Importance/Value of Top Tier QBs in 2QB/SF

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
roseyknee
Role Player
Role Player

Importance/Value of Top Tier QBs in 2QB/SF

Postby roseyknee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:44 am

Is it worth paying the prices for Elite QB1s in 2QB/SF leagues? In 1QB leagues, I think general consensus is that it's ok to wait until the later rounds to take a QB rather than invest early in Luck/Rodgers since QBs put up similar-enough production in the top12. Shouldn't the same reasoning apply still apply in 2QB league? Obviously, you want to have two solid starters and I understand the scarcity of the position, but is it worth paying for the elite guys when you could similar production with 2 lower-end QBs? How much of an advantage does Luck+Flacco give you over Stafford+Rivers (don't hold me to these players specifically-trying to compare an elite/meh QB pair with a decent/average QB pair). IMO, its mostly an age thing, so you don't have to worry about replacing a QB for 5-10 years.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Importance/Value of Top Tier QBs in 2QB/SF

Postby Valhalla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 am

Very important. The positional ppg advantage of a top 3-4 QB over your average starting QB even in standard is HUGE. Close to a reliable 4ppg difference between your average of the top 4 and your average of 8-12. In a superflex, this becomes even more of an advantage.
That 4 ppg is very difficult to beat elsewhere. Even if AB gets you 14ppg, there are plenty of WRs out there that can get you 10. My point with that comment is an elite QB can give you a huge advantage, just like a wr like AB. The value of an elite scoring QB IS huge, and their devaluation, to me, has never made sense looking through a positional ppr advantage lens.

The trick is, can you reliably draft/trade for the right QB that WILL give you those elite ppg above his position? Well, not always, but QB is historically more predictable than other positions. And there is one guy right now that is as safe to be elite at his position as AB. Go get Rodgers if his owner doesn't realize the value. He has provided a huge ppg advantage over his average peer QB every year but in 2005, when his line was decimated. I think he finished as the #7-8 QB that year, in his worst (non-injured) year in his career.

timmahawk
Starter
Starter

Postby timmahawk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 am

ARod kept me competitive last year with otherwise a roster full of underachieving WRs (Hopkins, Watkins, Jeffrey, Cobb, Matthews). Finished 4th overall, so I'd say it was extremely important having him.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 am

Absolutely. They play longer than most positions if they are good and have fewer injury concerns than WR/RB/TE.
When they have a down year they provide no advantage and may hurt you even (WIlson/Newton) last year but the gamble is that won't happen more than a couple times over their careers
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 am

Valhalla wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 am Very important. The positional ppg advantage of a top 3-4 QB over your average starting QB even in standard is HUGE. Close to a reliable 4ppg difference between your average of the top 4 and your average of 8-12. In a superflex, this becomes even more of an advantage.
That 4 ppg is very difficult to beat elsewhere. Even if AB gets you 14ppg, there are plenty of WRs out there that can get you 10. My point with that comment is an elite QB can give you a huge advantage, just like a wr like AB. The value of an elite scoring QB IS huge, and their devaluation, to me, has never made sense looking through a positional ppr advantage lens.

The trick is, can you reliably draft/trade for the right QB that WILL give you those elite ppg above his position? Well, not always, but QB is historically more predictable than other positions. And there is one guy right now that is as safe to be elite at his position as AB. Go get Rodgers if his owner doesn't realize the value. He has provided a huge ppg advantage over his average peer QB every year but in 2005, when his line was decimated. I think he finished as the #7-8 QB that year, in his worst (non-injured) year in his career.
This^^^ I totally agree!
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am

Simply put, the "consensus" is wrong in 1QB leagues​, extrapolating the problem if you apply that idea to SF or 2 QB leagues.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:18 pm

To me, the value is 4x as great in a 2QB league (and maybe 3x in an SF).

Why? In a 1QB league, you're comparing that #1 QB to the #10/#12. Yes, there is a big difference (and I am a huge proponent of investing in elite QBs in a 1QB league!), but it's a difference that can be overcome since there are usually at least 10/12 reliable options out there -- if not a few more. But, when you get down to #20/#24, the gap is MASSIVE. That doubles the value of a single QB in a 2QB/SF league.

Then, you double it again since you are starting two QBs.

Look, in a 1QB league, you can make up the points from QB1 to QB10/12. In a 2QB/SF league, you can't have two QBs in their teens and expect to compete. Your loss against a team with two top-10 QBs is nearly insurmountable.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:26 pm

skip wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am Simply put, the "consensus" is wrong in 1QB leagues​, extrapolating the problem if you apply that idea to SF or 2 QB leagues.
The consensus is not wrong. This depends on scoring of course, but in a typical 1QB league the QB1 might outscore the QB15 by only 100 points per season. This is less than the top WR/RB outscore the average starter. And since QB15 is likely to be on someone's bench (unless it is a large league) they probably won't hold much trade value. Compare this to a 2QB league where QB1 outscores QB30 by 250 points and you see why they are more important in larger or 2QB leagues.

These days in most seasons there are 15-20 very good QBs, so any league that starts less than that number will have points on the bench readily available. Any league that starts more than 15-20 QBs means that QB values escalate faster than any other position. Now, if this is a Superflex league instead of a 2QB only league then you have to compare that to a flex starter instead of to QB30, but since QB1 tends to be the highest scoring player in any format it generally means that their value still goes up relative to other positions.

Basically what I'm saying is that QB value is highly dependent on the number of starters in your league. 16 seems to be the tipping point where QBs become much more valuable.