AJ Green and Julio, and Gordon isn't that kind of prospect. His current situation has him with a sub-par QB playing opposite of a very comparably talented WR, so it's hard to imagine he's going to end up in a Bowe/Marshall situation where he just gorges on targets. (And for the record, those guys were WR2s.)

Being a WR2 is hardly an insult. There are really talented, useful guys in that tier. I just think it's unreasonable to predict that there will be a point in time where there are less than 10 WRs who are more productive than Gordon. When you look at the WR2s, (Marshall, Bowe, V. Jackson, Bryant, S. Johnson, A. Brown) do you really think there is a single Gordon owner who wouldn't be thrilled to end up with that type of production from him?

Note to WZA- you don't need an elite QB to put up WR1 numbers, but I think it's really, really tough to say that Gordon is talented enough to be a top 10/12 WR without playing with an elite QB.
Note to TheOracle - it's too early to say that. We all know most WR take 2 - 3 years to fully develop. I remember people giving up on Roddy White until he exploded in year 3. I'm simply saying we haven't seen enough of Gordon to write him off as not a WR1 prospect. If he wasn't a junkie and actually played football last year, we might be talking about him like he was Blackmon.

I don't have Gordon on my roster, so it doesn't matter either way to me, but so far I like what I see from a guy who hasn't played ball in a year and has a rookie QB throwing to him. And just like Gordon, we don't have a large enough sample on Weeden to label him a mediocre QB. At this point, yes I agree...he looks pretty mediocre, but he is a rookie.

I have to disagree with you about Greg Little. The guy has stone hands and I can't for the life of me understand why so many people on DLF love him. He's good enough to command enough attention to free up Gordon, but I think Gordon will bypass his at some point IMO.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes, theoretically Josh Gordon could become Randy Moss. Guys often end up being a lot better than you think they'll be. I think when you're playing in dynasty leagues though, you have to have a reasonable projection of a guy. Saying Gordon is not a WR1 prospect does not mean it's impossible and you're "writing him off". You're just saying that, looking at all the evidence, he doesn't fit in to the very small group of young guys who realistically have WR1 upside. That's a really special group- AJG, Julio, Harvin, Nicks, and then maybe Dez or, stretching it, Blackmon. To say Gordon fits in that group is being unrealistic.

As for saying that we might be talking about him like Blackmon if he wasn't a junkie and actually played football last year, well, he did fail a bunch of drug tests and he didn't play football last year. Those things really happened. I like him, but I honestly felt like I was too high on him calling him a WR2 prospect.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:27 am

Agree that it's easier to predict wr1 production when a pro bowl caliber qb is throwing the ball. I like Gordon. Seems like the Browns are pushing him to succeed and start opposite of Little. This duo will be very interesting next season. Both were out of football for a year. Holmgren is generally pretty good at drafting wrs and o line that fact alone perks my interest. Side note any one else notice that wr1 s are torching ravens secondary? This could help little n Gordon .
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby lukeb » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

I've watched the ones play in all 3 of Cleveland's games. Aside from reaffirming my belief that Weeden was a dumb pick, it seems like you can actually see Gordon improve. He gets better every game, at least from what I saw. I'm no scout though.
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:27 pm

TheOracle wrote:

actually jennings had favre, rodgers was yrs into his career

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Point stands that Jennings has played with elite QBs.

bbwayne
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bbwayne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Gordon is already a wr1 on the Browns although that is not saying much. Even Mass has looked better then Little this preseason. I don't get the Little love.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Wow, those of you arguing with TheOracle in this thread just look silly. Every point he made was well thought out and very realistic. You're seriously going to come down on him because he projected a rookie on a bad team a year removed from playing football as more likely to have WR2 than WR1 upside? Unreal.

Yeah, Gordon COULD be a WR1 this year. He COULD be the #1 scoring player in all of fantasy football. Blaine Gabbert COULD be the highest scoring QB in fantasy this year too. That still doesn't mean you would or should predict/project it that way.

If anything, I think WR2 upside this year and next for Gordon is overly optimistic. It's very possible of course, but as of now I'd have a hard time expecting him to be anything more than a WR3. And it's not like WR3 is something terrible, that's the range of Dez Bryant, Laurent Robinson, Garcon, Wayne, Lloyd, Djax, Crabtree, DHB, and Torrey Smith last year.