Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What would you trade for Gordon (Love and Hate)

Postby joeday » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 am

seleucus wrote:It might depend on my situation. He's a VERY high ceiling guy but a VERY low floor one too. In one league, I'm stacked at wide-reciever with AJG, Julio, Gordon, Keenan Allen, and Floyd. I've also got good depth. In that league, I don't know if there's anybody outside of Calvin who I'd trade Gordon for. It's not because I think he's worth that much, it's just that I already have solid WRs who could step in if Gordon were ever to be suspended so I'd rather take the flier on his potential for top 2-3 production than get someone who is a near lock for top 10/15 production (like Cobb, Cruz, etc...).

Now if I was in a situation where I needed a guy with fewer question marks because I didn't have much much/any wide-reciever depth. I'd might take Cobb, Cruz, Keenan+, or Alshon+ for Gordon.
Excellent analysis!
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

stapel0
Starter
Starter

Postby stapel0 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 am

Love him.

He's 22! He could get suspended for a full year and still have 2-3 more top 10 seasons ahead of him than AJ Green, Julio, Calvin, DThomas, etc.

I guess I could trade him if I got AJ Green + or Calvin back. Don't know what I'd do with a Julio offer.

Your situation does matter though. I have DThomas, Gordon, and injured Cobb, with Floyd and Shorts and Hopkins, so I can stand to lose him. Also, I think the longer he goes without getting in trouble, the more likely any suspension he does get for trouble would be less than 1 year. I've heard that a guaranteed 1 year suspension is not necessarily the case as time goes on.

IR1SH
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby IR1SH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 am

Love Him
I have him on my team.
I wouldn't actively shop him, but I would def listen to offers..
Rock bottom type offer where I would even consider to start negotiations would be something like a Cobb type + a high 1st round pick, and in all honesty it would probably take a Cobb type + 2x top 5 rookie picks for me to accept. I wouldn't sit here and say I need AJG ++ for him because nobody would even pay that.

If I were looking to trade for him, I probably wouldn't, only because of the price. It would take paying top 3 WR price for him, and If that's the case, well then I might as well as go with the proven commodity and go after Calvin/AJG.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby Jfever » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:22 am

I took it to mean he was referring to M.Williams as a wr3. Which I agree with. Seen him traded multiple times this past year and in each case I thought the team trading him away was getting the better end of the deal compared to the team that was receiving him. Not that he has no value in fantasy - just that his ceiling is limited imo. His injury has nothing to do with my opinion as I've felt this way since his sophomore campaign. Always has been seemingly TD dependent. He never really seemed like a top tier talent and was never really paired with a great passing qb or system. So - imo he is a wr 3 with a little game to game / weekly upside if he scores a td. Hopkins kinda is a wr3 for now... but he is young and I see as more of a wr2 with possible low end wr1 upside in the future. Just my opinion of course. I too would take the risk of Gordon, Blackmon, and Hopkins above M.Williams without thinking much about it at all.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 am

sct wrote:
wingnutty wrote:It is crazy that he is so young. I will admit that I am still fairly concerned about longevity due to his off-field issues, but his talent is to big to ignore. If he does get his stuff together, those of us who scooped him up could be reaping the benefits for, literally, a decade or more to come though. Time will tell...
An article is out explaining that his "automatic one year suspension" may likely be a myth.
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/10/29 ... n-long-ban
Here's a link that works. Good read; adds even more uncertainty to the situation, but in a way that helps Gordon's value.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

sct
Starter
Starter

Postby sct » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks Jules. Not sure what happened there. I had posted that link a couple weeks ago. I re-posted in response to the one guy's assertion that "If he ever tests positive for anything one more time in his entire career he's getting a year suspension."
12 team no limit keeper PPR
4patd, 6ruretd, 1/25 payd, 1/10 ruyd, 1ppr Start 1QB, 2RB,2WR,1Flex, 1TE,1k, 2idp
QB: Jackson, Cousins
RB: Fournette, AJones, Montgomery, Henderson, JWilson, Ingram, BScott, Vaughn, Benjamin
WR: Kupp, adams, DJMoore, Lazard, Campbell, Osborn
TE: Schultz, Knox

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 am

This thread reminds me a little of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56454
Remember when Cameron was on pace for 120 catches, 1440 yards, and 20 TDs?

He's certainly moving up my ranks, but I don't think he's cracked some of the more established dominant young WRs yet. Calvin, AJG, DemThom, Dez and I'd still put Julio ahead of him, but the foot injury risk % is approaching the Gordon off field risk %. He's in a tier of Fitzgerald, Cobb, Harvin, Cruz for me. Probably others in that zone, I'm just going off the top of my head.

Hard to quantify trades... if I have him, I want a little more than the tier of player I posted above. If I don't have him I want to trade a little less than the tier above (or get Gordon +).

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 am

sct wrote:Thanks Jules. Not sure what happened there. I had posted that link a couple weeks ago. I re-posted in response to the one guy's assertion that "If he ever tests positive for anything one more time in his entire career he's getting a year suspension."
Thank you for the post. Nice find.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

QuintorrisLopezJones
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby QuintorrisLopezJones » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:07 am

Depends on your mentality. I view all the big 5/6 wr's above any RB, not all feel the same way.

I love Gordon as much as anyone, I certainly wouldnt be looking to trade him, but if i were offered any of Dez, Calvin, AJG/Julio if I didnt own them already, or maybe DT, I would give up Gordon SOLELY because of the suspension risk. I owned Hernandez and just dont want another offseason issue to take away one of my players again, injuries are different. If someone was offering an RB, because of how I value wr vs any position id need a first on top of any RB. That being said, I probably wouldn't trade anything close to what it would cost becuase I'd be too scared to get burned.
10 Team League .5 PPR QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF
QB: Brees, Big Ben, Watson
WR: Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeVante Parker,Sammy Watkins, Michael Crabtree, Agholor
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Fournette, Lynch, Conner
TE: Travis Kelce , Hooper, Doyle
K: Bryant
DEF: JAX

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 am

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
Where do you rank Gordon and give us some not so obvious receivers you have ahead of him. These statements are getting old and nothing is being added to the conversation. Give us who you got. Would you rank Randle ahead of him? Austin? Jordy? Hopkins? Smith?
As is the case with any thread that 49ers post in. Where the 1 time he's right every one who didn't listen was idiots and we can ignore where his argument is either "Draft pickz statusszz!!" or "this is obviously what you should do here only an idiot doesn't see it". At least he's consistent. Somehow Justin Blackmon having an alcohol problem means that's how every other scenario will end up.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:38 am

JFever wrote:Wow. I don't think that is accurate to be honest. I don't think if he tests positive "anytime for anything in his entire career" he gets a year suspension. I think it's ok to have your opinion and I also think it's ok to take a conservative approach. But I also hope that you then are consistent and do not have Dez, Julio or DT in your top 5. What happens if Dez gets into a family argument over the holidays and smacks his mom? What does the NFL do? I see that as just as likely to happen. What if DT loses Manning and or has some re-occurring Achilles issues? Not that I think it will happen - I just cant say that it won't. Julio's foot... will it heal, will he reagravate it? NOt sure.

People that label an individual based on his or her actions from when they were 18,19,20,21 - must have forgotten what it was like to be that age. Simple as that. I strongly disagree with your above statement 49faithfull and think that you might have either - A. never made a mistake in your youth, B. Made mistakes but have forgotten them, or C. (most likely in my opinion), do not own Gordon on any team and thus are lower on him - making you slightly frustrated by the hype surrounding him and his value right now. To say that a 22 year old young man is a "huge moron".... Wow. I'm sorry but to me - that speaks volumes about the person's opinion who types that junk. He is an extremely talented kid who is in the process of growing up. Either roster him and hope for the best, or don't. Not a huge deal. If you don't like him fine. I don't think some fantasy football player has any need to call a young athlete a moron. There are no rules that say you have to rank him in the top 5, top 10, top whatever. Rank him where you want him. Most will recognize the risk reward in front of him and gamble on the kid because - he simply is "the" hottest thing going in dynasty right now.
Of Course I made mistakes in my youth, everyone has. But Josh Gordon has done more than that.

How stupid do you have to be to test positive for drugs after already getting tested positive and knowing you have millions of dollars on the line. That, in my opinion, is the definition of a moron.

and for the record I actually own Josh Gordon in multiple leagues, I'm not the type of owner who just overvalues (most people in this thread) players because they own them.

All I'm saying is you're taking on a ton of risk with Gordon. Comparing the risk he carries with any of the players you just mentioned is ridiculous. He could get hurt as well just like any of those players.

Josh Gordon likes doing drugs, that's why he tested positive on multiple occasions. If he tests positive again he's going to have big issues, I don't understand how people don't see the big risk there.

This is the exact scenario that Blackmon was in, I advised caution, and everyone said I was an idiot and that it was extremely unlikely he would be suspended again.

If I can get top 5 value for him, I'm certainly trading him.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

stapel0 wrote:Love him.

He's 22! He could get suspended for a full year and still have 2-3 more top 10 seasons ahead of him than AJ Green, Julio, Calvin, DThomas, etc.

I guess I could trade him if I got AJ Green + or Calvin back. Don't know what I'd do with a Julio offer.

Your situation does matter though. I have DThomas, Gordon, and injured Cobb, with Floyd and Shorts and Hopkins, so I can stand to lose him. Also, I think the longer he goes without getting in trouble, the more likely any suspension he does get for trouble would be less than 1 year. I've heard that a guaranteed 1 year suspension is not necessarily the case as time goes on.
Maybe I misread you, but are you saying you would need something with AJG or Megatron to trade Gordon? I assume I misread it, but who knows lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 am

49ersFaithful80 wrote:This is the exact scenario that Blackmon was in, I advised caution, and everyone said I was an idiot and that it was extremely unlikely he would be suspended again.
This is not true.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 am

49ersFaithful80 wrote:
JFever wrote:Wow. I don't think that is accurate to be honest. I don't think if he tests positive "anytime for anything in his entire career" he gets a year suspension. I think it's ok to have your opinion and I also think it's ok to take a conservative approach. But I also hope that you then are consistent and do not have Dez, Julio or DT in your top 5. What happens if Dez gets into a family argument over the holidays and smacks his mom? What does the NFL do? I see that as just as likely to happen. What if DT loses Manning and or has some re-occurring Achilles issues? Not that I think it will happen - I just cant say that it won't. Julio's foot... will it heal, will he reagravate it? NOt sure.

People that label an individual based on his or her actions from when they were 18,19,20,21 - must have forgotten what it was like to be that age. Simple as that. I strongly disagree with your above statement 49faithfull and think that you might have either - A. never made a mistake in your youth, B. Made mistakes but have forgotten them, or C. (most likely in my opinion), do not own Gordon on any team and thus are lower on him - making you slightly frustrated by the hype surrounding him and his value right now. To say that a 22 year old young man is a "huge moron".... Wow. I'm sorry but to me - that speaks volumes about the person's opinion who types that junk. He is an extremely talented kid who is in the process of growing up. Either roster him and hope for the best, or don't. Not a huge deal. If you don't like him fine. I don't think some fantasy football player has any need to call a young athlete a moron. There are no rules that say you have to rank him in the top 5, top 10, top whatever. Rank him where you want him. Most will recognize the risk reward in front of him and gamble on the kid because - he simply is "the" hottest thing going in dynasty right now.
Of Course I made mistakes in my youth, everyone has. But Josh Gordon has done more than that.

How stupid do you have to be to test positive for drugs after already getting tested positive and knowing you have millions of dollars on the line. That, in my opinion, is the definition of a moron.

and for the record I actually own Josh Gordon in multiple leagues, I'm not the type of owner who just overvalues (most people in this thread) players because they own them.

All I'm saying is you're taking on a ton of risk with Gordon. Comparing the risk he carries with any of the players you just mentioned is ridiculous. He could get hurt as well just like any of those players.

Josh Gordon likes doing drugs, that's why he tested positive on multiple occasions. If he tests positive again he's going to have big issues, I don't understand how people don't see the big risk there.

This is the exact scenario that Blackmon was in, I advised caution, and everyone said I was an idiot and that it was extremely unlikely he would be suspended again.

If I can get top 5 value for him, I'm certainly trading him.
Everyone knows there is risk involved. You said you own him so what kind of offers are you sending out while Gordon's value is sky high?

We can all sit here and talk about the past pretty easily. Stuff happened. That's the easy part. The question on everyone's mind is what value does he have going forward?

Are you offering Gordon to a Tavon Austin owner in a 1:1 deal? Randall Cobb? Michael Crabtree?
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 am

Lotto4Life wrote:
49ersFaithful80 wrote:This is the exact scenario that Blackmon was in, I advised caution, and everyone said I was an idiot and that it was extremely unlikely he would be suspended again.
This is not true.
Care to specify?