What constitutes a fair first offer?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What constitutes a fair first offer?

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Tsunami wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm
Goddard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 pm Just tried this for shits and giggles, but according to a trade calculator:

OBJ (just went with the top dynasty asset) = 58.2

Crabtree, Moncrief, Parker, Pryor, Crowder = 60.8

This to me is the exact definition of 4 (in this case 5) quarters not equaling a dollar. Maybe based on pure value it's even, but find me an OBJ owner that would take this deal.
Imagine you've just taken over a team in a large league and OBJ is your only good player. This isn't a bad trade at all. This is the equivalent of 5 future 1sts in a 12 team league. I would do this deal if I wasn't in a position to win.
That might actually be the only case where I accept this, but even then, I'd rather get 5 future 1sts then some of these WRs. But to that point, the trade calculator doesn't know what the rest of your team looks like (what if you're a contender and someone's offering this to you?). The point is, it's completely based on a numerical value.

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Goddard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm
Goddard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 pm Just tried this for shits and giggles, but according to a trade calculator:

This to me is the exact definition of 4 (in this case 5) quarters not equaling a dollar. Maybe based on pure value it's even, but find me an OBJ owner that would take this deal.
Imagine you've just taken over a team in a large league and OBJ is your only good player. This isn't a bad trade at all. This is the equivalent of 5 future 1sts in a 12 team league. I would do this deal if I wasn't in a position to win.
That might actually be the only case where I accept this, but even then, I'd rather get 5 future 1sts then some of these WRs. But to that point, the trade calculator doesn't know what the rest of your team looks like (what if you're a contender and someone's offering this to you?). The point is, it's completely based on a numerical value.
I think the calculator is a limited tool that can provide one view of value but that there are other things that should be considered as well. It can't be the only tool to look at a trade but it can help.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

To be honest I was just thinking the same thing. Not sure I would sell OBJ for that, but it's darn close
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

maxhyde wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm
SCYCPA wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm
onetwothree wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm Make an offer you'd be willing to accept yourself if the roles were reversed.

If you have to "sell" your offer with long paragraphs convincing the other owner how great it is, it's probably not a good offer. Save the negging for the bar and the haggling for the swap meet! :P

Great way of putting it. I dislike dealing with other owners who have to dicker over and nickel-and-dime every aspect of a deal. If that last inch of position is so important to them, I'd rather just walk away.
Obviously important to you as well if you walk away rather than cede...deals I initiate I cede to them if it is of little consequence.
I feel every now and then losing a deal isn't the worst thing.
I do very little back and forth though...ever. I just have more interest in making a deal than the process of coming to a deal through a lengthy negotiation like others do. I understand why they get a a rush from it but not for me...
Yes, if I initiate the deal, I don't worry about it, chalk it up to buyers premium.
It's the ones, like one guy in one of my leagues recently, who initiate the talks, get you to compromise with them, and then they haggle over a 2nd round pick or a slot of draft position like it is the end of the world.

"Givers have to set limits because takers don't have any".
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

That's how I use it, as a numerical value. I tailor my rankings to the league settings and then use the calc to determine within that set of players what trades to make. It's for tactics not strategy, you don't have to trade your only QB for a WR you don't need just because it improves the trade value of your win now team.

As far as "I'd rather get 5 future 1sts than these WRs" I don't think that way, at least not until the season starts. Nobody is going to have 5 future 1sts. I don't particularly like Crowder and Pryor and I don't want to rebuild with Crabtree, but someone likes them. I'll just flip them. You have to be able to take what someone can give and not think about how it helps your team immediately. That doesn't matter, if your valuation is accurate you can just trade them.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

To be honest I was just thinking the same thing. Not sure I would sell OBJ for that, but it's darn close
Yeah, I'd never sell OBJ for that in a million years. If you're trading a stud, should at least get an elite level player in return.
Not to mention, on the other side, how many teams can realistically give up 5 players, especially at the same position, to get one? Those kinds of trades gut a team.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm

in truth there is no bad initial offer assuming you are dealing with adults . I see although often that is not the case when people run around peeing their pants like their hair is on fire because someone sends them a weak or cheap initial offer . It was an offer not a contract in blood , simmer down francis I didn't ask for your P.I.N. - perhaps if you are too busy to respond then perhaps being in 8 or 10 or 20 leagues is too much and you need to scale back a bit there tiger .
My guess is many of the same people that would bitch about the 5 for 1 deal are the same people that go pay 10 or 15 $ for a sixer of bison piss or dog puke smelling chocolate or tangerine flavored beer without blinking thinking they are edgy and precocious , in reality pretentious & pathetic is likely closer to the truth.
One point I agree with if you have to explain why the trade is good for me I am likely going to do you a favor and reject the deal " for your own good" . A trade is like a joke if you have to explain it , then it either sucks or it is too obscure to appreciate the damned thing.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Tsunami wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

That's how I use it, as a numerical value. I tailor my rankings to the league settings and then use the calc to determine within that set of players what trades to make. It's for tactics not strategy, you don't have to trade your only QB for a WR you don't need just because it improves the trade value of your win now team.

As far as "I'd rather get 5 future 1sts than these WRs" I don't think that way, at least not until the season starts. Nobody is going to have 5 future 1sts. I don't particularly like Crowder and Pryor and I don't want to rebuild with Crabtree, but someone likes them. I'll just flip them. You have to be able to take what someone can give and not think about how it helps your team immediately. That doesn't matter, if your valuation is accurate you can just trade them.
I agree that it would be difficult to find a team with 5 future 1sts, but I'd still rather pick 2 or 3 of WRs that I like and ask for 2 future 1sts if possible. And who's to say you'll get equal/fair value for Crabtree/Pryor/Crowder if you try to flip them? Yes, the trade calculator can be helpful if you're using it as a tool to gauge value, but my point was it shouldn't be the only thing you're using.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm in truth there is no bad initial offer assuming you are dealing with adults . I see although often that is not the case when people run around peeing their pants like their hair is on fire because someone sends them a weak or cheap initial offer . It was an offer not a contract in blood , simmer down francis I didn't ask for your P.I.N. - perhaps if you are too busy to respond then perhaps being in 8 or 10 or 20 leagues is too much and you need to scale back a bit there tiger .
My guess is many of the same people that would bitch about the 5 for 1 deal are the same people that go pay 10 or 15 $ for a sixer of bison piss or dog puke smelling chocolate or tangerine flavored beer without blinking thinking they are edgy and precocious , in reality pretentious & pathetic is likely closer to the truth.
One point I agree with if you have to explain why the trade is good for me I am likely going to do you a favor and reject the deal " for your own good" . A trade is like a joke if you have to explain it , then it either sucks or it is too obscure to appreciate the damned thing.
I was with you till I got to this part. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and please correct me if I am, but are you saying if someone turns down 5 average players/pieces for their 1 stud is pretentious and pathetic? Or did you mean the person offering that and expecting it to get accepted is the flavored beer drinking hipster?

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Now that we've played 8 years, something just hit me. Trading sucks. Tons of negatives, not enough positives.

First, there's not many trades, and second, there's always a few from "that guy" that are just farm team fleecing jobs. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Personally, I think, going forward, I'd much rather have a larger taxi squad and ~6 rookie draft picks every year instead of 4. That way it's all on me and I don't waste time with back-and-forth traders.

Although, I can't control the asshat trades, I at least do complain about them openly in hopes things change.

BOT, "fair" is naturally subjective in the case of trades. It always has been. Sure there's lists and ranks, but do they matter all the time to everyone? Of course not. What's fair to you 100% could be 0% fair to someone else. Sometimes legit, sometimes just because some GMs are annoying or difficult to deal with. Or sometimes, they have your same philosophy or preferences - that can actually work against you because they want the same sort of players you do. So why trade? Excepting a truly desperate hole at a given position?

Every situation, team, league roster limits, league scoring system and GM is different. It reminds me of the NBA All Stars - there's always some players you'll disagree with on how "deserving" or valuable or talented they are, or if they got snubbed and should have been voted in, for a ton of different reasons.
Last edited by DLF3000 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Most 1st offers suck. It's not just a rule of thumb for dynasty, but negotiating in general. Nobody ever starts with their highest offer, and you shouldn't. On Shark Tank for example, the sharks will always start low, but when other sharks start making bids or they find out more valuable pieces of information (unexpectedly high sales), they up the ante and get competitive.

We all value players differently, so it's impossible for a universal fair offer. My best idea of a fair 1st offer is a deal that isn't intellectually dishonest. If you're going to offer me a late 1st and Jerick McKinnon for Todd Gurley, then I'm more likely to just reject with no response and go on with my day. If you offer me 1.03, then I think we can negotiate (if I'm interested in moving him that is).

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

No I meant the person bitching about receiving an offer like that ? Its an offer an I could see many reasons to accept that offer for OBJ . If you had no depth then giving up a stud for many mix and match pieces could be fine roster management . I have been beating the brains out of people for years that must have the studs and then 1st injury or bye week they are moaning about bad luck or the fantasy gods hating them. Having 5 solid wr is going to cover any bye week issues and guard against even serious injury woes . That said it would be solely roster dependent , If I am starting from scratch and so is everyone else then obviously OBJ is the 1:1 or real close but after the draft ends I intend to win games and then games from week 4 til week 12 with all the bye weeks are nearly as important as weeks 14 through 16 . Obj isn't getting you to the playoffs by himself but 5 weekly starters can be a great boon in that effort . If you have an injury at rb and obj is all you have you are done or if you are other owners mercy you will sell obj for a lesser wr and a rb but with 5 guys you can perhaps go get some help
without destroying the integrity of your team..
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm in truth there is no bad initial offer assuming you are dealing with adults . I see although often that is not the case when people run around peeing their pants like their hair is on fire because someone sends them a weak or cheap initial offer . It was an offer not a contract in blood , simmer down francis I didn't ask for your P.I.N. - perhaps if you are too busy to respond then perhaps being in 8 or 10 or 20 leagues is too much and you need to scale back a bit there tiger .
But there are initial bad offers. Not sure why you think there can't be any? I just finished start up draft last week. Proceeded to get an offer of the other teams player picked in round 19 for my player picked in round 12. He "sweetened" the deal with a 2018 4th rd pick. How is this a good offer? Don't think I'm being all high and mighty here. Does the offer really bother me? No. Is it bad? Yes

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

See a lot of comments about "imagine your trade from other end, would you make the trade". That sound great but that's not really what we do.
We often look for players on our roster that have higher market value then our personal valuation. We then try to sell these high value players for players on another team that have a lower market value compared to what we believe is their true worth. You know: Buy Low Sell High!!!! We also look for the sleepers or players we believe are ready to break out; players for which we NEVER offer our believed anticipated value since would be Buying HIGH.
I'm not saying we should try to rip people off or offer a bunch of crap that the calculator says adds up to the value of the player we want. But I am saying we often play Fantasy Football Stock Market and make trades that look great for the other owner today while fully believing we've just made a steal of deal for later.

A fair first offer then is one that is made using current market value of players with consideration to team need and league scoring. It should be influenced by your personal valuations and belief but not based entirely on your view of the assets involved.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Missile wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm
But there are initial bad offers. Not sure why you think there can't be any? I just finished start up draft last week. Proceeded to get an offer of the other teams player picked in round 19 for my player picked in round 12. He "sweetened" the deal with a 2018 4th rd pick. How is this a good offer? Don't think I'm being all high and mighty here. Does the offer really bother me? No. Is it bad? Yes
so to clarify perhaps.
bad offers can happen but in perception only , as in my perceived value and the other manager's perceived values are off sometimes substantially absolutely can agree on that but it can start you on the path, any offer can be the start of a fruitful negotiation. This assumes it is not part of a spamstorm I have encountered that , those are the real bad offers and the single most annoying owners.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci