2017 Rookie QBs - Are you Buying the Hype?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

On Talent Alone, Who Would You Draft?

Watson
34%
Trubisky
21%
Kizer
7%
Mahomes
37%

Total votes: 67

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2017 Rookie QBs - Are you Buying the Hype?

Postby maxhyde » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:11 am

I will pass on QB's in this draft until at least the 2nd round in my superflex leagues. The only guy I even remotely have any interest at where I think he might be available is Mahomes. See a little of that old school gunslinger in him where he legitimately tries to win the game on every throw. Needs a ton of coaching and refinement but he is the only QB I will want on my team.

That isn't to say I won't draft others but I will be drafting them more as potential assets for deals.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

4tdsIn1game4PolkHigh
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 4tdsIn1game4PolkHigh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am

Any thoughts on Peterman?

OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Postby OCPunisher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am

In short: No.

Even in a 2QB league where the value of that position is presumably twice that of a normal league, I still wouldn't do it. This happens every year to real GMs on real teams. They get so enamored by the desire to have "a guy" that they will try to make anyone available into that "guy", even if he just isn't that good. This is the #1 reason why bad teams continue to be bad: they waste top-end resources year after year on not-top-end talent and are DUMBfounded when that not-top-end-talent performs as such.

Take the Browns for example. They have a top-end pick this year, and they're actually considering a mediocre QB like Mitch Trubisky over a much more talented non-QB like Myles Garrett. Granted, it's entirely possible that this is all just media hype to mentally psyche someone else into making an even dumber move, but let's call it what it is. This is the same thing they've done for years and years, and look where it's gotten them. Yet another top draft pick, yet another losing season, etc. etc.

Don't be the Browns guy. Take the good players regardless of what position they play.
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

None of these guys impress me one bit. I hold 2.05 and 2.06 in a Superflex with only Matt Ryan on my roster. But I don't think I'd take a QB there, even if all are still on the board. Yes, the excitement level will rise once landings spot happen. But these guys have so many weaknesses...

Trubisky: Why come out after only one year? Sure you played good, but why be greedy? You're a QB! No need to rush it. Also didn't impress me with when on Gruden. Doesn't have the confidence or charisma that a QB needs.

Kizer: Yeah right. If you're college coach says your coming out early, you're really coming out early! I wouldn't take this guy with pick 5.12.

Mahomes: Gunslinger. Will he be too stubborn to change his game? How long will it take? Good for a team like the Giants, who could sit this guy for 2 - 3 years and develop him. Bad for any team that tries to rush this guy, even the Cards. Needs more than 1 season on the bench.

Watson: Doesn't have the arm strength. Bad decisions all over his tape. Mike Williams looked great, though!

Webb: Probably my favorite guy of the class. Good posture, good command, good power. When I watched his tape, I liked what I saw. But it was Chad Hensen that really jumped out at me! :lol:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

With so many good teams talking about looking for a replacement for their aging QBs, I can't help but think that everyone views this class as crap and is hoping to push QB up the draft board of desperate teams letting better players fall in the draft. Otherwise, why give out this information?

Kizer has poor mobility and doesn't have the quick release necessary to offset it. He'll get killed behind anything but an elite NFL line.

Watson has a major mechanical flaw that is causing his gutless velocity, but given that it was causing problems in college, I would think it's been worked on and that work has failed. He could work out, and I really hope he does, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Mahomes has smaller hands than you'd like. Likely has the athleticism to make him productive, but could flame out similar to a Colin Kaepernick. That said, Oakland seems to have figured out a system capable of minimizing the issues with this while also being incredibly productive under Carr. I'm still a bit hesitant to call it a complete success with the team replacing their offensive coordinator, but we'll see if it's a long term solution.

Webb has the same issue as Mahomes.

Peterman is a touch light on velocity. I'm hesitant to put too much into this metric, when its close, because it hasn't been around that long and the only two first rounders that clocked in below the 55 threshold that gets thrown around were EJ Manuel & Jake Locker, so it's not like there has been anyone that had all the tools and then failed exclusively because of poor velocity.

Trubisky doesn't raise any red flags for me. The one year as a starter could be a thing, but it just doesn't happen often enough for me to lend any stats generated by it much credence.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm not taking any QBs this year, unless one falls to the late 2nd that I like in my superflex league. Note: I'm pretty set at QB, but wouldn't trust the QBs this year, even if I wasn't.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:29 am

im not a huge fan of any of these qb and dont believe any should be 1st rd picks, but mahomes is the best of the group imo.
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

notorioustot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby notorioustot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 am

In my 14 team Superflex I expect the QB run to start around 1.10 or so. Happens every year.
14 Team Dynasty League - 25 Active Roster
PPR Superflex, 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 K 1 DST

QB: Mahomes; Goff; Kyler; Dobbs; Aiden; DTR;
RB: Rhamondre; ETN; Gibson; CEH; Jet; Ty; Chase; White
WR: AJB; Ja'Marr; Lazard; Mooney; Deebo; Phillips; Jauan
TE: Hock;
K: McManus
Def: GB; Cincy

IR:

Picks: 2024 2 3 4 5
2025 2 3 4 5
2026 2 3 4 5

Team 2: 12 teams, otherwise, same rules above:
QB: Burrow; Fields; Stafford; Aiden; Bagnet
RB: Bijan; E. Mitchell; Mostert; Pacheco; Pollard; Kendre; Dowdle; Keaton M
WR: Nico; DJ Moore; Skyy; DPJ; Deebo; Puka; C Tillman; Philips
TE: Kelce;
K: Hopkins
DST: BUFF

IR: Knox, Palmer

Picks:
2024 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 team, 30 Active, same rules above:
QB: Tua; Watson; Tannehill; Minshew; Trask
RB: Ekeler; Henry; Kamara; Mostert; Dillon; E. Dotson; C. Evans; E. Mitchell; S. Tucker
WR: Diggs; Keenan; Evans; Deebo; Tee; Mims; Marshall
TE: Kelce; Ferguson; Kraft; Irv Jr.;
K: Elliott
DST: Cowboys; Phins

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:24 am

Just be a contrarian here, Mahomes is leading this poll and we see a guy who can sling it all over the field at 60MPH, YUGE arm but is skittish in the pocket with happy feet......

Weren't people saying the same about guys like Jamarcus? The allure of tremendous upside is always there with the ability to throw a football over a mountain.....yet it feels like we've seen plenty of guys like Mahomes before.

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 am

I think Mahomes is the guy because he's the most fun to watch. On a certain level, you can enjoy watching him play whether or not he's actually doing a good job for his NFL team. Combine that with none of the prospects being a clear #1 QB and it makes it easy for him to float to the top. Keep in mind, might have even said this earlier in the thread, but if you are worried about Watson's ball velocity, you should also be worried about Mahomes's Air Raid offense. Both of them have a poor success rate in the NFL.

I was really hyped to take a QB at the beginning of the 2nd round this year in my superflex given QBs general value, but I've moved on to looking at adding depth at other positions. I'd really prefer to take one of them in the 3rd as an investment that returns value after they've sat for a year or so. That being said, I expect at least 2 QBs to go in the first round of my superflex rookie draft, two teams with only one starting QB on the roster are unlikely to risk whichever prospect they like going to another team.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am

I think if things go as some of the buzz is going these QB's are going to be drafted in 2QB/SF leagues much higher than I originally thought
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

maxhyde wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am I think if things go as some of the buzz is going these QB's are going to be drafted in 2QB/SF leagues much higher than I originally thought
Yeah, if there are 2 or 3 QBs who go top 10 or 15 in the draft tonight, then I could see some of these QBs being in the mid to late 1st range. Earliest I could see one still would be the 6th pick, but a QB needy team might reach in rookie drafts (similar to what teams are doing in the NFL draft).

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:33 am

Kramer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am
maxhyde wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am I think if things go as some of the buzz is going these QB's are going to be drafted in 2QB/SF leagues much higher than I originally thought
Yeah, if there are 2 or 3 QBs who go top 10 or 15 in the draft tonight, then I could see some of these QBs being in the mid to late 1st range. Earliest I could see one still would be the 6th pick, but a QB needy team might reach in rookie drafts (similar to what teams are doing in the NFL draft).
Cleveland it probably still trying to trade up ahead of #6 to get Trubisky. I've seen some of the speculation saying that they now may take him at #1 but they've also hinted over the last couple of weeks that they already know who they are taking there. If that were the case and it is the QB, then why continue to move up? Unless it was a "just in case" scenario if they could move up at a low enough cost to take Garrett at #1.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

I think the Browns are just exploring all their options and have deals set up in place in case they decide to go in another direction. In the end, I do fully expect them to take Garrett, and then try to trade up to 5 or 6 to take Trubisky if he's still available.

...but crazier things have happened. I love the suspense.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 am

skip wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:33 am
Kramer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am
Cleveland it probably still trying to trade up ahead of #6 to get Trubisky. I've seen some of the speculation saying that they now may take him at #1 but they've also hinted over the last couple of weeks that they already know who they are taking there. If that were the case and it is the QB, then why continue to move up? Unless it was a "just in case" scenario if they could move up at a low enough cost to take Garrett at #1.
I think the Browns are the team that has the deal in place with the Titans #5 if Trubisky/Fournette are still there