Value of TEs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kramer
MVP
MVP

Value of TEs

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm

In leagues where there is no TE premium, what do most people value various TEs at? My general feeling from my 10 team superflex league is that people don't value TEs much at all and that I could most likely get the top TE (maybe not a healthy Gronk, but someone like Kelce) for a mid 1st. There are also owners who say that they'd never give up a 1st for any TE not named Gronk. The reason I bring all this up is because, people are taking the TEs in this class starting with pick 7. This almost feels like peak value if everything goes right early on. I could see people taking TEs early on if there is a TE premium, but in leagues where you only need to start one TE and the top players don't outscore the lower tier players by a ton (unless you're Gronk), why would anyone invest such a high pick on a TE? A player like CJ Fiedorowicz could be picked off the waivers and produce well enough for a team every year probably.

Note: I've tried to get the commissioner in my league to add in some sort of TE premium as the position seems very devalued right now the way it is set up, but haven't been able to get any traction at this time.

P.s. Mostly wondering all this as I wanted to see if it would be good to trade Eifert away and get a player who is worth more (i.e. maybe a Derrick Henry), but that's a question for another post in the Team Advice section, unless someone wants to comment on it here :whistle:. I would have the draft picks to pick up a TE or two if I did trade him away.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Value of TEs

Postby onetwothree » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 am

It'd be nice to have a set it and forget it guy you can just slot in at TE. I've done the TE streaming thing with a CJ type where you hope to get that TD that nets you the points you want out of that lineup spot. Obviously very hit or miss. The top guys just give you a higher and more consistent floor so you should win that slot majority of the weeks.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 am

I can tell you, even when we switched to TE premium 3-4 years ago, it wasn't as impactful as I hoped. All it does it make the best ones better. The ones that suck still suck. So trade value-wise, they're still moved only rarely, just like before.

So I stacked 3-4 TEs for a while, but I've since stopped doing that. Not worth it. Nevermind there's a slew of startable TEs these days and you rarely ever start two, even in TE premium.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 am

What value in terms of picks do TEs have in your leagues generally? What would you say Kelce is worth? Just trying to see how much higher the value of one of the better established TEs is compared to where the rookie TEs are going to be drafted.

I swear I'm the worst at evaluating TE values.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 am

Rookie TEs fall often to rounds 2/3 and occasionally 4 in our drafts, and that's TE prem.

Ebron was a late 1st in ours, only one I remember that early. ASJ was an early 4th. Most fall in between.

Mostly about the supply at TE these days. There are metric tons of startables and a tiny # of studs (which would probably cost a 1st). Truth is you usually get by just fine without a stud, TE prem or otherwise.

It's that being true for TE prem in my experience that's disappointing.
Last edited by DLF3000 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 am

Are the rookie TEs just being mocked so early due to a lack of landing spots to bump players such as Kamara/Foreman/Ross?

Personally I don't want to ever take a rookie TE earlier than a late 1st. Not at pick 7 or 8 as that seems too early even for the best of prospects.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am

Kramer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 am Are the rookie TEs just being mocked so early due to a lack of landing spots to bump players such as Kamara/Foreman/Ross?

Personally I don't want to ever take a rookie TE earlier than a late 1st. Not at pick 7 or 8 as that seems too early even for the best of prospects.
Historically TEs who are selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft have had a high rate of success. Not ALL of them, by any means, but I believe the success rate blows away the numbers by positions such as WRs and RBs as far as the offensive skill positions. With someone like OJ Howard potentially being a top 10 pick in the NFL, he should provide a very safe pick in the middle/latter part of the 1st round of a dynasty rookie draft.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

Yep skip is on point here. Top TE's tend to always pay dividends but may not be immediately.

I however almost ignore the position in drafts...alot like QB in 1QB leagues. I will end up drafting TE's in the later rounds I think are good fits with where they end up but usually lean to the all round TE's (blockers/catchers) and avoid the joker types. Blocking plays a huge role in how much the guy is on the field and you need to be on the field to make plays...not to say the role TE's aren't useful but definitely tougher to predict their usage and # of snaps.

A guy like Howard though I will take if I feel like he is better than my other options but seems most are willing to take the leap before I am
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm

maxhyde wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am Yep skip is on point here. Top TE's tend to always pay dividends but may not be immediately.

I however almost ignore the position in drafts...alot like QB in 1QB leagues. I will end up drafting TE's in the later rounds I think are good fits with where they end up but usually lean to the all round TE's (blockers/catchers) and avoid the joker types. Blocking plays a huge role in how much the guy is on the field and you need to be on the field to make plays...not to say the role TE's aren't useful but definitely tougher to predict their usage and # of snaps.

A guy like Howard though I will take if I feel like he is better than my other options but seems most are willing to take the leap before I am
Thoughts on engram? I doubt any team is dumb enough to se him as a blocker, but I think engram would be good for giving a solid chip then go on his route or split out like a wr 90% of the time. If he was designated as a pure wr I bet he would be a top 7 pick in a fantasy draft.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm
maxhyde wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am Yep skip is on point here. Top TE's tend to always pay dividends but may not be immediately.

Thoughts on engram? I doubt any team is dumb enough to se him as a blocker, but I think engram would be good for giving a solid chip then go on his route or split out like a wr 90% of the time. If he was designated as a pure wr I bet he would be a top 7 pick in a fantasy draft.
Yeah I mean essentially he is Jordan Matthews size and style to me give or take. Big fast slot WR but if he goes to a team that has little on the outside to scare teams away he might struggle. Also it isn't the same playing slotWR/jokerTE as being a WR so IF a team decides to try him at WR who knows how that transition would go. Other owners are definitely going to draft him before me because all those IF's add up to the type of uncertainty I won't use a premium pick on and I expect he will go very soon after Howard in rookie drafts. Love the size speed combo but positional fit is so important at that position in particular.

I assume the team drafting him sees a move/joker TE and is keeping him there. IF they can will work him out in practice/camp (away from media if possible) as a WR and see how far he needs to go. Some teams I would be much more likely to draft him earlier than others.
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm ...but I think engram would be good for giving a solid chip then go on his route or split out like a wr 90% of the time. If he was designated as a pure wr I bet he would be a top 7 pick in a fantasy draft.
Shouldn't that inflate his value if he's a TE but can play like a WR (not the other way around)? Everyone would take a TE that produces similar to WRs.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Kramer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm ...but I think engram would be good for giving a solid chip then go on his route or split out like a wr 90% of the time. If he was designated as a pure wr I bet he would be a top 7 pick in a fantasy draft.
Shouldn't that inflate his value if he's a TE but can play like a WR (not the other way around)? Everyone would take a TE that produces similar to WRs.
True but my point was if i found a wr that was 6'3 235 and ran a 4.43 40 and could already work the middle of the field and could work on his outside game, I'd be all over that
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm
True but my point was if i found a wr that was 6'3 235 and ran a 4.43 40 and could already work the middle of the field and could work on his outside game, I'd be all over that
Problem is he is a bit raw even as a TE. WR has a bit different technique and may not be easy transition in his wheelhouse. Maybe but no idea...

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:18 pm

maxhyde wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Problem is he is a bit raw even as a TE. WR has a bit different technique and may not be easy transition in his wheelhouse. Maybe but no idea...
Fair point, idk about that kind of stuff, I just figured since engram was primarily used as a receiver it wouldn't be a bad transition
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:52 pm

You'd think there'd definitely be risk involved with transitioning to a WR. He'd be facing different coverages, running different routes, etc. I'd rather grab someone who's a solid receiver, but could block as well. Having a TE doing WR stuff sounds a lot better than having a WR doing TE stuff. What happens if he completely transitions to WR? You lose the TE positional advantage and he may not have the same upside at WR as he might've had at TE, just due to position scarcity.

But to get back to the topic, in a 10 team league, what's the most you'd pay for one of the better TEs? As mentioned above, it sure feels a lot like QBs in 1QB leagues. While the higher end players have a slight edge, it doesn't feel enough to warrant paying a ton for.