Bad Draft for RBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bad Draft for RBs

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:48 am

So I know we have a lot of mid-draft threads going, but man, how bad has this draft been for both rookie "stud" RBs, existing RBs, and even some of th mid-level day 2 players? In order:

Fournette to JAX:obviously not a Zeke to DAL ideal spot but they've already improved the line. Obviously this crushes Ivory and hurts Yeldon.

McCaffrey to CAR: whole thread for this. I don't think it's too bad and the draft pedigree is awesome, but J-Stew just became a bum.

Cook to MIN: abysmal landing spot. Maybe the worst run blocking O-line and Murray will have a role. This hurts Cook's value and murder's Murray's in one fell swoop.

Mixon to Cin: well we got him in round 2 so he's the 1.01, right? Nope. Almost as bad a landing spot as Cook. Terrible O-line and at least Gio to contend with. He should have early career production but it won't be near what people had hoped.

Kamara to NO: Yuck. Unless Ingram is headed out of town this is terrible. Even without Ingram Kamara has an early career ceiling as a third down back. Not exactly the landing spot you wanted if you had him as your 1.07 or even your 1.10.

Hunt to KC: now this spot is pretty good, but why Hunt!?!? He's basically on par with Ware. People will overdraft him as an inferior talent to a good situation. So Ware does take a hit here but you don't replace it with what we'd assume is RB1 potential.

Foreman to HOU: Argh. I've always been low on Miller and this move confirms he won't get the workload he received last year. Unfortunately a guy with great measurables and sky high potential is still sitting behind an established starter. Looks like you're going to have to wait on him a la Henry.

Conner to PIT: so I know Conner was probably best viewed as a backup RB predraft but now he sits behind one of the most utilized backs in the league. Fortunately injuries and pot make it likely he'll get playing time in some way, and PIT is a great spot. To me the worst part about this is not the landing spot but the player chosen. Why take Conner instead of a Perine? If we were hoping for a DeAngelo handcuff value situations Conner does not inspire me.

So there you have it. You can argue McCaffrey (I'll say he's in a good enough place) but really only Fournette got a "good" landing spot and even that's not really that great. Share if you disagree about any of them and why you might still like a guy more than his spot. I like Foreman despite Miller's presence but it will require patience.

UPDATE FOR DAY 3 BACKS

Perine to WAS: Finally a solid landing spot. My guess is you're going to have to target him in the late first if not mid-first to get him which likely means he'll be overvalued, but at least he should get immediate opportunity as a 2 down lead back which Thompson spelling on 3rd downs.
Last edited by jcc6fd on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Bad Draft for RBs

Postby onetwothree » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 am

I think it's just the pendulum swinging in the other direction after so much hype for this class. How many truly great landing spots were there? Most were tied to great QBs but they all had some drawbacks. Colts line isn't great and Gore still there. Packers have Montgomery. Raiders are going Lynch short term. Maybe Eagles?

The RBs mostly went about where they were expected to. If you believed in the talent before, that still hasn't changed. We just had way too much time to analyze things and come up with dream scenarios. It'll be fine again in a week or so when we start planning our rookie drafts. :thumbup:

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 am

I think you're way too hung up on day one production.

The landing spots do not change my rookie rankings much. The tiers are the same.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:24 am

You guys are being way too reasonable, lol. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but the wind has been taken out of this RB class's sails. Maybe this should have been expected as there are more bad situations than good. I just think we could have gotten much more
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 am

Drafts like this is a perfect time to sit back and remember that most of the time you gotta go with TALENT > SITUATION
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 am

All this tells me is that Zeke, Bell & DJ are locked in at the top 3 for a little while longer.

The hype for this class was already out of control, although it started to come back to reality as of late. The landing spots maybe allow people to take a step back and evaluate the talent a little more in-depth rather than buying into the hype (I have never believed this class was as stacked as people suggested).

RB is the fantasy position where situation is just as important as talent.
With that said, yes; talented players will prevail - but you cannot enter with the assumption that these RBs are going to enter these teams and overtake their counterparts. That is a very dangerous assumption to make as it often does not actually happen.

McCaffrey was in my consideration for 1.01 before; and he still is.
Not that it matters - since my earliest pick is 1.05 and I am now shopping the pick.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 am

I had really hoped that Mixon went somewhere else. I'm conflicted because I have 1.1,1.4,1.6, and I had moved towards taking Davis and best available rb at 4. My rb situation is abysmal as I have Miller, both Cindy backs and Booker. Do Inhave to take Mixon now at one? I'm not sure he'll be there at 4.

Westy22
Captain
Captain

Postby Westy22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 am

Chatting to some leaguemates they seem to not think anyone dropped much in terms of value as rookies, I disagree. The way I felt about a bunch of players predraft took a hit. Most notably Cook and Kamara. Foreman's spot is rough, but if Miller gets injured he will be a premium handcuff there and it will be good. Reminds me of Tevin Coleman (not as a player, but in situation).

Real bummer of a draft for dynasty.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 am

jimmychoi wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 am I had really hoped that Mixon went somewhere else. I'm conflicted because I have 1.1,1.4,1.6, and I had moved towards taking Davis and best available rb at 4. My rb situation is abysmal as I have Miller, both Cindy backs and Booker. Do Inhave to take Mixon now at one? I'm not sure he'll be there at 4.
Are you saying you're thinking of taking Mixon at 1? If anything for an RB needy team Fournette has been solidified as the number 1 pick so take him easily. Mixon should still be available at 1.04 if you want him, but let's say he get's taken 2-3. That just means one of either McCaffrey or Davis falls to you and I'd rather have either. Worst case scenario for you Mixon and McCaffrey go and you don't want Davis you still get Cook.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 am

Phaded wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 am All this tells me is that Zeke, Bell & DJ are locked in at the top 3 for a little while longer.

The hype for this class was already out of control, although it started to come back to reality as of late. The landing spots maybe allow people to take a step back and evaluate the talent a little more in-depth rather than buying into the hype (I have never believed this class was as stacked as people suggested).

With that said, yes; talented players will prevail - but you cannot enter with the assumption that these RBs are going to enter these teams and overtake their counterparts. That is a very dangerous assumption to make as it often does not actually happen.

Not that it matters - since my earliest pick is 1.05 and I am now shopping the pick.
How dare you insult the 2017 class? It's the deepest draft of all the times and you'll get 1st round value deep into the 2nd!! Stockpile picks while you can!!!!

My thought has always been that outside of 3-4 RB's in this class, there's a bunch of average talent lumped in. I think Fournette and McCaffery are the only two RB's who went into clear cut, Day 1 impact situations. Mixon could possibly overtake Hill for early down work, but Gio is still there. Cook's path is foggy, but he could take Murray. Outside of that, you're dealing with a lot of handcuffs and teams that could still spend higher draft capital on RB's down the road.

I still think Fournette is the 1.01, but I would hate to have to decide.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:57 am

I don't think the competition is much of a factor to me in Cincy as a landing spot. Hill is in the last year of his contract and this pretty much ensures he'll be gone. Mixon can overtake Hill this year and start putting pressure on Gio no later than next year. He won't be Elliot, but situations like that are rare. My bigger concern would be the Bengals refurbished offensive line.

Overall, this class took a hit when Chubb elected to stay in university for another year. It took another hit when Cook crapped the bed in the combine (though I like the thought of combine warriors Murray & McKinnon battling it out with college production Cook). That said, McCaffrey, Mixon & Fournette is a pretty solid top tier and there still remains a lot of depth.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am

lol fournette is not the 1.01.
Jags a nightmare spot.

Mixon should be 1.01 like he was for me pre draft. Bengals line sucks but so does fournette. And unlike fournette Mixon is an elite wr out of backfield and has elite teammates.
Aj green/eifer/Ross/Mixon might be a top 3 quartet of talent in the NFL at the skill positions.

(Full disclosure I hate the bengals)
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am

schiewerma21 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am lol fournette is not the 1.01.
Jags a nightmare spot.

Mixon should be 1.01 like he was for me pre draft. Bengals line sucks but so does fournette. And unlike fournette Mixon is an elite wr out of backfield and has elite teammates.
Aj green/eifer/Ross/Mixon might be a top 3 quartet of talent in the NFL at the skill positions.

Think you're in the minority here. Cin is a nightmare spot and the Jags just improved their O-line while Cincinatti has only made theirs worst. You could argue Davis for the 1.01 and many will take him there. Fournette is the best RB and the only top RB in a decent situation. Mixon has that O-line and Gio so even if you love Mixon's pass catching ability it's capped by a full time 3rd down back

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 am
Phaded wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 am All this tells me is that Zeke, Bell & DJ are locked in at the top 3 for a little while longer.

How dare you insult the 2017 class? It's the deepest draft of all the times and you'll get 1st round value deep into the 2nd!! Stockpile picks while you can!!!!

My thought has always been that outside of 3-4 RB's in this class, there's a bunch of average talent lumped in. I think Fournette and McCaffery are the only two RB's who went into clear cut, Day 1 impact situations. Mixon could possibly overtake Hill for early down work, but Gio is still there. Cook's path is foggy, but he could take Murray. Outside of that, you're dealing with a lot of handcuffs and teams that could still spend higher draft capital on RB's down the road.

I still think Fournette is the 1.01, but I would hate to have to decide.
knew you would be here ? hey how do you like ike ford's situation ?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:26 am

schiewerma21 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am lol fournette is not the 1.01.
Jags a nightmare spot.

everybody hates the bengals :shock:
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci