Top 20 Dynasty QB Rankings?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Top 20 Dynasty QB Rankings?

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:12 pm

I think you're higher standing is closer to the mass consensus based on the rankings and ADP I see around. Let's be honest here, only three people have actually put forward any list (one with him at 3), while the others seem to be commenting on one off's and holding their's close to the chest. If more were up I'm sure most would have him top 5. I'm not looking to be bold here, and I do expect his production to be quality the next three seasons, but when he's over 30, still an inconsistent passer, and isn't getting the rushing yards/TDs...what happens? What if Fournette goes to Carolina this week? Is Cam still the goal line guy? Do they bother risking him taking those hits? I'm not discounting his past production...I just worry about the not too distant future. The coaching staff already wants him to cut down on the hits, which i'm sure they do, but they also want to win games. Only time will tell.

I agree with you on not feeling 100% confident putting those other guys ahead of him too. I'm not sure that Winston has the upside. Not sure what the future holds for Cousins or if he's a true semi-elite talent. I worry if Mariota can take hits outside the pocket, though he's more Russ Wilson than Cam Newton in terms of abuse he takes on them and not planned QB runs. Carr I feel more comfortable with, if not from a ceiling perspective but at least from a floor view. It also is silly to discount the next few years when Cam could be MVP form potentially...but I'm just not his biggest backer. None are without risk.

Hopefully I've clarified my view a little better in an attempt to make it less 'funny', rather just a different opinion that has some supporting rationale to it. If not to all, then at least to some. I certainly don't expect to always be consensus or 'right'.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Why do people have Luck over Rodgers? At this rate in this new shiny pass happy league why isn't Rodgers a unanimous #1? He's 33 but that's prime time for a QB these aren't RBs or even WRs we are talking about. This is a QB. How can he not be seen at this point in time to have another 7 years in him? Can we honestly believe with the abuse Luck is taking that he has 7 years in him? I'll take an older QB with a beastly OLine over one that is being dished out a constant rate of punishment that is 6 years younger. The goal is to win right? Not constantly sit on a player that can't play a full season because he's getting beat up all the time especially at QB. That's scary. If people really value him so highly they better have a beautiful reason why because there shouldn't be one knowing how much punishment this kid is taking. Age should matter less with a QB more than any other position minus kicker. Look at Brady and Bree's currently? They don't seem to be declining at this point. Coaching and OLine just matter so much to me when it comes to a QB. I might be one of the few I guess. It shows me that the front office and coaching staff actually likes you....
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:39 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:12 pm I think you're higher standing is closer to the mass consensus based on the rankings and ADP I see around. Let's be honest here, only three people have actually put forward any list (one with him at 3), while the others seem to be commenting on one off's and holding their's close to the chest. If more were up I'm sure most would have him top 5. I'm not looking to be bold here, and I do expect his production to be quality the next three seasons, but when he's over 30, still an inconsistent passer, and isn't getting the rushing yards/TDs...what happens? What if Fournette goes to Carolina this week? Is Cam still the goal line guy? Do they bother risking him taking those hits? I'm not discounting his past production...I just worry about the not too distant future. The coaching staff already wants him to cut down on the hits, which i'm sure they do, but they also want to win games. Only time will tell.

I agree with you on not feeling 100% confident putting those other guys ahead of him too. I'm not sure that Winston has the upside. Not sure what the future holds for Cousins or if he's a true semi-elite talent. I worry if Mariota can take hits outside the pocket, though he's more Russ Wilson than Cam Newton in terms of abuse he takes on them and not planned QB runs. Carr I feel more comfortable with, if not from a ceiling perspective but at least from a floor view. It also is silly to discount the next few years when Cam could be MVP form potentially...but I'm just not his biggest backer. None are without risk.

Hopefully I've clarified my view a little better in an attempt to make it less 'funny', rather just a different opinion that has some supporting rationale to it. If not to all, then at least to some. I certainly don't expect to always be consensus or 'right'.
Totally understand. Perfectly reasonable logic and I don't fault people for downgrading him. The whining about hits/lack of flags got to me this year more than anything but not changing my fantasy ranking over it
Anyway I will post my list as I think I have sorted out my QB situations in most of my leagues.
---only guys I see as equal to or above elite WR's in SF (likely top 10QB finishes if healthy)---
ARod - most fun QB to watch since Favre. Just oozes talent and makes average players look like superstars
Wilson - smart and poised. Makes plays and puts his guys in position to make plays.
Luck - too many hits to be #1. As a coach I am saying we'll take an INT over some of those hits...so throw it away early if it isn't there
Newton - as above. Highest upside in 4pt PaTD's
---pretty big gap here and order hasn't been totally thought out but 50-75% should be top 10---
Carr - terrific arm and tough. Room to grow but will he? Likely finishes top 10 if he plays week 17
Winston - showing leadership as a kid. Making the whole team better and Mike Evans helps
Ryan - smoking year but he is the same guy. good not great QB but always on the field
Stafford - Have never been a big fan but end of season he is usually lurking among the fantasy QB1s
---going for a small gap here 1/2 these guys will likely be top 10QB's---
Ben - too many injuries. Love the toughness but it is catching up (Luck/Newton should be taking notes)
Cousins - proved it on a prove it deal after a very rough start to the season. didn't love his offense weapons but he made it work
Wentz - probably lying to myself that I would trade him for some of the guys above him
Mariota - dude needs to show he he can play a full season before makin my top 10. Dangerous dual threat QB like Cam but 30lbs lighter
Dalton - most underrated/underappreciated QB since Romo. Fantasy doesn't care he doesn't win in the playoffs
Dak (probably a homer pick)
--gap---
Bortles - 1/4 of the league is scrambling for a starting QB and a he has QB4 finish and a QB9 finish? Can't wait to see who they think is a better option.
Brees - are you kidding? among the best fantasy QB's ever. I will worry about declining fantasy #'s when he retires
Brady - GOAT? Like Brees: I will worry about declining #'s when he retires
--gap--
Tyrod - without Watkins most of the year and still had BUF competing. Undervalued not underrated.
Rivers - competitive but see Big Ben. Also too many INT's. Bad Oline for entire career it seems
Tie*Eli - inconsistency has a picture of Eli to define it...still 2 Lombardi's and enough fantasy relevant seasons to stay on the list
Tie*Tannehill - not sure why I always root for him but he does look legit in stretches

Not completely perfectly thought out but kinda ad hoc I think this is how I feel about it. Obviously I tried buying on some guys I think might be undervalued but didn't get much done this offseason with QB's.

*full disclosure* did 2 superflex startups and a 1 QB startup and drafted Newton in all of them

If I can wiggle around the state bs and get into MFL10's I will likely own him in a few there too with his depressed value
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams