Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Josh Gordon Suspended 2 games

Postby Euclid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:05 pm

This is total conjecture, but it could be possible that using a banned substance that you have a prescription for but failed to inform the NFL may give the offender a chance at a reduction in punishment.

shady23
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby shady23 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Euclid wrote:This is total conjecture, but it could be possible that using a banned substance that you have a prescription for but failed to inform the NFL may give the offender a chance at a reduction in punishment.
It's amazing how many players seem to have this happen to them! Codeine, Adderall! It's like the agents and the players control the narrative of what the substance is and why they tested positive!

derekwillet
Captain
Captain

Postby derekwillet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:09 pm

One interesting note that I haven't seen mentioned is that codeine cough syrup can be legally purchased without a prescription in the state of Ohio. I wouldn't be shocked to see his lawyer (or the Player's Union) fight this suspension on the grounds that he purchased it legally.

I live in North Carolina, which is one of the other four states where codeine cough syrup can be purchased without a prescription. When I buy some for the occasional bad cold, I just go to my friend's pharmacy and buy some. I am required to show id and sign a book that the pharmacy has to keep for reference. I'm not sure if that's a requirement in similar states, or just NC. Around here, it's not very common to find a pharmacist that sells it, and if they do, they usually only sell it to good customers or friends because it's a hassle to keep up with everything.
Codeine-containing cough syrups are schedule V drugs according to the FDA. The FDA regulates how these drugs may be obtained and used. Drugs on schedules I through V are listed in order based upon the drugs medical applications, possibility of addiction and other drugs included in the mixture of each particular class. Generally, the higher the number on the schedule, the less a drug is regulated.
Officially, schedule V drugs can be dispensed OTC--meaning they can be obtained from a pharmacist without a prescription. Over-the-counter drugs are not available on store shelves alongside other drugs that are not regulated; they are literally handed to the customer by the pharmacist after the pharmacist speaks with the customer, determines the need for the drug and offers advice and education on the use of the drug. Some states do not allow pharmacists to sell schedule V drugs without a prescription but some still do. Officially, the states where Codeine cough syrup can be purchased without a prescription are: Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina, Washington state and Massachusetts. The law does not require pharmacists to dispense schedule V drugs; the law merely allows the drugs to be sold in this manner. The sale of codeine cough syrup is limited to one bottle every 48 hours. Even though pharmacists may dispense schedule V drugs--including codeine-containing cough syrups--without a prescription, very few are willing to do so. Some pharmacists feel that it attracts an undesirable clientele--as many addicts share information on which pharmacies sell the drugs and may patronize those stores heavily. Since it is also up to the pharmacist to determine who needs the drug versus those who may want the drug for another purpose, pharmacists often opt to sell it to no one over-the-counter because they do not want the responsibility of making that decision
Follow me on twitter - @dereksdaycare

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 pm

The above argument might hold some water if he actually got caught for codeine. That isn't the case here.

derekwillet
Captain
Captain

Postby derekwillet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Mangelo wrote:The above argument might hold some water if he actually got caught for codeine. That isn't the case here.
Maybe I haven't kept up with the story enough, but I was under the impression that what he failed for was not announced publically (in fact, I'm fairly positive that the CBA doesn't allow it)? In his statement, he said it was triggered by codeine, so I just assumed that was the reason. Granted, it is an NFL banned substance, so it would be tough to fight...but the fact that it's legal to purchase without a prescription in the state of Ohio could give his lawyers something to argue.

In fairness, I haven't really read anything new on the story over the past day or two, so I may have missed some additional news that came out.
Follow me on twitter - @dereksdaycare

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 pm

The codeine excuse is just that. Consider the source. It'sspin conjured by Gordon's camp. He plays a contact sport where guys are constantly getting injured and surgery. They pop pain killers all the time that are prescribed by the team dr. They even have medicine chests full of the stuff. When's the last time a player got suspended for Codeine? Not trafficking it, but actually having it in their system? Hell, even that dumbarse Jamarcus was hooked on that stuff for years and never got suspended. You can't believe everything you read. I'm surprised no one hasn't caught onto this yet.

I suspect the sad truth is Joshy boy got caught again for his favorite drug of choice. There must have been some mitigating circumstances, maybe he provided a diluted sample. Whatever it was, one more positive test and he's gone for a year, and he can't ever cycle out of Phase 3.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 pm

dlf_derekw wrote:I may have missed some additional news that came out.
Doesn't seem like it.

lostcause
Captain
Captain

Re: Josh Gordon Suspension

Postby lostcause » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Josh Gordon:

Kenny Britt 2.0

or

run-of-the-mill idiot?

YOU DECIDE.
I'd be more concerned about Gordon being one failed test away from a year long suspension.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:29 am

While codeine may be legal, the NFL still can ban it from use by players. I believe that defense has been tried and defeated before, though I can't recall who challenged it. The NFL and teams provide easy ways to check on a product to see if it meets their requirements.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:39 am

Pac_Eddy wrote:While codeine may be legal, the NFL still can ban it from use by players. I believe that defense has been tried and defeated before, though I can't recall who challenged it. The NFL and teams provide easy ways to check on a product to see if it meets their requirements.
Many NFL players undergo surgery. Many of these players get prescribed pain killers that are banned by the NFL. How do these players avoid punishment?

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Marijuana is legal in Colorado, but the NFL (and many, many other corporations) maintain the ban on its use by employees. Lawyers can try arguing anything, and will sometimes win arguments that perhaps they shouldn't. I doubt this suspension gets overturned because Gordon could have purchased it legally.

The guys seems to have a drug problem that goes back several years. And as so many drug users, he also has an issue with being truthful. It should not be a surprise if he violates the drug policy again.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Euclid wrote:This is total conjecture, but it could be possible that using a banned substance that you have a prescription for but failed to inform the NFL may give the offender a chance at a reduction in punishment.
I believe I read something to this extent last week. That the league only gave him two games because there was enough validity to his story to provide a reasonable doubt as to whether he made an "honest mistake" or was actually abusing the drug. I don't think you're off at all. I think that's exactly why he received the reduced suspension.

By the same token though, he's in Stage 3 now, and that's no joke for his career moving forward.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Crazylegs
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Crazylegs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote:
I believe I read something to this extent last week. That the league only gave him two games because there was enough validity to his story to provide a reasonable doubt as to whether he made an "honest mistake" or was actually abusing the drug. I don't think you're off at all. I think that's exactly why he received the reduced suspension.

By the same token though, he's in Stage 3 now, and that's no joke for his career moving forward.
So given the above info. bottom line, how much has this affected his value in Dynasty, isn't that the question we are working towards here? What are people's thoughts? Hold? Who would you sell him for now, if you could get a decent price from a "Gordon believer"?

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Crazylegs wrote: So given the above info. bottom line, how much has this affected his value in Dynasty, isn't that the question we are working towards here? What are people's thoughts? Hold? Who would you sell him for now, if you could get a decent price from a "Gordon believer"?
If I was scared Torrey Smith?

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 am

Torrey Smith had a higher ADP before the suspension. Not to call you out, just interesting.

If you look below Gordon's ADP you see: Colston, Hilton, Wayne, Maclin, Stevie, Cordarrelle, Jennings, Britt, Shorts, Hopkins, DeSean, Wright. I think (edit)5 or 6 of those are good names to offer if you want to take a shot on Gordon.