Rishard Matthews thoughts

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Rishard Matthews thoughts

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:11 am

Matthews has always been a solid WR, but as others said it is a low-volume passing offense, and they have been public about looking to add to their WR corps (first Cooks, and now Davis). And yes, while anyone they draft will be rookie, it seems like a player of Matthews ilk has their role usurped by a rookie nearly every year. With 2 first, I consider it better than 50% they add a guy with one of those picks.
I would still probably throw a late 2nd for him in case they strike out with the picks, but any more than that and I would rather just buy Robert Woods in the same role.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 am

I think Matthews is being severely undervalued right now, and I'd much rather have him than someone like Robert Woods (and Woods is a guy I've never been able to quit).

Matthews has shown good TD upside, and even with a highly drafted rookie I expect Matthews to be #1 or #2 in targets for the Titans this year. I don't think he offers big upside or the possibility of turning into a coveted dynasty asset, but I do think he's a guy you can buy as a WR3-4 that could substantially outperform his price. In my pre-draft projections at WR, I have Matthews as a low WR2 for this season. He's just one of my gut calls at the position this year. I'd give the 2.07-2.08 for him no questions asked, and might possibly pay a bit more depending on team makeup.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 am

BuckeyeNation wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 am I think Matthews is being severely undervalued right now, and I'd much rather have him than someone like Robert Woods (and Woods is a guy I've never been able to quit).

Matthews has shown good TD upside, and even with a highly drafted rookie I expect Matthews to be #1 or #2 in targets for the Titans this year. I don't think he offers big upside or the possibility of turning into a coveted dynasty asset, but I do think he's a guy you can buy as a WR3-4 that could substantially outperform his price. In my pre-draft projections at WR, I have Matthews as a low WR2 for this season. He's just one of my gut calls at the position this year. I'd give the 2.07-2.08 for him no questions asked, and might possibly pay a bit more depending on team makeup.
My thoughts exactly. He's not going to be a stud for you, but he is going to provide solid depth for a cheap price. Team owners need to realize not every player on your team can be a stud, you need role players.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 am

Agreed ^

He is a guy that if you have him as your wr2, you prob don't like it too much... but, if he is your wr4 or wr5, he provides a high enough floor along with his limited ceiling to give you an advantage come bye weeks and injuries.

Undervalued sure. Most people tend to be slightly agist and most look at and value upside to the point where they don't care as much about depth. ironically, most years, it isn't the best team on paper that wins the championship, it is the team that stays healthy and has depth.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

TurtleBK
Starter
Starter

Postby TurtleBK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

How is Richard Matthews similar to Davis or Williams? He is 6' and ran a 4.62 at the combine with elite shuttle and 3-cone numbers. He's a lot more of a Jarvis Landry type or a slow Kenny Stills than he is a prototypical No. 1 receiver. Don't let the targets fool you, Matthews is a good player but not at all a big body prototype. I think the big body guys are more worrisome for Tajae if we're blindly assuming it's a physical replacement without flexibility.

The way I see it, Davis and Williams would be worrisome for both Sharpe and Matthews as they would be drafted to lead the offense. Ross could fit in a slot or outside role, and it might be 50/50 who mans the other side if he is outside depending on Sharpe's development and how the Titans want to structure their offense. If we are again assuming blindly that height determines "who the draft pick is directly replacing" then Ross is more likely a replacement for Matthews. Good projection isn't so binary. When AJ Green is 30 and CIN drafts a 6' 3" elite receiver in the first round, we all know what's going on. But it really isn't so clear with TEN this year. They might want an elite slot to add to their two outside receivers, they might want another outside guy to compliment Matthews if they're disappointed with Sharpe as a player, they might want another young WR to grow outside opposite Sharpe and learn behind the veteran, they might just want to add more talent for Mariota and see where the chips fall.
"The Moonwalkers" 12-team Standard League Year 6 2017 -- QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE, Flex, DSt, K
QB: D Prescott, A Dalton, J Rosen
RB: D Johnson, I Crowell, D Cook, C McCaffrey, N Chubb, A Abdullah, E McGuire, S Perine, L Murray
WR: B Cooks, S Watkins, A Robinson, S Diggs, C Samuel, D Westbrook, Tyrell Williams, D Pettis, A Callaway, J Lasley, C Latimer, Cedrick Wilson, Jr
TE: ASJ, RSJ
D: Vikings K: M Prater

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Matthews is a solid WR2 in the NFL. Just coming into his own. Tajae Sharpe doesn't look like a threat but I guess it'll only be his 2nd year. I'd say Rishard is worth a late 1st/ early 2nd.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm

My point about Woods wasn't that I prefer Woods, more that I'd rather buy Woods for a 3rd than Matthews for a high 2nd if I was looking for cheap depth. Woods, like Matthews, is actually decent NFL WR with the chance to lead a low volume passing attack, but nobody really wants either starting on their team. Matthews has more TD upside, so I'd rather have him, but there are other cheap veteran options if you are looking to buy safe production without much upside.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

df_sarc
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby df_sarc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm

onetwothree wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 pm
df_sarc wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 pm Titans GM seems like someone who would draft a WR with a high pick in spite of the idiocy of doing so. There are two types of GM's- those who pick RB & WR high (those that trade up to pick a player) and those who pick defensive players (and trade down in the draft). I know the Titans traded down last year but even their dumb bleep GM had no choice to do that- he redeemed his terrible reputation himself by trading back up! and then picking a RB high in the 2nd round. Remember when the bare bones Colts chose P Dorsett in the 1st round? well, that's what the Titans could do.
Have heard mostly positives about the Titans GM. Seems to be making all the right moves so far. You must be thinking about the guy who was there before Robinson took over a year or so ago.
Wow what a surprise. I'm pretty gutted- as I quite like the Titans. Nothing against Corey Davis- I just dont think a franchise should pick a WR this high unless its a goody-to-shoes Randy Moss. I'm expecting a punter in the 2nd round.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:27 pm

df_sarc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm Wow what a surprise. I'm pretty gutted- as I quite like the Titans. Nothing against Corey Davis- I just dont think a franchise should pick a WR this high unless its a goody-to-shoes Randy Moss. I'm expecting a punter in the 2nd round.
Helluva pick!

I think they would've maneuvered differently if they didn't have the additional pick at 18 but this allowed them to go after their guy earlier. Based on the offensive run after, it looks like it was the right move and they were still able to add defense with the other 1st.