Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Re: Why Josh Gordon?

Postby SpaderDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

He put up 50/805/5 in his rookie year and didn't even start at the beginning of the year. As the above post states, he did it with a rookie QB. Gordon has an ideal frame at 6' 3" and 225LB to be a WR 1 with better QB play. He also has great body control and can adjust to poorly thrown passes. I am buying Gordon where ever I can. It might be a good time to buy if an owner is spooked by his suspension and checkered past.

Dez Bryant had a line of 45/561/6 his rookie year for comparison. He did miss a couple games, so his stats could have been better, but he was also playing with a much better cast of characters including Romo and he started right away. Point is, they have a lot of similarities to their game and HAVE been compared in an article written by site staff recently.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 am

I don't think he plays with the same aggression as Bryant.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:26 am

georg013 wrote:I don't think he plays with the same aggression as Bryant.
I don't think 99% of the WRs playing the game play with that same aggression. He might be the most physical WR in the league.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:32 am

dynastyninja wrote:It seems like a lot of people really like Josh Gordon, and I was hoping to find out why. I haven't really followed him closely so I am curious.

It's not like he blew up the league. He didn't really even do well to finish out the season.

So, can someone tell me. Why is he valued so highly?

He was out of football for a year, got picked up by the Browns late in the off-season, still put up 800 yards and 5 TD's as a 21 year old rookie. Who would expect him to blow up the league as a 21 year older and being away from football that long? You shouldn't expect any rookie WR to blow up the league, let alone one with his situation. I get the off the field stuff, but I don't see how any of what he did can be viewed as anything other then highly impressive.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 pm

People love an underdog story. He was out a year, he was drafted in the supplemental draft, and he plays for the Browns. Ultimate underdog.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 am

The flip side of his numbers is about 160 of it came on 2 busted coverages and he had nobody else to compete with for targets on a bad team that was always behind.

He seems to have a lot of potential but it all depends if he can grow up. I sold him right around the time of his suspension as I felt he was a bit overrated. Seems as the offseason goes on people keep looking for the next guy to hype up, everyone on the forums agrees with each other and his value goes way up while never playing a game. Started with Wilson, then Lamar Miller, Cameron, etc, etc.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Flush Gordon

Postby KMA » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

All the promise in the world. Solid rookie season, perfect offensive system, running back to keep defenses honest, only 22 years old...enough to make me pay Fitz to acquire Gordon and a 2014 1st round pick. Now I'm looking back wondering if I made a HUGE mistake. I understand the season hasn't started but the suspension, knee tendinitis, and "supposed" poor work ethic SUCK. This is what happens during a long offseason. You do more than you need. Why? WIll this jack bleep figure it out?

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

spillertime
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Flush Gordon

Postby spillertime » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 pm

I hate to say it but you are right on. Fitz is one of the best to ever play the WR position and he's in his prime (albeit a bad situation)... but don't feel too bad, we all make bad decisions every once in a while. I personally sold Gordon when I had the chance. With that said I'm one of Fitz biggest supporters and own him in all 3 of my dynasty leagues
Sir Peyton 12 Team • 5th Year • Non PPR
2010: 8th | 2011: 11th | 2012: 2nd | 2013: 4th | 2014: 1st

QB1 Peyton RB1 Miller RB2 Ellington WR1 Thomas WR2 Hopkins WR3 Watkins TE1 Gronk
Reserves QB Someone Shitty RB Spiller, Mathews, Sankey WR Marshall, Fitz, Nicks, Landry, Richardson, Randle TE Walker

RonW15
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RonW15 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm

No he won't figure it out.... he just isn't wired right, the guy has a camouflage car
12 Team 20 man Roster PPR League
QBs R. Wilson, Kaepernick, Locker
RBs A. Morris, Hunter, R. Williams
WRs AJ Green, D. Thomas, V. Jackson, V. Brown, K. Wright, Givens, A.J. Jenkins, Kerley, Quick, T.Young
TEs Fleener, Gonzalez
PK Barth
DEF Jets
2009 Champion, 2011 Champion, 2012 Runner Up

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Disappointing...

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I'll buy if this news makes owners sell. Albeit not at that price, but I'll buy.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm not the world's biggest Gordon fan.

I can handle knucklehead to a certain degree (for example I always liked Dez, Marshall and I still like Britt to a decent degree), but serious substance abuse and especially questionable work ethic are the two things that scare me most.

Name one fantasy stud that has routinely been labeled as having questionable work ethic. I can't think of any off of the top of my head. There might be one or two, but they are few and far between and they lack longevity.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:06 am

Did I miss something? How are you upset about a trade in July? You don't even care to see the season play out then I guess? I just don't see any real reasons to be upset here, and if those reasons are all it took for you to regret it you probably shouldn't have traded all that for a player you didn't have much faith in.

WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 am

Water Buffalo wrote: Name one fantasy stud that has routinely been labeled as having questionable work ethic.
"labeled as" not verified 100% as

Percy Harvin
Randy Moss
Brett Favre

I agree though. As a dynasty owner, I want guys who want to work. Take Dez vs Britt for example. Both have some weird brush ins with the law that make you question their maturity/decision making, but Dez is a workout warrior and Britt skipped at least one rehab (probably not the first), got fined, and then publicly complained about it.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 am

How do we know he has questionable work ethic again? I'm starting to think maybe I'm missing something about Gordon this off-season that I need to be filled in on. If somebody can be out of college football for over a year(keep in mind when you aren't in the program it's incredibly hard to stay in shape, which is why guys like Dez, Mathieu, Big Mike Williams and others were out of shape by their pro days), miss all of OTA's and mini camps as a rookie, come in around Training Camp time, ascend up the depth chart and produce 50/805/5 as a 21 year old rookie, he would probably have to be one of the most physically talented players in the entire NFL. I mean come on, think about that for a minute.

So maybe someone could just explain that to me. A guy with a poor work ethic gets kicked out of school and becomes fat, lazy, slow, and out of shape. Especially for that length of time. He doesn't do what Gordon did at his age in that amount of time. I don't need any rumors or sources to put the pieces to that puzzle together.