Corey Davis - is this it, will it get better?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Corey Davis and the small school

Postby Vcize » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm

CK_ wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am I know this is 2 sides of the spectrum but where would Corey be rated if he was in the stacked 2014 class and the currently weak 2016 class pre-draft? Since this class is rated as RB heavy it's interesting to me how he would be looked at in a stronger and in a weaker class in recent memory. I like him a lot but no workouts and surgery can be concerning.
I don't think he would be rated highly at all compared to some of the recent WR heavy drafts.

He's similar to Corey Coleman to me. A solid prospect that will likely be a mid 1st round NFL pick that is getting extra hype because of the lack of really elite WR prospects this year defaulting him to the top of this year's list.

But he's not a Cooper/White/Evans/Watkins/Blackmon/AJG/Julio type prospect.

The first WR will probably go off the board at 10 or later this year in the NFL draft despite there being some extremely WR barren teams in the top 10 that will likely be passing on them. Dating back to 2011 every year except last year has had at least one WR go earlier than that, and all but two of those years have had multiple WRs go earlier than that, often to teams that didn't really even need a WR that badly.

This year is awesome for RBs at the top, awesome for RB depth, awesome for WR depth, awesome for TEs at the top, and awesome for TE depth. QBs (at the top and depth) and WRs at the top are decidedly average compared to similar spots in most recent years.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

CK_ wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am I know this is 2 sides of the spectrum but where would Corey be rated if he was in the stacked 2014 class and the currently weak 2016 class pre-draft? Since this class is rated as RB heavy it's interesting to me how he would be looked at in a stronger and in a weaker class in recent memory. I like him a lot but no workouts and surgery can be concerning.
2014 was truly insane, he would probably be top 6-8 for WRs?

2016, he would be #1-2 on people's WR list
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:21 pm

To put it simply, it's the David Johnson conundrum. People tearing into a prospect because they don't understand them. Corey Davis is a tall athletic receiver who is a better route runner than contested 50/50 jump ball catcher, which is something many people simply can't come to terms with.

If he were like the aforementioned Kevin White (a limited route runner but caught 10 jump balls in college), everyone would be falling all over themselves to draft him. It's the pinnacle of nonsense.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

kasermap wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 am
philsrule06 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:13 am Jerry Rice, Mark Duper, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Pierre Garcon, Andre Reed, Marques Colston, Donald Driver, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss. Some smaller school standouts.
And only Rice and Moss were high draft picks. The odds are stacked against CD when it comes to comparing highly touted small school guys.
Except Davis is projected in the 1st round as well. Buzz is just quiet because he hasn't done any workouts.

Everything is available nowadays from game tape to stats to just about anything you could want to know. Not like for some of those listed names from back in the day where you had to send a scout under cloak and dagger to talk to the janitor who knows a guy who knows a guy who told him about some 8 foot tall WR with a 30 catch game with 400 yards and 15 TDs in just 3 quarters.

I don't think anything is stacked against him other than stubbornness of some front offices that still think "real" football is only played in the Power 5 conferences. Western Michigan made a New Year's Day Bowl (well, technically Jan 2 but you get the point)!

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:24 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm
2014 was truly insane, he would probably be top 6-8 for WRs?

2016, he would be #1-2 on people's WR list

Would happily take someone rated in the OBJ range of the draft.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:42 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 pm
Goddard wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:33 pm Doesn't concern me much. We've seen other players come out of small schools and be very successful before.
Who? I was trying to find that. Colston and vincent jackson are the only guys i can find
It was already pointed out but AB, he went to CMU.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:14 pm

MrUbuto, it almost feels like you're asking these questions just to ask them. You can easily look up his statistics against primarily Big10 opponents (and as a matter of fact I've posted them before) and you could easily find other superstars/small school players. :think:

'13

8 for 96, TD vs. Sparty
5 for 112, TD vs. NWstern
2 for 11, vs. Iowa

'14
4 for 46, TD vs. Purdue
8 for 176, 3 TD vs. Air Force (Bowl Game)

'15
10 for 154, TD vs. Sparty
6 for 42, vs. Ohio State
8 for 183, TD vs. Middle Tenn (Meh, Bowl Game)

'16
7 for 70, vs. NWstern
4 for 97, vs. Illinois
6 for 73, TD vs. Wisc (Bowl Game)

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:32 am

He was my 1.02 if he came out last year, yes I had him ahead of Treadwell. It's hard to evaluate 2014 without resorting to hindsight. I think he'd be behind Watkins, Evans and Cooks, and probably around the same area as OBJ.

There have been several good players to come out of the MAC and his performance against the Big 10 and in bowl games has been good. His tape is amazing and his route-running is fantastic. I'm very high on him and would have some major decisions to make if I still had a top 3 pick this year.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm

No concern here either
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 am

I'd still go with the WR out of the college that has cranked out NFL quality WRs over the last few years over Davis. That isn't necessarily meant to downgrade CD, but rather boost Mike Williams...

Watkins, Hopkins, M Bryant and now Williams... Yes, Watkins and Bryant have had issues with health or the chronic, but the talent and NFL pedigrees are undeniable... Williams is still my #1 WR in this draft.
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes, Tua Tagovailoa
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, M Wilson, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 2 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7..

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Corey Davis posted a video on Twitter. Looks good, said he's not 100%.
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm

CK_ wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm Corey Davis posted a video on Twitter. Looks good, said he's not 100%.
Long recovery for a "minor" ankle surgery.

I wonder if he got a promise from some team so he's shut it down a bit and taking it easy? Only heard he's taken visits to the Titans and the Eagles.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Payton34 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 am I'd still go with the WR out of the college that has cranked out NFL quality WRs over the last few years over Davis. That isn't necessarily meant to downgrade CD, but rather boost Mike Williams...

Watkins, Hopkins, M Bryant and now Williams... Yes, Watkins and Bryant have had issues with health or the chronic, but the talent and NFL pedigrees are undeniable... Williams is still my #1 WR in this draft.
I have Williams narrowly over Davis, but I wouldn't uniform scout. I think Davis is a better all-around WR than Williams. He has a better feel for the game, runs better routes, seems to have the finer points of the position down. Williams is more physically imposing though.

If Davis' stock is really dropping because of an ankle injury, then people should take advantage. Davis is really, really good.

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:47 pm

onetwothree wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm Long recovery for a "minor" ankle surgery.

I wonder if he got a promise from some team so he's shut it down a bit and taking it easy? Only heard he's taken visits to the Titans and the Eagles.
Teams will tell most visiting prospects that they "really like" them, but even if they verbally "promise" to take them, that's no guarantee which should keep prospects from trying their hardest to impress other teams as well. The more teams are interested, the higher he'll get drafted, the more money he's getting on his rookie contract.

If it's true that he only visited 2 teams I guess that means teams are confident in their evaluation and a personal visit wouldn't change much. Game tape and background checks are the most important tool for teams to evaluate prospects, followed by the combine interviews and medical check. Underwear-workout numbers have little impact on their evaluations, unless the numbers are extremely good or bad.

Just my 0.02 €
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 am

Pretty hype if he does end up going to play with his favorite QB

https://www.google.com/amp/www.musiccit ... avorite-qb