Draft winners and losers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Draft winners and losers

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 am

I'll try to stick to Fantasy winners and losers but I love Cleveland's and SF's moves last night.

Winners:
Corey Davis- slides in as immediate number one WR on an improving team with competent QB play. If he pans out there is WR1 potential easily there

Fournette- not a huge winner from a team situation standpoint. However avoiding the jets and 49ers is a plus and getting picked at 4 should put to bed any speculation that he wasn't the top back and an elite talent. He's still my 1.01 and Davis solidified as my 1.02.

OJ Howard- Love this landing spot. Talented gunslinging QB. Great WR1 to draw coverage, and DJax is an aging commodity. All this means is if OJ is the real deal that he has the opportunity to be a Fantasy TE1 for a long time. I want to move him up my board but I don't know if he can pass Mike Williams now.

Eli Manning - surely he has no excuse now for not having a dominate offense. They're legit super bowl contenders if they can get some help in the run game.

Losers
Ivory- just became a handcuff. Yeldon is hurt by this too, as he'll almost certainly never be an early down back unless another team gives him a shot down the line. Think Fournette becomes this offense now.

Sterling Shepard - this offseason he went from quality number 2 option to competing for third in targets with B marsh the unquestioned 2 and Engram being essentially a slot receiver. How and where will Shepard play?

J-Stew: obvious, but I think he's less of a loser than Ivory. Just don't know what his role will be with Cam still a TD vulture and McCaffeey the favorite for between the 20's duties.

All SD pass catchers especially Tyrell Williams - I know everyone hates this for Keenan, but he will still be viewed as their WR1 if healthy. My point is Keenan will still get his but those who thought Tyrell was the future and a competent number 2 just got a wake up call. The reality was SD was completely bare at WR last year and Ty did a good job when thrust into duty, but that's just it, he was a desperation play that they don't fully believe in. He's on the outside looking in for consistent targets
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

kasermap
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kasermap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am

I'm going to say the Browns are winners for not drafting a QB. Are any of the QBs in this years class really going to be better than Brock/Kessler this year? Probably not. As a Browns fan, we look setup to be taking Darnold/Rosen at the top of next years draft. I will gladly wait 1 year for a QB when it is between this years meh for what many consider next years gold.

For fantasy purposes
Winners:
Davis/Mariota- finally a real number 1 receiver
Rivers- another weapon
Winston/Eli- both got new toys this offseason in FA and the draft

Some trickle down winners
Rishard Matthews- no longer the clear number 1, but seems to have a good chemistry with Mariota and now Davis will have some double teams to take away from him
Ebron- the Lions not taking one of the top 3 TEs
Boyd/Eifert- Ross and AJ on the outside should open things up the middle for these two

Losers:
The Chargers receivers- a lot of mouths to feed
Cook- sliding into round 2, where does his slide end? What does this do to his stock?
Shepard- Marshall and Engram are bad news for him
Luck- he may just get killed again all year

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 am

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 am I don't think you can call Martin, Ware, & Crowell "winners" simply because their teams didn't draft a RB in the 1st round. What about round 2? 3? 4? They aren't winners, they just "haven't lost yet". That's a whole different category.
This is exactly what I thought. Thinking about Langford from last year after day one and day 2.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 am

Day 1 winners are Rivers & Mariota. Too early to name all the RBs who held on to their job for another day.
Big losers are Glennon, Yeldon, probably Boyd, Jonathan Stewart, possibly any Cleveland receiver.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 am

Winners - old QBs. Eli, Rivers got new toys to play with and will be less likely to be replaced or retire anytime soon.
Losers - FA QBs. Cutler, Kaep saw potential landing spots all fill up.

Winners - Us. What a fun 1st round to watch! Hope and excitement for everyone!
Losers - Us. We have no clue how all this will actually go and most of what we think now will probably be wrong same time next year. :biggrin:

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:06 am

In the "looking good, but not yet out of the woods" category:

Willie Snead
B Perriman
Q Enunwa

Not that these guys are studs in waiting, but at least their fantasy outlook is up (for now)

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 am

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 am I don't think you can call Martin, Ware, & Crowell "winners" simply because their teams didn't draft a RB in the 1st round. What about round 2? 3? 4? They aren't winners, they just "haven't lost yet". That's a whole different category.
Along this vein, I'll be particularly interested to see what the Steelers do in day two. If they don't take a WR, that seems like a solid vote of confidence for Martavis.

In fact unless they trade up from the 62nd pick, I'm already inclined to think of Martavis as a "winner".

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am

kasermap wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am I'm going to say the Browns are winners for not drafting a QB. Are any of the QBs in this years class really going to be better than Brock/Kessler this year? Probably not. As a Browns fan, we look setup to be taking Darnold/Rosen at the top of next years draft. I will gladly wait 1 year for a QB when it is between this years meh for what many consider next years gold.
This can't be stressed enough, Cleveland killed it last night.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 am

Agree with most of above comments from everybody. No love for the Bills? For once they seemed to not do a stupid Bills thing, which would be overdraft a QB. I know time will tell and it was not a blockbuster deal, but they filled their biggest need (CB) and picked up an extra 3rd this year plus an extra first next year. Even though it probably will be a late first, they will have ammo this year and next to build up the roster, plus an extra rookie (Ragland) and to some extent Lawson, from last year. I was pleasantly surprised as a fan.

Fantasy purposes, I do not have a ton more to add that has not been said. I think today will be interesting and am more wondering where Williams and the two TEs slot in rookie drafts, assuming Cook and Mixon go to decent to good destinations. I have a couple of 1.06's and a 1.07 to play with. Going to be a fun weekend.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

kasermap
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kasermap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:06 am

Never Veto wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am
kasermap wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am I'm going to say the Browns are winners for not drafting a QB. Are any of the QBs in this years class really going to be better than Brock/Kessler this year? Probably not. As a Browns fan, we look setup to be taking Darnold/Rosen at the top of next years draft. I will gladly wait 1 year for a QB when it is between this years meh for what many consider next years gold.
To build on this, the Texans went 9-7 last year. 8 of those wins came by 7 points or less and the other win was by 9 against the powerhouse Bears. Do we really expect Watson to be that much better than Brock this year? I would not be surprised for the pick to be a little higher than people think.

kasermap
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kasermap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am

Friction wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 am Agree with most of above comments from everybody. No love for the Bills? For once they seemed to not do a stupid Bills thing, which would be overdraft a QB. I know time will tell and it was not a blockbuster deal, but they filled their biggest need (CB) and picked up an extra 3rd this year plus an extra first next year. Even though it probably will be a late first, they will have ammo this year and next to build up the roster, plus an extra rookie (Ragland) and to some extent Lawson, from last year. I was pleasantly surprised as a fan.

Fantasy purposes, I do not have a ton more to add that has not been said. I think today will be interesting and am more wondering where Williams and the two TEs slot in rookie drafts, assuming Cook and Mixon go to decent to good destinations. I have a couple of 1.06's and a 1.07 to play with. Going to be a fun weekend.
I think the Bills did the right thing trading down, just kind of boring for fantasy purposes. The extra ammo should help them though and can probably use that third on a solid WR2 to put with Watkins.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am

It's gotta be a little bit frustrating as a fan though to basically concede the just concluded season and go into the next one with almost zero chance of winning. Getting additional draft picks is always a good thing but gonna need to cash those chips in eventually.

Looking similar to what the 76ers are doing in the NBA. Accumulate draft picks, get BPA and worry about fit and missing pieces later. The Process is still going years later...

kasermap
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kasermap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am

onetwothree wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am
It's gotta be a little bit frustrating as a fan though to basically concede the just concluded season and go into the next one with almost zero chance of winning. Getting additional draft picks is always a good thing but gonna need to cash those chips in eventually.

Looking similar to what the 76ers are doing in the NBA. Accumulate draft picks, get BPA and worry about fit and missing pieces later. The Process is still going years later...
The 76ers took similar players every single year, kind of like how the Browns kept taking QB after QB. I think the general consensus is that next years QBs blow this years away. I am guessing we were going to take Trubisky, but when the Bears moved up and took him our plans changed. If Peppers was the next player on our board then it makes sense what they did. A QB was not going to make this team an instant winner. Plus the cost to move up to say 2 just to get Trubisky would have most likely included 33 and possibly our first next year. That is a huge gamble for a guy with tons of question marks.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am

At the rate things are going the Browns will have their team solidified by the time they get that QB, which is a good thing, this wide eyed QB won't be expected to carry the team right off the bat. I really like what's going on in Cleveland.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 am

onetwothree wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am Looking similar to what the 76ers are doing in the NBA. Accumulate draft picks, get BPA and worry about fit and missing pieces later. The Process is still going years later...
To an extent, perhaps, but not exactly...

When Cleveland came back into the league 20ish years ago the process of getting players was crap. There was a documentary put together at one point which highlighted why the methodology basically screwed the Browns royally and they would have been just as well off with an empty roster (more or less). Now add in bad ownership, bad leadership, bad coaching, bad front office, etc, etc...this has been a team making the same mistakes over and over and over. A lot of this changed a year ago..the only question is whether or not they will stay the course (which has been the problem).

I had some reservations with the front office decisions a year ago. Most notably, I did not like them trading out of taking Carson Wentz. I still don't. That was almost on the level of passing on Donovan McNabb is favor of Tim Couch, a decision I was EXTREMELY critical of from day one. That said, in the bigger picture, it sounded like there was a different approach going on and that the idea that just getting a QB would fix the problem was finally abandoned. The Browns absolutely need a QB...but they also need a lot more.

So the methodology has continued into the current year's draft. Garrett was the correct selection and no one should have been close to consideration with him at #1. I do believe that the plan was to move up and take Trubisky. When Chicago came out of left field, the front office could have panicked and reached for the eventual bust in Mahomes or settle for a mid/low tier option in Watson. Instead they moved down, added another 1st round pick a year from now, and used the "Tom Landry" approach of grabbing a versatile, talented athlete in Peppers. While Peppers may be a bizarre choice for many teams, Cleveland needs pretty much everything so I'll gladly take a guy who can do almost everything. Of course they then identified Njoku as a player they really wanted and moved up to get him. Just a guess, but they probably felt they needed to move ahead of the Steelers to ensure the selection.

The only way this works out is if this continues to be the long term plan. Jimmy Haslam needs to keep his nose out of things the next few years and just let the current front office work. So far there is plenty of promise. If a year from now there is talk of changing course or replacing Hue Jackson, we're hosed for another 10 years.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.