Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby sloth8u » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm

dm1129 wrote:I think Gordon could very possibly match if not exceed Dez Bryant in the future. I'm not saying I would trade Dez for Gordon today, but in a few years, it is entirely possible. Gordon is 22 years old and has only played in 19 NFL games. He was away from football for a year prior to entering the league last year as a 21 year old. He is averaging 101 yds/game so far this year to go along with 2 tds and 18 catches. In the past 16 games that he has played, his stat line is 62-1031-7. Keep in mind he accomplished this with the Cleveland QBs. I know he ran a 4.52 at his pro day, but he reportedly ran in the 4.3s in college. The reason I mention this is he always seems able to get behind opposing secondaries. He plays very fast. The obvious red flag with him is off the field. If he can stay clean, his future is extremely good. In the interviews I have seen of him, he does not come across as a 'knucklehead', so I hope he can stay out of trouble and turn into an elite NFL WR.
i dont want to chop down your tree here. but gordon is not the only wr to put up numbers like this right away. a guy that comes to mind is tbmw. im sure several others have aswell. i think we are all going a little overboard here on the gordon hype, putting him in the top 5 or so.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 pm

No way Gordon passes Dez. No way at all.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm

sloth8u wrote:
dm1129 wrote:I think Gordon could very possibly match if not exceed Dez Bryant in the future. I'm not saying I would trade Dez for Gordon today, but in a few years, it is entirely possible. Gordon is 22 years old and has only played in 19 NFL games. He was away from football for a year prior to entering the league last year as a 21 year old. He is averaging 101 yds/game so far this year to go along with 2 tds and 18 catches. In the past 16 games that he has played, his stat line is 62-1031-7. Keep in mind he accomplished this with the Cleveland QBs. I know he ran a 4.52 at his pro day, but he reportedly ran in the 4.3s in college. The reason I mention this is he always seems able to get behind opposing secondaries. He plays very fast. The obvious red flag with him is off the field. If he can stay clean, his future is extremely good. In the interviews I have seen of him, he does not come across as a 'knucklehead', so I hope he can stay out of trouble and turn into an elite NFL WR.
i dont want to chop down your tree here. but gordon is not the only wr to put up numbers like this right away. a guy that comes to mind is tbmw. im sure several others have aswell. i think we are all going a little overboard here on the gordon hype, putting him in the top 5 or so.
You could never chop down my tree, so no worries. I am fully aware other WRs have put up numbers early. I am basing this on what I see when I watch him play. The numbers are what they are.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Mike's second year was disappointing. That doesn't appear to be the case with Gordon. He has been money. I don't think TBMW comes close in terms of talent. Gordon is not Dez. That's a fact. But I think he can carve out a comparable nitch if he continues to improve, they bring in a Tony Romo +, and they set up a Truman Show like environment for Gordon like they do for Dez.
Last edited by KMA on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:23 pm

seleucus wrote:I'd say the big worry with him is the drug stuff and character issues. At this point it might be about 50/50 whether he's the next Dez or the next Britt.
Agree - but just remember they're going way, way, way out of their way to keep Dez from being stupid. So honestly, I don't like any of those guys on a dynasty team.

Redraft? Sure. But stay the heck away from my dynasty team!
Last edited by DLF3000 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I don't really see the Dez comparisons on the football field. Dez seems a little bit (short-area) quicker and just a physical beast with the ball in his hands.

To me, Gordon reminds me of stronger A.J. Green (with some polish needed, obviously). They've got similar size, but Gordon is a little stronger. They have great top-end speed to burn a CB, but also get up to speed fairly quickly.

I've really been impressed by Gordon's all-around game thus far. I've watched all of his snaps, and he's running nearly a full route-tree. He made a Bills CB look downright silly on a downfield juke (his drop, :sigh:). You watch him and his speed is apparent, but he's now using that speed to set up other routes - deep outs, comebacks, crosses, etc.

I thought I was optimistically high having him in the mid-teens in my dynasty rankings - now he's flirting with the top10. His off-field issues are definitely a concern, but nearly every player carries some risk (talent, age, character, drugs, situation, contract situation, etc.).
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Hakeem Nicks anybody? He was a beast for 2 full seasons. Had a bad injury plagued last season and now the Giants are terrible.

Now I get that injuries are just unlucky (and that nicks had the track record) but it can happen.

That said I would take the body of work vs. the chance he comes down to earth any day. Gordon is a player you should be buying period. But you should not be paying top 10 WR price for him (yet).

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 pm

cool_zapp wrote:I just wanted to see where everybody seems to rate Josh Gordon. I was reading an article earlier that said he could be the next Dez Bryant. I know that's a tall order but what are everybody's thoughts on him and why?
I don't see them having the same type of game. Just looking at him he looks like more like Brandon Marshall physically, but his running style and movement reminds me of Andre Johnson. I don't know if he'll get to their status, but he has the tools to get there.

Looking at the dynasty rankings on this site I personally think 12 is a good spot for him. If he continues to perform its realistic for me to put him into the top 10 after this season

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Imagine that...another Josh Gordon thread.

Josh Gordon is not Dez or TB Mike or AJ Green or anybody else. He's Josh Gordon.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:33 pm

In regard to comparing Gordon to Dez, I was looking at it a comparison of extremely talented WRs who are a risk because of off-the-field concerns. As far as playing styles, I do not see much similairty between the two.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

dynastyninja wrote:No way Gordon passes Dez. No way at all.
Agreed but he is much closer to that end of the spectrum than Britt's end. Gordon's talent is enough for me to ignore the off field crap. I'd pay top-15 prices for him at this point.

Edit: he's the DLF WR12. Tough to argue that. There's a pretty distinct tier drop off after Gordon IMO.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:56 am

To me, he reminds me if a Josh Gordon clone. His size, ability, and playing style are nearly identical to CLE's Josh Gordon. Unfortunately he has a lot of off the field issues and is a bit lacking in maturity. No one questions his skill and talent, but his common sense is the problem. I see him as a potential top 10 wide receiver with an average quarterback. I see why people compare him to Dez, but Gordon is Gordon is Gordon. I have him starting in my 10 team dynasty as a WR2 and have not been disappointed. If he keeps his head on straight he could be a a
WR1, probably near the top of the 2nd tier of WRs near Cruz and DThomas.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:11 pm

dynastyninja wrote:No way Gordon passes Dez. No way at all.

I simply don't agree with this. Gordon is light years ahead of where Dez was after 19 NFL games. You have to remember that Gordon only played one year of college football and then was away from football for a year, yet he put together a very good rookie year with a mediocre QB throwing to him. It a well known fact that after three years in the NFL, Dez was still only running a very simple route-tree. It has also been reported that Dez did not know the Cowboys' playbook his first two years in the league. All of this in spite of the fact that he had the entire Dallas Cowboys' organization behind him. Gordon matches or exceeds Dez in virtually all measureables. I also think he might already be a more complete route runner than Dez is today. I have seen a big difference in this area from last year. Simply put, the guy is developing as a football player rapidly considering his very limited experience. I'm not saying Dez is not going to have a great career. What I am saying is to dismiss the idea of Gordon surpassing him as though it's sacrilege, is short-sighted.
Last edited by dm1129 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:20 pm

DLF3000 wrote:
seleucus wrote:I'd say the big worry with him is the drug stuff and character issues. At this point it might be about 50/50 whether he's the next Dez or the next Britt.
Agree - but just remember they're going way, way, way out of their way to keep Dez from being stupid. So honestly, I don't like any of those guys on a dynasty team.

Redraft? Sure. But stay the heck away from my dynasty team!

Why exactly wouldn't you want Dez? When did he get suspended ever? When did he enter into the NFL's drug program? That's the biggest difference between the two for me. Gordon is 1 slip up away from a year long suspension and that just has to be taken into consideration with his value, if it wasn't for that he'd be even higher then he is now. I mean, honestly I don't get what else Gordon would need to do to be considered legit.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. I think his game speed is pretty amazing, his separation from DB's is evident and at his size he just blows by people. As if he'll end up Dez? He can be a Dez type of WR, which is a guy who offers top 5 upside, youth, and dominance for years to come. I can't really compare the two right now, only thing Gordon has going for him is a bad team and a ton of targets. I will say that there are very few guys I'd take over Gordon, I mean most people were putting Nicks right on the outside of their top 10 going into this year, and who would want Nicks over Gordon right now? So I'm fairly confident with the ability I've seen with below average QB play.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:38 pm

It's funny you mentioned Nicks. As you see my sig below those are my three starting wr's & I feel ALOT more confident with Gordon over Nicks at this point.