Steak or Draft?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Steak or Draft?

Postby OCPunisher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 am

Hello friends,

An unfortunate circumstance has developed around our annual draft party this year.
- Last month, our commissioner set the date for our draft party to July 29th. It promised to be a fun Saturday afternoon of drafting players, smack-talking, drinking beer, and general tomfoolery. After the party, we'd probably go bar-hopping or head over to someone's house for even more fun and drinking. Finally, I should mention that I'm the defending champion this year, after literally starting from the bottom the first 2-3 years (I even called myself the Bye Week because I was so bad).
- However, this morning I got an email from one of my aunts that said our family's annual steak cookout would also be set for July 29th. Basically, this is an all-day event where an entire side of my family (between 50-100 people) gathers at someone's house and everyone gets to eat steaks, hang out by the pool, and enjoy themselves. And just to be clear, the steaks are high quality, and my family actually gets along great, unlike the stereotypical dysfunction that you see on TV.

So, now I am faced with a difficult decision worthy of a Matthew Berry article: steak or draft? Or, to borrow from an age-old question: how much do I really love fantasy football?
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Steak or Draft?

Postby Ray Finkle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am

50-100 people is a nice sized family gathering. Sounds like 11+ fantasy football team owners would mix right in to that party barely noticed. In other words...have the draft party at the same location as the meat party.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am

July 29 is still a whiles away. Would your leaguemates be open to moving it to another day? Also, this is why I don't like holding drafts in the summer because everyone has plans (vacations, weddings, family steak outings...).

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am 50-100 people is a nice sized family gathering. Sounds like 11+ fantasy football team owners would mix right in to that party barely noticed. In other words...have the draft party at the same location as the meat party.
:lol: I like this idea as well!

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am

If you are married, this is an easy one. What would your wife think about you going to the draft? :lol:

If not married, then it is a lot more complicated. How would your family react if you told them you already comitted to going to your league's draft? If their reaction could cause any type of problem going forward, I would monitor the draft from the family party as best as possible.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 am

Anyone have to travel from out of town for either event?

berserkers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby berserkers » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 am

Steak party sounds great! I've been enjoying draft parties for over twenty years, but now my "old friend leagues" are dynasty leagues so we usually draft late May. Late July does seem early for redrafts. If they cant make the party, see if they'll accommodate your needs. Family gatherings like that don't always last forever. Enjoy those reunions while you can.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 am

Draft is during the afternoon, whereas the family gathering is an all day affair. If the travel isn't too burdensome, why not do both? Draft and engage in tomfoolery, then hit the family function in peak form.

OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Postby OCPunisher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

Unfortunately the draft is in Milwaukee and the family party is in Green Bay, so it is not possible to combine them. We chose to do this year's draft in Milwaukee as opposed to Madison for the three guys who normally have to travel every year.

We also already took a vote on what date to have the draft, and this one was the overwhelming majority.

EDIT: Doing both is also not an option due to my very young child.

I'm leaning towards telling the family that I have a prior commitment, especially since I've already squared it away with the wife. Just thought it would be a lighter story to share among this fine community of die-hards.
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

As this is a FF forum, I don't want to get too deep nor dark. After thinking about it, tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. Considering the size of your family party, it is possible not every one of them will be here next year for the next party. Go to the family party and somehow monitor the draft(if it cannot be moved).

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am

OCPunisher wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am Unfortunately the draft is in Milwaukee and the family party is in Green Bay, so it is not possible to combine them. We chose to do this year's draft in Milwaukee as opposed to Madison for the three guys who normally have to travel every year.

We also already took a vote on what date to have the draft, and this one was the overwhelming majority.

I'm leaning towards telling the family that I have a prior commitment, especially since I've already squared it away with the wife. Just thought it would be a lighter story to share among this fine community of die-hards.
Dude, this is your family. That's your #1 priority. This is an odd thing to say on an FF site, but screw FF.
And the bolded above just clinches it for me even more. You have a young child who is watching your every move and will emulate you. You are essentially showing him or her that family is of lesser importance than your hobby.
If I were you, I would treasure every moment with your child and your family.
If your FF guys don't understand that, then you're not a fit for the league.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

thewirelessathlete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby thewirelessathlete » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

SCYCPA wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am
OCPunisher wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am Unfortunately the draft is in Milwaukee and the family party is in Green Bay, so it is not possible to combine them. We chose to do this year's draft in Milwaukee as opposed to Madison for the three guys who normally have to travel every year.

Dude, this is your family. That's your #1 priority. This is an odd thing to say on an FF site, but screw FF.
And the bolded above just clinches it for me even more. You have a young child who is watching your every move and will emulate you. You are essentially showing him or her that family is of lesser importance than your hobby.
If I were you, I would treasure every moment with your child and your family.
If your FF guys don't understand that, then you're not a fit for the league.
+1 (do we do that around here anymore? :lol: )

Monitor the draft from the family party unless the wife genuinely doesn't want to go to the family party herself. That is the only way I would consider not going to the family party.

Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wolfepack28 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:15 am

Lol yeah steak no question. I think I'd be strangled if I told anyone that I couldn't make the huge family gathering because of a FF draft. I'd actually be embarrassed telling anyone outside the FF world haha

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

I pretty much always do what I committed to first. I'm sure there are exceptions, but no recent ones come to mind ..... Although I don't get invited to much!!
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

Wolfepack28 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:15 am Lol yeah steak no question. I think I'd be strangled if I told anyone that I couldn't make the huge family gathering because of a FF draft. I'd actually be embarrassed telling anyone outside the FF world haha
Lol. This was my first thought too.

OCPunisher wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am Unfortunately the draft is in Milwaukee and the family party is in Green Bay, so it is not possible to combine them.
I live in Manitowoc and might be able to come off the bench for you at whichever event you can't get to. Fwiw, I rank steak higher than a draft party.