Jay Cutler is Marques Colston... #SecretSuperstar

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Jay Cutler is Marques Colston... #SecretSuperstar

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Ok, the title is tongue in cheek. Slightly. And just a fair warning, this is more of a general football topic than dynasty fantasy football. But bear with me.

Jay Cutler is rumored to be retiring, and regardless of whether or not that's the case, he's certainly nearing the end of what most consider an underwhelming (perhaps a failure of a) career.

But his career has been WILDLY successful. Just in terms of being a pro athlete, not necessarily compared to other starting QBs.

For the last decade, Mr. Cutler has been one of the 20 or 25 best humans on EARTH, for the occupation he holds. Think about that. He's one of the top couple dozen men on the planet, at throwing the pigskin.

Being a top 25 guy at any single job in pro sports is impressive, especially when you've done it for a decade.

I'm not a Cutler fan, but we sure like to bash his career as if he's had the track record of a Kenny Britt or Stephen Hill, rather than: Marques Colston, a WR who's well-remembered for being a very solid asset, both in real life & in fantasty, for just under a decade. Neither were elite studs, but top 20-25 at their respective occupations.

Again, this is not a post to defend him as a teammate or leader, & certainly not as a fantasy asset. He of course never lit the world on fire in any of those regards. But a failure? That's an impressive failure of a career, if you ask me!

- Bored while I wait anxiously for the draft.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jay Cutler is Marques Colston... #SecretSuperstar

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I will always have a soft spot for smokin jay he led me to my only two undefeated championship seasons . Better than most but not as good as he could have been.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 pm

I've got crazy respect for any man that can start at QB at that level, especially for that long. So yeah Cutler had a fine career. I can understand why fans got frustrated watching him though. Glad he was never a starter for my favorite team and that's saying a lot...Go Lions!

splendorlex
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby splendorlex » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Especially considering he also did it as a Type 1 Diabetic. That's no joke. I don't know how Houston doesn't try to bring him on, he could make Nuk magic, if you ask me.
My DLF Articles
Twitter: @RyanCFinley
DLF Premium League
Team IrishDoom
Kitchen Sink 4
First Pick of Destiny
Maddog Football League (Keeper)
F Bombs

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I think one of the biggest reasons people get tired of watching Cutler is because when you watch him, it APPEARS that he has it all. He should/could be a star. He's the type of guy you watch and think he just has "it." Yet, he's got something about his persona that is the opposite of "it." It's almost like watching Joe Namath try to kiss a reporter he has no shot with...like an incomplete star, shining in some respects and doing the opposite in others. Namath still had the swagger and confidence you look for, but he didn't have the goods anymore. Cutler has the goods, and at times seems to have the confidence, but at other times almost seems to have TOO much confidence? Like he just doesn't care anymore?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Been a Cutler fan since he was coming out. I remember him basically calling out Vince Young and Matt Leinart about not doing the Combine. Dude could sling it. I agree he seems like he could have been so much more, but all told he put together a strong, long career. I never heard much about work ethic, but it definitely seems that his casual, non-QB level of leadership was a downfall. That and his tendency to implode if things got rough early. He did get killed behind some of his OL though, something he never got credit for while standing strong in there and not really making stink about. The beatings have left other QBs with shorter careers.

I agree he is an under appreciated athlete. He did some good stuff. Selfishly I wanted him to give me a run with the Jets this year, though it would provide neither side anything worthwhile. The media would kill it too. I do hope he goes to Houston though, as I feel he very well still may post draft. People may be concerned with his demeanor in the room though on a young buck, but winning may trump that. We will see.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm

I was always Team Cutler over Team Rivers when they were AFC West rivals. I think Rivers had the better overall talent around him and Cutler just had a bad reputation that was unfairly placed on him. Not even sure where he got that reputation from.

It's crazy the expectations placed on people in sports where the measuring stick is rings. Especially at the lead positions like QB.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I've always liked Cutler more than most. If he had a better attitude he could have been special. His attitude from a bad play is what makes people's opinion of Romo and Eli higher than Cutler IMO. I would love to see Houston bring him in and give him another shot, but at this point in his career, I don't think Cutler even cares enough
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 pm

I loved cutler for the few years he had Marshall and Jeffrey, and bennett, that was honestly so much fun to watch them out big any other team. It was all about his attitude, he just seemed like he didnt care and wouldn't put in the work mentally, but dude was a gun slinger
Mad respect for the guy
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 am

Cutler's attutide was partially to blame on the reckless Chicago media. I'm reminded of Jim McMahon when I think of what it takes to play QB in that city. It truly is the most over-scrutinized hotseat in all of sports. There are too many Stephon A. Smithes in Chicago. Reckless.

Only one member of the Chicago media appreciated Jay Cutler, and it's no coincidence that he was also an NFL player. Tom Waddle seems to be above all of the hot-take analysis and possesses true football knowledge.
FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm I never heard much about work ethic, but it definitely seems that his casual, non-QB level of leadership was a downfall... People may be concerned with his demeanor in the room though on a young buck...
Cutler put in overtime in the classroom. He had six different offensive coordinators. He had no other choice than to show up early and stay late. If you want any evidence of this ask his teammates how they felt about his leadership.
Kyle Long wrote: Was fun while it lasted amigo, I'd give my leg for this dude.... Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude.
Zach Miller wrote: I'm sorry we weren't better for YOU. You took every bullet for our football team and never once pointed a finger or deflected anything! Always called a spade a spade, stand up man and a tough S.O.B.... Always had my back brother and for that I thank you!
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:53 am

Bruiser wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 am Cutler's attutide was partially to blame on the reckless Chicago media. I'm reminded of Jim McMahon when I think of what it takes to play QB in that city. It truly is the most over-scrutinized hotseat in all of sports. There are too many Stephon A. Smithes in Chicago. Reckless.

Only one member of the Chicago media appreciated Jay Cutler, and it's no coincidence that he was also an NFL player. Tom Waddle seems to be above all of the hot-take analysis and possesses true football knowledge.
FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm I never heard much about work ethic, but it definitely seems that his casual, non-QB level of leadership was a downfall... People may be concerned with his demeanor in the room though on a young buck...
Cutler put in overtime in the classroom. He had six different offensive coordinators. He had no other choice than to show up early and stay late. If you want any evidence of this ask his teammates how they felt about his leadership.
Kyle Long wrote: Was fun while it lasted amigo, I'd give my leg for this dude.... Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude.
Zach Miller wrote: I'm sorry we weren't better for YOU. You took every bullet for our football team and never once pointed a finger or deflected anything! Always called a spade a spade, stand up man and a tough S.O.B.... Always had my back brother and for that I thank you!
Nail Hammered.

Now he could throw up some epic stinkers..and those are hard for the media and fans (especially FF fans) to forget. And he gets unfairly ridiculed for the injury he suffered in the NFCC game against GB.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 pm

As a life long Broncos fan I think his career could have been much different if he and the Broncos could have found a way to coexist. There were tons of rumors about everything from him having an awkward dinner with Elway to a sincere phone call made by Cutler to Pat Bowlen that Bowlen later denied because he couldn't remember it. In hindsight some have blamed that on Bowlen's dementia. I was mad when denver traded him and still wonder what could have been. Manning was fine but he never felt like a true Bronco. His Super Bowl win with us seems a little tainted because he just felt like a rent-a-player. I think Cutler got sick of the Chicago media and fans dissecting every facial gesture and checked out a few years ago. If I'm Houston I draft a QB and call Cutler and ask him if he's interested in signing a 2 year deal with a contender.

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:52 pm

He's definitely underwhelmed and at the same time been under appreciated. That's a special feat.

I get the feeling he'll be back for one last run.