Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stapel0
Starter
Starter

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby stapel0 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 am

kmbryant09 wrote:I read the SI article, and came away impressed with Gordon.

Could he still be a knucklehead and screw up with drugs in the future? Of course.

But to me, his past issues seemed to be a result of a young kid making bad decisions in the face of adversity. Everything I've seen from him on the field, and heard about him off the field, he seems to really have matured. As the above poster mentioned, he doesn't celebrate garbage time TD's by beating his chest. He runs over to help other teammates up. He goes over and celebrates with other players when they make a play. He's saying all the right things in interviews.

I feel a lot, A LOT better about his off-the-field concerns now than I did 6 months ago.
I get a similar impression.

Even for the non-believers, the longer he goes without an issue, the better people will feel about him. If he makes it all of next year, even at only a top 10-15 level rather than top ~3 level of production, I think that will increase his value.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 am

IR1SH wrote:Jus came across this article.. Nothing groundbreaking, but everything I read/hear just seems like Gordon is on the right path moving forward.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/13/josh-gord ... ns-record/
Great read... I have Gordon in a couple of leagues and I'm so happy I do. I wish I could get him in my main league, but alas the owner is a Cleveland fan and already told me no way.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:31 pm

That PFF article is good, & the last article pretty much sums it up

Josh Gordon has officially moved into the category of scary, and at this stage only Gordon is capable of holding himself back. If he can avoid trouble and the impending one-year suspension should he run into it again, the Browns have themselves one of the league’s most dominant and irrepressible weapons.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Ah so now we've reached the point where all of the Josh Gordon owners want him to be valued like a mega-stud top 3 dynasty receiver despite the huge character risks.

So now we start talking about how he's not really a bad apple and he's done sooooo much maturing.

You know the same crap everyone was saying about Blackmon, how he dedicated himself to his craft during his suspension and really learned the error of his ways.

He's tested positive on multiple drug tests, even know he knew that he would surely be getting tested in that time frame. In other words - he's a moron.

The only question is whether he can contain his bad habits enough for the sake of 10's of millions of dollars he'll make, this remains to be seen.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

It's not that we want him to be valued there, he IS valued there. Every single top tier receiver has flaws. Megatron has his knees, which don't get better as you get older. Dez is a knucklehead, Julio scares me the most with the reoccuring foot injury. AJ is probably the safest, but his QB and earlier knee injury could become an issue. Gordon's is a suspension risk, but from all accounts he's been nothing but a model citizen both on and off the field. That's no different than a guy rehabbing from an injury. The dude is putting up ridiculous numbers with ridiculously bad QB's. He's with Calvin on a PPG basis. You may not like him and no one is saying you have to have him on your roster, but he is a top 2 receiver.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:20 pm

49ersFaithful80 wrote:Ah so now we've reached the point where all of the Josh Gordon owners want him to be valued like a mega-stud top 3 dynasty receiver despite the huge character risks.

So now we start talking about how he's not really a bad apple and he's done sooooo much maturing.

You know the same crap everyone was saying about Blackmon, how he dedicated himself to his craft during his suspension and really learned the error of his ways.

He's tested positive on multiple drug tests, even know he knew that he would surely be getting tested in that time frame. In other words - he's a moron.

The only question is whether he can contain his bad habits enough for the sake of 10's of millions of dollars he'll make, this remains to be seen.
I'm dying to call this hating but I hate when people pull out the "non-owner card" for guys I don't like. But this is hating at its finest. :thumbup:
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:54 pm

georg013 wrote:
49ersFaithful80 wrote:Ah so now we've reached the point where all of the Josh Gordon owners want him to be valued like a mega-stud top 3 dynasty receiver despite the huge character risks.

I'm dying to call this hating but I hate when people pull out the "non-owner card" for guys I don't like. But this is hating at its finest. :thumbup:
I'm still relatively new to the forum, but quickly realizing that 49ers emblem is a negative Nelson. He is salivating for Josh Gordon to screw up so he can scream I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:53 am

italian_stallion21 wrote:It's not that we want him to be valued there, he IS valued there. Every single top tier receiver has flaws. Megatron has his knees, which don't get better as you get older. Dez is a knucklehead, Julio scares me the most with the reoccuring foot injury. AJ is probably the safest, but his QB and earlier knee injury could become an issue. Gordon's is a suspension risk, but from all accounts he's been nothing but a model citizen both on and off the field. That's no different than a guy rehabbing from an injury. The dude is putting up ridiculous numbers with ridiculously bad QB's. He's with Calvin on a PPG basis. You may not like him and no one is saying you have to have him on your roster, but he is a top 2 receiver.

Comparing the risk involved with Calvin and AJG to Gordon is laughable.

You do understand that there are varying degrees of risk right? Gordon carries WAYYYYY more risk than these guys. Seriously? Calvin carries this level of risk because of his knees?

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:03 am

georg013 wrote:

I've already established (in this thread) that I own Gordon in multiple leagues...so I actually have quite a bit invested in him.

Once I again I'm not the type to overvalue players because they are on my squad and fill my head with fairy tales about how some retard who's failed multiple drug tests is actually an amazing person with great morale fiber.

Once again all the exact same things people were saying about Blackmon, people believe whatever they want to believe. People want Josh Gordon to be completely past his off the field issues so they will find any reason to believe that is true.

Do I know if he has matured? absolutely not, but in my experience change does not come easily.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:55 am

49ersFaithful80 wrote:Comparing the risk involved with Calvin and AJG to Gordon is laughable.

You do understand that there are varying degrees of risk right? Gordon carries WAYYYYY more risk than these guys. Seriously? Calvin carries this level of risk because of his knees?
I disagree with you 100%. CJ is 28 (going on 29 now) and does have bad knees. We all saw it the last few games... that's not good. AJG doesn't have the same risk. If anything, AJG is safer than all top WRs.

But Gordon only has the suspension thing, and he's 22. Did you even look into his history? Or are you just assuming things? He came from a TERRIBLE family life where everyone died. He turned to weed to calm down, and got booted. He was having a hard time balancing football with the drug that made his problems go away.

In the NFL, he was suspended for codene-covered medicine while fighting a flu. That's it. Have you seen his interviews? The man is mature and on track to be a stud for YEARS to come.

I though the same thing about him. One day I saw a small 5-minute interview and heard about his history on ESPN. I looked him up and read more, and I'll be damned, I was wrong. I traded Cobb for him and I haven't looked back. This guy is going to ROCK the NFL for several years to come.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 am

MEuRaH wrote:
49ersFaithful80 wrote:Comparing the risk involved with Calvin and AJG to Gordon is laughable.

I disagree with you 100%. CJ is 28 (going on 29 now) and does have bad knees. We all saw it the last few games... that's not good. AJG doesn't have the same risk. If anything, AJG is safer than all top WRs.

But Gordon only has the suspension thing, and he's 22. Did you even look into his history? Or are you just assuming things? He came from a TERRIBLE family life where everyone died. He turned to weed to calm down, and got booted. He was having a hard time balancing football with the drug that made his problems go away.

In the NFL, he was suspended for codene-covered medicine while fighting a flu. That's it. Have you seen his interviews? The man is mature and on track to be a stud for YEARS to come.

I though the same thing about him. One day I saw a small 5-minute interview and heard about his history on ESPN. I looked him up and read more, and I'll be damned, I was wrong. I traded Cobb for him and I haven't looked back. This guy is going to ROCK the NFL for several years to come.
Why are you stating this as fact?

You choosing to believe some BS excuse for using codeine for strep-throat is your choice, and 100% speculation. No one knows how or why he ingested this substance.

Personally, considering his extensive and continued drug use I would assume he was sipping that purple drank.

Blurbs like this from rotoworld also make me doubt his story.

According to ESPN Cleveland, suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon "gravitated to South Beach in south Florida" after having "virtually no leisure time away from football" as a rookie.
Per reporter Tony Grossi, Gordon began to "(run) with a different crowd" after being "shy and a bit of a loner" as a rookie. It resulted in a positive test for codeine, and reportedly has him one strike away from a one-year suspension. Gordon has also spent the past week mixing it up with Miami Heat "haters" on Twitter, which is a uniquely poor idea for a young athlete in Cleveland. Still only 22, Gordon needs to grow up in a hurry.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 am

When did Rotoworld become the Josh Gordon Wikipedia? Take what they print with a grain of salt. They are actually LEADING the Gordon hype charge. Down one minute up the next. That's RotoOpinion.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am

I really don't know what your point is. You needlessly refer to Gordon with derogatory terms to drive home your point that Gordon is a worthless human being(in your view). By your own admission you also say you own him in several leagues. If owners are grossly overvaluing him, then surely you can trade him away and make a huge gain from your point of view. Your ACTIONS do not match your words.
Last edited by dm1129 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 am

dm1129 wrote:
49ersFaithful80 wrote:[Something brilliant and insightful, I'm sure. I didn't bother to read it.]
You needlessly refer to Gordon with derogatory terms to drive home your point that Gordon is a worthless human being (in your view).
It's much more pleasant to read 49ers' posts if you mentally replace his many uses of "retard" with the word "dude". Better yet, there's this:
This post was made by 49ersFaithful80 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Maybe 49er is our old friend The Oracle :)